[comp.sys.mac] Email to America Online

u-atgoat%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Alan T Goates) (03/17/90)

  Is it possible to send mail from the internet to America Online? If so,
could someone let me know how?

  Thanks much,
  AL

John.Starta@p90.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (John Starta) (03/18/90)

In article <1990Mar17.011956.7404@hellgate.utah.edu>
(Alan T Goates) writes:

 >Is it possible to send mail from the internet to America
 >Online? If so, could someone let me know how?

There are no mail links between Internet and America Online at this time.
I don't know if there is one planned for the future, but I'm sure they'll
consider it if there were enough of a demand (i.e., members suggestions).

John
PATH: 114/15.90

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!15.90!John.Starta
Internet: John.Starta@p90.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier]) (03/21/90)

From article <14812.26034106@stjhmc.fidonet.org>, by John.Starta@p90.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (John Starta):
> In article <1990Mar17.011956.7404@hellgate.utah.edu> u-atgoat%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Alan T Goates) writes:
>  >Is it possible to send mail from the internet to America
>  >Online? If so, could someone let me know how?
> There are no mail links between Internet and America Online at this time.
> I don't know if there is one planned for the future, but I'm sure they'll
> consider it if there were enough of a demand (i.e., members suggestions).

Hiya, Mr. Starta. I've seen you on AOL a few times...

I asked the CS Manager about gateways in general for AOL e-mail. I also asked
him about specific links to specific networks. He said there were none at the
current time. I responded by outlining just what was to be gained by connecting
to some kind of UNIX mail site (uucp, internet, bitnet, compuserve, mci mail,
applelink... The list goes on, all in a monthly posting in various places on
the net). The CS Manager said he'd passed the info on to the programmers and
that they were working on it... My impression, though, is that they have
their hands full fixing all the cosmetic bugs in the AOL terminal software.
We'll have to see.
--
             Pete Gontier, Kiwi Software; Kiwi's opinions not presented here
                          Editor, Macker, the Online Mac Programming Journal

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (03/21/90)

In a message of 03/18/90, John Starta wrote -

> There are no mail links between Internet and America Online at this
> time. I don't know if there is one planned for the future, but I'm
> sure they'll consider it if there were enough of a demand (i.e.,
> members suggestions).

In their latest mailing to me, America OnLine said they were going to
totally revamp their message bases, and we'd see the result in June or
so.  I don't know if this will affect the mail area, though.  But it's
something to watch for.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix