[comp.sys.mac] Print Streaming

svc@well.sf.ca.us (Leonard Rosenthol) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar14.041825.18302@Neon.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
> [stuff about MPII & Low Level Printing deleted]
>
>Unfortunately, no one has told me that -- so none of my drivers support low
>level printing calls.  In fact, TN#192 (Suprises in LaserWriter 5.0 and Newer)
>says: "No Mo' Low:  Because of the problems supporting both the high-level
>interfaces in the background, the low-level interface is all but removed..."
>In several Tech Notes (124, 192) Apple specifically recommends AGAINST using
>the low level calls. The preview of System 7.x at last year's developer's
>conference says "No pass-through (Draft) printing".

	Oh believe me, I am well aware of what TN192 says... I have been over
that one and others with Apple for a while now - and was not very happy to
hear about the 'New Printing Archetecure' where a 'Text Streaming Mode' was
not longer going to be possible.

>DTS provides a document called "The PrintShop Mystique" to print driver
>writers that says: "Low-Level Calls.  Low level calls are a different breed
>of call, currently being supported only for historical reasons. ...It is
>recomended that all new development, both application and driver, avoid
>low-level implementations if at all possible."
>
>Given this, I really can't blame HP for not supporting low-level calls.  And
>I would have to argue your statement that "most third party drivers support
>this interface".
>
>If low level calls are important, then Apple should have told us so.  Maybe
>it is MicroPhone that is out of step.

	I agree that for 99% of the applications out there, there is no good
reason to use 'text streaming' and that the new 'architeture' where everything
is page based graphic modal is a good one given that.....
	HOWEVER - for those of us who write software which must emulate some-
thing which is _NOT_ a Macintosh, then there is most certainly a need for this
feature.  What do I tell my users who ask why they can buy a VT100 dumb terminal
which will do the right thing when talking to their host, as will the PC next
to them - but you can not do that with a Macintosh....'Sorry Apple fealt that
you didn't need to do that....'
	When a host asks me to print (by sending me a command sequence), it
does not know that I am a Macintosh - it only knows that I am a VT100 (for
example) and as such it expects me to work exactly like every other VT100
out there.  This means that I must STREAM my text to the directly connected
printer.  Now it is true that doing this to a page based printer makes not
sense (like to a LW) but for those people who have IW, and specifially for
this function, it MUST do that and do it IN REAL TIME just like the VT100.
	We also have clients like a Fire House where the data is xmitted over
modem to their 'hosted' Mac and the data must arrive IMMEDIATELY on the printer
from which it is turn off and taken with on the truck...How do you page print
this???
	If Apple is so concerned about 'Communications' and 'Connectivity' then
here is one area which they missed and needs some serious consideration!!

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures

P.S. I have had this conversation with many different people inside of Apple
incl. in DTS, System Software, CTB Development, and, of course, the Print Shop!

>Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (03/17/90)

In article <16701@well.sf.ca.us> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>In article <1990Mar14.041825.18302@Neon.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:

>	HOWEVER - for those of us who write software which must emulate some-
>thing which is _NOT_ a Macintosh, then there is most certainly a need for this
>feature.  What do I tell my users who ask why they can buy a VT100 dumb terminal
>which will do the right thing when talking to their host, as will the PC next
>to them - but you can not do that with a Macintosh....'Sorry Apple fealt that
>you didn't need to do that....'
>	When a host asks me to print (by sending me a command sequence), it
>does not know that I am a Macintosh - it only knows that I am a VT100 (for
>example) and as such it expects me to work exactly like every other VT100
>out there.  This means that I must STREAM my text to the directly connected
>printer.  Now it is true that doing this to a page based printer makes not

	So why not spool to a local disk file, and then image the text from
that file using the high-level calls? There's no need to pose a dialog;
just use the default print settings.

R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

svc@well.sf.ca.us (Leonard Rosenthol) (03/18/90)

In article <2246@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
>In article <16701@well.sf.ca.us> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>>In article <1990Mar14.041825.18302@Neon.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
>
>> [my original comments removed for inews]
>
>	So why not spool to a local disk file, and then image the text from
>that file using the high-level calls? There's no need to pose a dialog;
>just use the default print settings.

	That will only solve the problem for some users.  As I point out in
my original comments, which you chose to leave out of your quote, there are
_A NUMBER_ of instances where the data _MUST_ arrive as it is xmitted and if
I have to wait for a whole page to be captured (and then imaged) that is most
certianly not _IMMEDIATE_.  Also, there are situations where you may not get
a 'close printer' sequence...
	Other issues such as do you print every page as the page is complete?
or do you wait for all the data and then print the whole document?
	Spooling is a nice concept for a lot of things, and we will probably
investigate it for future products - _BUT_ it does not solve the problem that
Apple is dedicated to connectivity and telecommuncations and yet they refused
to be concerned about this aspect of it.  Great, I can talk to my Vax, but I
can not print.....

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Rich Siegel
> Staff Software Developer
> Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group

	Speaking of which, all of the Symantec Language Products use the low
level printer calls when doing nonToolbox printing for standard Pascal and C
I/O routines...eh Rich?? ;-)

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

ubi@ginger.sri.com (Ron Ueberschaer x4399) (03/22/90)

VersaTerm (TM) does a fine job of stream printing on an ImageWriter
and on a DeskWriter.  You choose "Print Stream" and it collects the
data on disk a page at a time & prints each page.  When you uncheck
"Print Stream" it prints out the last fraction of a page, plus a form
feed.  What's the problem?