[comp.sys.mac] Requesting information on Macintosh emulation packages

adiro@TAURUS.BITNET (03/21/90)

 Hello,

  I am considering buying the Atari Stacy with a Macintosh emulation
package, as a replacement of the highly-priced Mac-laptop.
  Since I am new to the Atari world I would appreciate any answer to any
of the following questions:

 1. What is the best Macintosh emulation package available?
 2. How well does it emulate the Mac? Can one run ANY program that runs
    on a real Mac ?  I am especially interested in the different software
    packages to define fonts, and then using the fonts in different
    word-processors available for the Mac.
 3. Is it really compatible in the sense that one can have a diskette
    and work with the same software & data one day on a Mac and the other
    on an Atari ST ?
 4. How much memory does the emulation package consume ?
 5. Does anyone have already some experience with the Stacy and such an
    emulation package? How does the performance of a Mac software run
    on the Stacy compare with, say, a Mac Plus or a Mac SE ?

Please send any answers to me at adiro@taurus.bitnet or adiro@math.tau.ac.il .
I will summarize and post if there is interest.

  Thanks in advance

   Adi Rosen

rcd@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (rana.c.dutt) (03/22/90)

In article <1252@taurus.BITNET>, adiro@TAURUS.BITNET writes:
>   I am considering buying the Atari Stacy with a Macintosh emulation
> package, as a replacement of the highly-priced Mac-laptop.
>   Since I am new to the Atari world I would appreciate any answer to any
> of the following questions:
>
>  1. What is the best Macintosh emulation package available?

In many people's opinion, Spectre GCR from Gadgets by Small (303) 791-6098.

>  2. How well does it emulate the Mac? Can one run ANY program that runs
>     on a real Mac ?  I am especially interested in the different software
>     packages to define fonts, and then using the fonts in different
>     word-processors available for the Mac.

Not ANY program, but its compatibility is impressive enough for most people.
For example, I used Fontastic Plus to create and edit a font, which I then
used from within MacWrite 4.6 and MS Word 4.0. Other programs that run on it
include MacPaint, Superpaint, MacDraw II, Pagemaker 3.0, Excel, and Hypercard.

>  3. Is it really compatible in the sense that one can have a diskette
>     and work with the same software & data one day on a Mac and the other
>     on an Atari ST ?

In my experience, on a 1040 ST, yes. I have formatted MAC GCR disks from
within the emulation (under the "Initialize Disk" dialog), and taken them
to a real MAC SE/30 at work, and they read and write fine there.

>  4. How much memory does the emulation package consume ?
On a 1 Meg 1040 ST, you are left with 832K that the Mac mode can use. This
can be used to run Hypercard, provided you don't have other memory-hungry
Inits or DA's running. If you upgrade to 2.5 Meg, you are left with
2240K or 1920K of Mac memory, depending on whether you turn on the RAM cache
or not. This is good enough to run most memory-intensive programs in
combination with fancy Inits and DA's.

Rana Dutt
rcd@mtqua.att.com