[comp.sys.mac] Questions on shareware fees.

halam@umnd-cpe-cola.d.umn.edu (haseen alam) (03/13/90)

Hi to all,

I have a few questions.  Some shareware (SW) programs are really neat
and are worth their price.  But at times I run accross programs that in
my own opinion are a little over priced.  Also there are some that I do
not have an everyday use for, but they might come in handy at times.
Well now comes all the questions.

1) If I think a program is over priced, then what price should I pay for
   it?  Should I pay what I think is right?  Should I stop using the
   program?  Should I pay whatever the authors ask for? or Should I try
   to contact the author and explain why and how much I think is
   justified?

This also brings up aother question.

2) How would you determine wheather a SW product is over priced?  I do
   not know if there is any standard for this.  But I generally use the
   following check list and assign dollar values to each to come up with
   what I consider to be the right SW fee for that product.
   -- does it work on my Mac?
   -- does it do whatever it is supposed to do?
   -- what kind of a product is it? (cdev/init/game/utility/DA ... etc.)
   -- is it user friendly?
   -- is it MultiFinder friendly?
   -- does it conflict with anything?
   -- how useful is it to me?
   -- is it in color?
   -- how often do I use it?
   -- does it come with documentation?
   -- does it have on-line help?
   -- are there known bugs and incompatibility problems?
   -- what is the current version?  generally later versions have bug
      fixes, and increased features.
   -- how is it rated by other users? (mostly on the net and magazines)
   -- DO I LIKE IT?

This also means if you assign dollar values between $0.0 and $2.0 for
each of the 15 criteria above, then and SW product above $30 is over
priced.  And as a student I feel $2.0 is the most I can afford per
criteria.

3) Is there a time limit on the SW fee?  If I come accross a program
   which was last updated two or more years back, do I still have to pay
   the fee?

4) If the SW (or even commertial) program is not supported by the author
   (or company), am I still obligated to pay for it?

5) If a company goes bankrupt or out of business, is it illegal to get
   copies of their product?

I guess that sould be enough to get some replies.  I am asking these
questions for two reasons.  First of all, I do not know the answers and
would like to know them.  Secondly, I am beginning to program on the
Mac, and someday I might have something out.  I would like to know my
rights as an author, the price that I should expect for my product (if
any?), and some legal rights!!  Anyway some more people may benefit from
this too.  Thanks in advance to all.

Haseen.
email:   halam@umnd-cpe-cola.d.umn.edu
	 halam@ub.d.umn.edu

PS:  It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.

meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (03/15/90)

In article <3262@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> halam@umnd-cpe-cola.d.umn.edu (Haseen Alam) writes:
>I have a few questions.  Some shareware (SW) programs are really neat
>1) If I think a program is over priced, then what price should I pay for
>   it?  Should I pay what I think is right?  Should I stop using the
>   program?  Should I pay whatever the authors ask for? or Should I try
>   to contact the author and explain why and how much I think is
>   justified?

Let me make my major point first: Using shareware without paying is
(morally, at least) theft, and on a par with shoplifting. From that
premise follows the answers to most of the questions above, namely:
You should either pay what the seller asks for, try to negotiate a
lower price, or not buy (i.e. throw away the shareware software). It
is the SELLER's option to accept a lower price, not the buyer's. If
the seller does not, then you should quit using the program, or pay
the asked-for price.

>This also brings up aother question.
>
>2) How would you determine wheather a SW product is over priced?

Your list is interesting, and does not apply to shareware alone.
Shareware is a distribution method, and does not intrinsically imply
anything about the price/performance ratio of a product, nor establish an
upper cap on its price. The ultimate test for whether a product is
overpriced or not is - is it worth the price to YOU? If it is not,
then do not buy it (i.e. throw it away if it is shareware).

>3) Is there a time limit on the SW fee?  If I come accross a program
>   which was last updated two or more years back, do I still have to pay
>   the fee?

No cap. If it is too old to be useful, don't buy it. If it is useful,
it is so regardless of age - software does not rot nor wear out.

>4) If the SW (or even commertial) program is not supported by the author
>   (or company), am I still obligated to pay for it?

