[comp.sys.mac] Mac Bottom Hard Drives and Dollars and $ense

minich@a.cs.okstate.edu (MINICH ROBERT JOHN) (03/15/90)

Two questions, completely unrelated:

  Does anyone have any idea why a MacBottom hard disk (bought about a year ago)
would appear to Apple's Disk First Aid as a non-HFS volume? I'm guessing that
perhaps PCPC (the manufacturer) has some weirdo friver software or something.
Send me mail if you know what the deal is or can help.

Next Question:

  Would someone please tell me if Dollars and $ense version 1.x has some
incompatabilities with current system software (6.0.4). I seem to recall
something a long while back but can't remember the exact nature of the problem
if in fact there is one. Also, before you suggest upgrading to something
like a more recent version, I'm already working on that. I just want to confirm
or deny this stuff in the back of my head. However, I certainly wouldn't
mind a good description (better than Monogram's ad) of what the latest D&S
does different/better/new. All I know right now is that it HAS to be better
than the non-Mac interface on the 1.x version.

Thanx in advance,

Robert Minich
Oklahoma State University 	(I just pay the tuition)
minich@a.cs.okstate.edu                                  0 O
                                                        `---'
I don't speak, so I don't need a disclaimer. Sue my fingers -- they did this!

wiseman@tellab5.tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (03/22/90)

In article <5463@okstate.UUCP> minich@a.cs.okstate.edu (MINICH ROBERT JOHN) writes:
   [stuff deleted]
>or deny this stuff in the back of my head. However, I certainly wouldn't
>mind a good description (better than Monogram's ad) of what the latest D&S
>does different/better/new. All I know right now is that it HAS to be better
>than the non-Mac interface on the 1.x version.

This is fromw the back of my head too -- along with feelings that I have gotten
during talks with Monogram over the past few months so it may be a BIT better
than the ad. :-)

I get the impression that 5.0 is going to have the appearance (ie. user
interface functions) that is basically the same as 4.X versions perhaps with
some new features added. The picture shown in the ad that I saw was the typical
transaction entry/edit window that I like so much. It DID have a new button
that I could not make out.

I have the impression from talking with Monogram that one of the really big
deals is that the entire underlying database is different in order to eliminate
all those "database dirty" errors, etc.

As far as I'm concerned though, if they just took the basic 4.x stuff and made
it solid (eg. fix all the power typing keys) and then add two or three minor
improvements to it (such as a list of flag definitions), the update price would
be worth it.

Anyway, those are just my current impressions. I have not heard anything from
Monogram since my last note to them.

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM