[comp.sys.mac] 605i-network-products-installer.hqx

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (03/22/90)

I downloaded this file twice from the Apple ftp site, and on both tries
the file would not go through BinHex (CRC error).  The other 6.0.5 images
decoded without error.

Is the 605i-network-products-installer.hqx file garbled, or have other
folks managed to convert it?
--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (03/22/90)

In article <9951@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>I downloaded this file twice from the Apple ftp site, and on both tries
>the file would not go through BinHex (CRC error).  The other 6.0.5 images
>decoded without error.

>Is the 605i-network-products-installer.hqx file garbled?

There is a bug in BinHex 4.0.  If the file name exceeds a certain
length (twenty-odd characters, as I recall), BinHex will give this
error.

To decode the file successfully, use StuffIt's Decode BinHex option.
It hasn't got this bug.

--
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142

anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) (03/22/90)

The only problem I had was that the name is too long (more than 32
characters), but other than that, it was fine.

anders

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (03/22/90)

In article <9951@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>I downloaded this file twice from the Apple ftp site, and on both tries
>the file would not go through BinHex (CRC error).  The other 6.0.5 images
>decoded without error.
>Is the 605i-network-products-installer.hqx file garbled, or have other
>folks managed to convert it?
>Julian Vrieslander

I have got all the images to work without problems, though I did run into
a problem somewhere along the line with the long file name for the
network products image. Perhaps shortening the name of that hqx file
will solve the problem. I ran them thru Stuffit without any problems,
did not use Binhex to decode them.

---

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) (03/22/90)

In article 54731, ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) said, in part...

>There is a bug in BinHex 4.0.  If the file name exceeds a certain
>length (twenty-odd characters, as I recall), BinHex will give this
>error.
>
>To decode the file successfully, use StuffIt's Decode BinHex option.
>It hasn't got this bug.
>
>--
>Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com

Better yet, FTP mcvert 1.5 from somewhere and de-binhex the files on your
unix host to save downloading time.

(McVert is available on sumex, in the unix directory...)

Lars
kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu

tempest@walleye.uucp (Ken) (03/22/90)

In article <9951@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>I downloaded this file twice from the Apple ftp site, and on both tries
>Is the 605i-network-products-installer.hqx file garbled, or have other
>folks managed to convert it?

No, it is not corrupted.  I downloaded onto my Mac and converted
without a hitch.  I suggest you try again.

Ken
	Kenneth K.F. Lui	|	Other paths you can use:
	tempest@csuchico.edu	|   tempest@csuchico.edu, tempest@csuchico
________________________________|____________________________________________

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (03/22/90)

In article <9951@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>I downloaded this file twice from the Apple ftp site, and on both tries
>the file would not go through BinHex (CRC error).  The other 6.0.5 images
>decoded without error.
>
>Is the 605i-network-products-installer.hqx file garbled, or have other
>folks managed to convert it?

No, the image (nor BinHex file) are corrupted.  I did have a problem converting
it with the BinHex programs, however.  Try using StuffIt.  It does the job
more slowly, but does it better (apparently).

Bill Taroli
WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *

ralph@mtune.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (03/23/90)

In article <1436@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>                        Perhaps shortening the name of that hqx file
>will solve the problem.

While we're talking about shortening names, would it be possible to
make sure that each file name is unique somewhere in the first 14
characters for those of us who use System V?  Otherwise, files get
overwritten.  Minor inconvenience, but nonetheless real....

--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtune.att.com     att!mtune!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (03/23/90)

In comp.sys.mac, article <5959@ur-cc.UUCP>,
  kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu.UUCP (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) writes:
<
< Better yet, FTP mcvert 1.5 from somewhere and de-binhex the files on your
< unix host to save downloading time.
<
On my system (Ultrix 3.0, no mods to macvert), it fails to correctly translate
some files. This results in Stuffit generating CRC errors when unstuffing them.

Particularly, _all_ disk images got corrupted. I had to download the .hqx
files and use Stuffit to take them apart.

Someday, I'll search fir the error...
--
Matthias Urlichs