Yes. But you may decide not to buy it, because lack of support does
not make it worth the asked-for price.

I have never written shareware (nor commercial Mac software) myself,
so all of the above is written as a frequent customer of shareware. I
am happily using very good products distributed by people who put
their trust in the decency of the Macintosh user populace. I know a
lot of shareware authors quit distributing their software because
people will not pay, even for software they use daily. Please pay for
the shareware you use.

Ranting off.

Best regards,

-- Sigurd Meldal

SDA + I am not a legal professional, nor do I have the slightest clue
what the LEGAL rights of shareware authors or users are. The above is
only my opinion on how a decent person is morally obliged to behave.  --

Hard mail:
	ERL 456		     | Internet:  meldal@anna.stanford.edu
        Computer Systems Lab.|
	Stanford University  | BitNet: meldal%anna.stanford.edu@forsythe.bitnet
	Stanford CA 94305    | Uucp: ...decwrl!glacier!shasta!anna!meldal
	USA		     |

phone: +1 415 723 6027
fax:   +1 415 725 7398

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (03/15/90)

alam) writes:
> I have a few questions.  Some shareware (SW) programs are really neat
> and are worth their price.  But at times I run accross programs that in
> my own opinion are a little over priced.

I suspect everyone's going to get their two cents in on this. Here's mine.
Fair warning: what follows are ethical, not technical, opinions!  :-)

> 1) If I think a program is over priced, then what price should I pay for
>    it?
Some products specifically say "$XX, or whatever you think it's worth".
For any others, pay the asking price or do without. This rule applies to
ANY property offered for sale: the owner decides the price he'll sell at,
not the buyer.

> 2) How would you determine wheather a SW product is over priced?
If you'd rather have the money than the product, it's overpriced. At least
with shareware you can make this decision *after* trying the product.

> 3) Is there a time limit on the SW fee?
No. If you're willing to pay the fee to have the product, and your check
mailed to the author doesn't return marked "Addressee Unknown", then you
have to pay.

> 4) If the SW (or even commertial) program is not supported by the author
>    (or company), am I still obligated to pay for it?
Yes. You can elect not to use an unsupported product if the lack of
support concerns you, but if you use it then you must pay.

Can you see a common thread in my answers? The rule is very simple: If a
product's worth the asking price to you, pay the fee; if not, don't use
the product. It's a boolean question, to be answered "yes" or "no". All
the other issues you raised -- compatibility, support, age, version, bugs,
documentation, color, and the rest -- are not criteria for forcing the fee
down; they're criteria for deciding "yes" or "no".

You should treat a shareware product the same way you'd treat any other
product: commercial software, cars, food, TV sets. You can't walk into a
dealer's shop and say "Here's $45 for a Sony 27-inch color TV - I want one
and that's what I think it's worth, so give me one." (Maybe I'm wrong. If
so, can you please tell me where that shop is? :-)

> 5) If a company goes bankrupt or out of business, is it illegal to get
>    copies of their product?
Well, there you've got me. I don't know. Any lawyers out there?

There's more to this issue, such as the moral obligations of shareware
*authors*, but I'll keep this short (quit snickering out there) and to the
point (I said, QUIT SNICKERING :-) and stop here.

> Haseen.
> email:   halam@umnd-cpe-cola.d.umn.edu
>          halam@ub.d.umn.edu

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 67-B |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

vschonau@aqua.ucs.indiana.edu (03/15/90)

In article <7194@goofy.Apple.COM>, rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes...
[..stuff deleted..]
>Some products specifically say "$XX, or whatever you think it's worth".
>For any others, pay the asking price or do without. This rule applies to
>ANY property offered for sale: the owner decides the price he'll sell at,
>not the buyer.

Some authors say: anything accepted, but official registration starts
at $xx...feel free to pay more.  I like these best.
Part of the reason Shareware is out there is the outrageous price-level
of commercial software.  When people can NOT afford to get the commercial
software ---> piracy.  This is a problem for students (yes, poor students).
Solution for students: use shareware...but....if you pay in full for
all the shareware you use....you loose a fortune again.
My point:  If I would be marketing a shareware product, I would have the
following rule: any amount above (for example) $10 is enough for a
license to use the product.  Then, when one is prepared to pay let's say
$20 or $30, I can include the newest version, and maybe even a nice manual.

