[comp.sys.mac] Where can I get BinHex 4.0?

anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) (03/12/90)

I know this has been asked a million times, but could someone
tell me how I can get a copy of BinHex 4.0?

Thanx very much.

*   Jason W. Anthony         *      Bitnet | anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu  *
*   Computer Engineering     *      Clarkson University                   *

rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) (03/12/90)

In article <1990Mar11.193309.7511@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
>I know this has been asked a million times, but could someone
>tell me how I can get a copy of BinHex 4.0?

You're right, it has.  But everyone needs to know so ...

You don't really want BinHex 4.0.  What you really want is a program
called StuffIt (latest version is 1.5.1).  StuffIt does compression,
decompression, unpacks .pit files, and converts the BinHex'ed stuff
for you.  Since most non-commercial software has been compressed using
StuffIt, it is an invaluable utility.

StuffIt is available from most BBS's, several ftp sites on the network,
and commercial services such as CompuServe and Genie.  Another source
is your local user's group.

>Thanx very much.

Your welcome.

Ray Fischer
rcfische@polyslo.calpoly.edu

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (03/13/90)

[rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) writes:]
[] You're right, it has.  But everyone needs to know so ...
[] You don't really want BinHex 4.0.  What you really want is a program
[] called StuffIt (latest version is 1.5.1).  StuffIt does compression,

you're right, also. but just in case jason does want binhex 4.0 (or
perhaps needs it unpack the other stuff) you can get it in macbinary
format (i.e. a binary transfer to your host machine and a macbinary
transfer to your mac) via anonymous ftp to "sumex-aim.stanford.edu" .
cd "info-mac/util" and get "binhex4.bin".

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

rvd@bunker.UUCP (Robert Del Favero Jr.) (03/13/90)

In article <25fb4919.35d5@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) writes:

>You don't really want BinHex 4.0.  What you really want is a program
>called StuffIt (latest version is 1.5.1).

StuffIt is very useful and has lots of features, but it has one problem
as far as I'm concerned, and that's that it's shareware.
I never seem to get around to paying for shareware, and I sometimes
feel guilty for not paying, so I use freeware if I can.  If (for
whatever reason) you're not going to pay the shareware fee, then the
combination of BinHex 4.0 and UnStuffIt allows you to unpack BinHexed
and StuffIt-ed files without incurring any shareware obligations.  You
only need StuffIt if you want to create .sit archives. (StuffIt is
certainly quicker and easier than Binhex/UnstuffIt, but if you're
not going to pay for it, you really shouldn't use it.)

You should be able to find UnStuffIt in the same places that Mr.
Fischer suggests you find StuffIt.  If anyone needs BinHex or UnStuffIt
and can't get them from an online service or user group, they can
contact me and I'll try to arrange something with them.

larson@unix.SRI.COM (Alan Larson) (03/23/90)

In article <25fb4919.35d5@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) writes:
-
-In article <1990Mar11.193309.7511@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
--I know this has been asked a million times, but could someone
--tell me how I can get a copy of BinHex 4.0?
-
-You're right, it has.  But everyone needs to know so ...
-
-You don't really want BinHex 4.0.  What you really want is a program
-called StuffIt (latest version is 1.5.1).  StuffIt does compression,
-decompression, unpacks .pit files, and converts the BinHex'ed stuff
-for you.  Since most non-commercial software has been compressed using
-StuffIt, it is an invaluable utility.

One detail that still may matter is that if the file was not compressed
with stuffit, simply decoding the binhex with stuffit doesn't seem to
set the icon (and possibly other characteristics) correctly for the file.

As a result, it is still a good idea to keep a copy of binhex4 around.

-StuffIt is available from most BBS's, several ftp sites on the network,
-and commercial services such as CompuServe and Genie.  Another source
-is your local user's group.

Binhex should be availiable from most of these same groups.

	Alan