>> 2) How would you determine wheather a SW product is over priced?
>If you'd rather have the money than the product, it's overpriced. At least
>with shareware you can make this decision *after* trying the product.

I agree.  But I think there are too many shareware-writers out there who
expect people to pay $30 for buggy products.

[..more stuff deleted..]

>> 5) If a company goes bankrupt or out of business, is it illegal to get
>>    copies of their product?
>Well, there you've got me. I don't know. Any lawyers out there?

I would assume not.  Although it depends who is the owner of the copyright:
the company or the author......if the latter, there go your $$.

..Vincent

+ Vincent Schonau  ..   Exchange Student from Holland at I.U....what a world. +
+ Bitnet: vschonau@iubacs         Internet:    vschonau@amber.ucs.indiana.edu +
+                                         :   sl198004@silver.ucs.indiana.edu +
+            Opinions? Who needs opinions? Ask someone else!                  +

bhclg@garnet.berkeley.edu (03/15/90)

  It seems to me that a good argument could be made that a
 shareware fee is nothing more than an offer to sell.  You as
abuyer have the option of paying the price or negotiating a
 lower price.  If you don't think the shareware is worth the
 requested fee, you should write to the author and offer what you
 think it is worth.  Anyone who thinks that authors should simply
 get what they ask must not be aware of the fundamentals of business
 economics.  Very few companies get their "list" price for a product.
 A product is only worth what the market says it is worth.  If you
 want to use other factors to identify the value of a product, that
 is only relevant for your choice of what to offer the shareware's
 author.

	As for whether it is illegal to get copies of a product that
 was published by a now-defunct business: it is still probably illegal.
 Keep in mind that even if the company owned the product, someone else
 owned the company.  If the company goes out of business, the owner's
 still retain ownership of the rights to the product.  If the company
 goes into bankruptcy, the owner's or the creditors may end up owning
 the rights.  The rights to software don't simply disappear if a company
 folds.

	Since I'm not a lawyer, this could all be wrong, but it is
 how I would approach dealing with your questions.

  			Bruce McNamara
			bhclg@garnet.berkeley.edu

rand@merrimack.edu (03/15/90)

In article <3262@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU>, halam@umnd-cpe-cola.d.umn.edu (haseen alam) writes:
> 3) Is there a time limit on the SW fee?  If I come accross a program
>    which was last updated two or more years back, do I still have to pay
>    the fee?                                                  ^^^^^^^
>
> 4) If the SW (or even commertial) program is not supported by the author
>    (or company), am I still obligated to pay for it?
>[...]
> Mac, and someday I might have something out.  I would like to know my
> rights as an author, the price that I should expect for my product (if
> any?), and some legal rights!!
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

When Shareware started making the rounds I asked my legal man about the
issues surrounding it. He said, "They have no legal recourse to MAKE you
pay for it. Once you give something away you can't then force people to
pay for it. Morally? That's a different question."

Rand P. Hall                    UUCP: {uunet,wang,ulowell}!samsung!hubdub!rand
Merrimack College               CSNET: rand@merrimack.edu
N. Andover, MA        "Carrying a spare is negative thinking" -- Norris Weldon

freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) (03/16/90)

In article <52@ithink.stanford.edu> meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU
(Sigurd Meldal) writes:
>it is so regardless of age - software does not rot nor wear out.

PLEASE, tell that to my floppies...
--
Freek "the Pistol Major" Wiedijk                  Path: uunet!fwi.uva.nl!freek
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

lippin@jell-o.berkeley.edu (The Apathist) (03/16/90)

Recently meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) wrote:

>Let me make my major point first: Using shareware without paying is
>(morally, at least) theft, and on a par with shoplifting.

If this were true, then, to an ethical person, shareware would differ
from commercial software only in that it is distributed over public
networks and bulletin boards.  I would then consider the distribution
to be an unreasonable abuse of these services.

Using a piece of shareware is like going to see Shakespeare in the
park -- its creators have appropriated public resources to bring you
their product, and this appropriation is acceptable since they are
providing a public service: a free product.

However, as with Shakespeare in the park, one must realize that it is
unreasonable for many shareware authors to continue to produce
significant quantities of high-quality software without reimbursement.
Thus, one may drop a bill into the extended hat to encourage similar
activities in the future.

If there's a sign next to the hat saying "A five dollar donation is
requested," then that should be taken as a measure of how much it will
take to keep the enterprise going.  But there's nothing wrong with
dropping in any other amount, or even nothing at all.

					--Tom Lippincott
					  lippin@math.berkeley.edu

	"This is not a rental car; this is privately owned."
					--David Byrne, "True Stories"

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (03/17/90)

In article <1990Mar16.025655.23368@agate.berkeley.edu>
lippin@jell-o.berkeley.edu (The Apathist) writes:
> Using a piece of shareware is like going to see Shakespeare in the
> park -- its creators have appropriated public resources to bring you
> their product, and this appropriation is acceptable since they are
> providing a public service: a free product.

I have to disagree with both opinions. Shareware is not "given away"
simply because its distribution is informal. The way you got your copy is
irrelevant. If it is copyrighted, it is owned by the person who holds the
copyright. If it further contains a clear statement of the terms of use or
purchase, you are bound to those terms. (I know that merchandise mailed to
you without your request is yours to keep, and you aren't required to pay
for it. But BBS or user group library distribution is not "mailed to you"
individually, any more than a newspaper in a vending machine on your
corner is.)

Nor is shareware like "Shakespeare in the park". Such productions are
explicitly free, and the hat is explicitly for *donations*, not admission
fees.

Please, people, the legal fine print isn't (or shouldn't be) at issue.
Here's the important distinction: someone has worked hard to produce a
worthy product, owns the result, and offers it *for sale*, not "for free
but we accept tips". To use the product against that person's wishes or
without his or her knowledge is theft.

I expect it would be difficult to enforce the law upon shareware pirates,
and I'm sure it isn't worth the effort to try. But that doesn't excuse the
piracy.

meldal@anna.stanford.edu (Sigurd Meldal) (03/17/90)

In article <1990Mar16.025655.23368@agate.berkeley.edu>
lippin@jell-o.berkeley.edu (The Apathist) writes:
> Recently meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) wrote:
>
> >Let me make my major point first: Using shareware without paying is
> >(morally, at least) theft, and on a par with shoplifting.
>
> If this were true, then, to an ethical person, shareware would differ
> from commercial software only in that it is distributed over public
> networks and bulletin boards.  I would then consider the distribution
> to be an unreasonable abuse of these services.

Whether it is unreasonable or not is up to the organizations making the
networks available. However, all shareware I have seen is quite clear on
the point of payment: If you continue to use the product after trying it
out, the price is xx$.

Some networks charge for the distribution (e.g. the commercial bboards, or
the shareware disk sellers), others do not charge in a way traceable to a
particular distribution (e.g. the internet)

> Using a piece of shareware is like going to see Shakespeare in the
> park -- its creators have appropriated public resources to bring you
> their product, and this appropriation is acceptable since they are
> providing a public service: a free product.

The analogy with a park is misleading as stated, since it is ambiguous.
Some events done in public areas are freely open, some with donations
requested, and others are open only to a paying audience. The fact that a
performance is on public ground does not by itself indicate a particular
means of remuneration.  Or should transportation by trucks be free since
trucks use public land (the roads) and provide a public service?

-- Sigurd

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (03/19/90)

In article <7236@goofy.Apple.COM>, rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:
>Please, people, the legal fine print isn't (or shouldn't be) at issue.

	Perhaps it shouldn't be, but that was the way the original question
was phrased.

>Here's the important distinction: someone has worked hard to produce a
>worthy product, owns the result, and offers it *for sale*, not "for free
>but we accept tips". To use the product against that person's wishes or
>without his or her knowledge is theft.

	Morally, yes.  Ethically, yes.  Legally, (probably) no.

	Here's an opinion I haven't seen...

	I don't support shareware fees because I have to.  I don't do it
because God (or the Woz...:) will strike me down from the heavens if I
don't.  I don't do it for that good feeling I get because I'm "supporting
the system".  I do it for a very simple reason: registration.  This is a
very important reason, because *if* you are a registered user of a
shareware program, the author will notify you of bug fixes, corrections,
and improvements.  Suppose there's a bug in a shareware program that causes
it to format your hard disk.  If you're registered, the author will then
send you a copy of the fix.  I like that.  It helps me sleep at night.
Furthermore, it's worth the $5 or $10 or $15 or whatever the guy wants.

	As far as using the software without paying for it, I may not be
breaking any laws, but then I have to supply the bug fixes myself, either
by looking all over the different archives for it, or writing the fix
myself.  I'd rather have the author do it.  Again, this service is worth
the shareware fee.

	Just my 2 cents.

  John Price                   | Internet: price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259
             Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

lippin@ronzoni.berkeley.edu (The Apathist) (03/21/90)

Recently meldal@anna.stanford.edu (Sigurd Meldal) wrote:

>However, all shareware I have seen is quite clear on the point of
>payment: If you continue to use the product after trying it out, the
>price is xx$.

If you read this message, go jump in a lake.

The drier among you have realized that one is not obliged to obey
every command on finds on usenet.  My slaving over a hot workstation
(for minutes on end!) to create and send this posting doesn't allow me
to lay conditions on those that I send it to.

[For those who came in late: I'm not arguing that one should not pay
shareware fees.  I'm simply unwilling to consider failure to pay a
form of thievery.  Please pay shareware authors.  And the better
street musicians.  And definitely subscribe to public television.]

[Also, I'm arguing the ethical point, not the legal one.  My opinion
on the legal point is that one is not required to pay for shareware
under US law.  However, this opinion is of little value, as I'm not
trained in legal matters.]

In any case, I think my major point is made: the ethics of shareware
are non-trivial.  (It is largely due to such considerations that I've
only written free and commercial software.)  I suggest that we agree
to disagree.

						--Tom Lippincott
						  lippin@math.berkeley.edu

	"Hume's watershed reversal is systematically delineated
		and enunciated by the marxist philosophy."

kassover@pisces.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) (03/22/90)

In article <629@cica.cica.indiana.edu> vschonau@aqua.ucs.indiana.edu writes:
>>> 5) If a company goes bankrupt or out of business, is it illegal to get
>>>    copies of their product?
>>Well, there you've got me. I don't know. Any lawyers out there?
>
>I would assume not.  Although it depends who is the owner of the copyright:
>the company or the author......if the latter, there go your $$.

A copyright does not expire upon the expiration of the owner.  If
the copyright was owned by a company, then it is included in the
assets of the company when the company is liquidated.  *Somebody*
or some other company now owns the copyright.  Ownership of a
copyright does not imply an obligation to publish, or republish.
It also does not imply an obligation to enforce it.  Caveat
emptor.

Now, some authors enter into a software escrow arrangement,
whereby if certain conditions obtain, the escrowed software
(usually some form of machine readable source code) becomes the
property of the license purchaser.  Generally speaking, such
property rights *DO NOT* include the right to redistribute the
software and derivative works.  The purpose of these agreements
is to allow the licensee some peace of mind with respect to
support.

By the way, they're expensive to set up (especially the first
one, when you have no boilerplate), and generally cost the
licensee a bundle "for the insult".  Needless to say, I doubt any
shareware author or licensee would be interested.

In article <531@fwi.uva.nl> freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) writes:
>In article <52@ithink.stanford.edu> meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU
>(Sigurd Meldal) writes:
>>it is so regardless of age - software does not rot nor wear out.
>
>PLEASE, tell that to my floppies...
It`s your floppies that are loosing their oxide, not the
software.  Or perhaps you have the same problem that I do?  I
purchased some software long ago (in the days of Thin, Thick, and
Fat Macs) which will not run on the machines I have now, except
for the Plus which we keep around for sentimental reasons...

8-)