[comp.sys.mac] Mac Credits

stay@ohs.UUCP (Steve Taylor) (03/13/90)

Does anyone have a list of the names on the inside of the Mac Plus case?
(The only one I can read is Steve Jobs...)  What exactly was that group
of people?

Are there credits anywhere for the original authors of the Toolbox?
Who designed it?  Who coded it?  Did they stay up 48 hours at a time and
eat chinese food?  (The essentials.)

Thanks.
Steve Taylor

stearns@Apple.COM (Bryan Stearns) (03/15/90)

From article <519@ohs.UUCP>, by stay@ohs.UUCP (Steve Taylor):
> Does anyone have a list of the names on the inside of the Mac Plus case?

Lessee...  Here are the ones I can recognize (sorry if I miss
anyone!).  In no particular order:

Steve Balog, Lynn Takahashi, Benjamin Pang, Debbie Coleman, Peggy
Aleixo, Brian Howard, Gerald Manock, Daniel Kottke, Terry Oyama,
Brian Robertson, Bill Fernandez, Donn Denman, Patti King, Steven
Jobs, Patricia Sharp, Pamela Wyman, Berry Cash, Ivan Mach, Dave
Roots, Ron Nicholson Jr, Larry Kenyou, Bill Atkinson, Bill Bull,
Vicki Milledge, Bruce Horn, Rod Holt, George Crow, Andy Hertzfeld,
Mary Ellen McCammon, Mike Boich, Mike Murray, Burrell Smith, Jef
Raskin, Angeline Lo, Joanna Hoffman, Hap Horn, Linda Wilkin,
Christopher Espinosa, Laszlo Zidek, Colette Askeland, Martin
Haeberli, Matt Carter, Bob Belleville, Randy Wigginton, Woz, and
me. Plus two that I can't read.

> What exactly was that group of people?

These are the members of the Macintosh Division as of early 1982.

> Are there credits anywhere for the original authors of the Toolbox?
> Who designed it?  Who coded it?  Did they stay up 48 hours at a time and
> eat chinese food?  (The essentials.)

The original Mac ROM and system disk was done primarily by Andy
Hertzfeld, Bruce Horn, Larry Kenyon, and Steve Capps. Significant
chunks were done by Bill Atkinson (QuickDraw, which he rewrote in
68000 assembly language from his Lisa (Pascal) version), Martin
Haeberli (memory mgr), and Susan "SusiON" Kare (fonts, icons).
Other pieces were done by Donn Denman, Roni Seebok, myself, and
others who will kill me for not remembering their names.

Sushi was a big part of the diet (SusiON used to collect the little
green plastic garnishes that they serve sushi with, and at one
point had covered a 4x5' wall panel with 'em). Other food groups:
Togo's sandwiches, Chili's hamburgers, Cicero's pizza.

We had sweatshirts that say "90 Hours A Week And Loving It" (the
Apple II folks retorted with one that said "50 Hours A Week: Insanely
Adequate" :-).

Bryan Stearns                                      Apple Computer, Inc.
Macintosh Finder Group                  20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 81-BB
stearns@apple.com                                   Cupertino, CA 95014

CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) (03/15/90)

Now for the obvious question:  who are the people whose pictures are encoded
in the ROM (at least on an SE...)?

For those of you who don't know about this, entering a particular command
into the debugger (which I can't remember offhand) will put the machine
into an infinite loop during which it cycles through three full-screen
apparently digitized group photos.  Who are these people?

-------
Christopher Tate                   |
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu               |  You can lead a horse to water,
 ..!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105    |    but a vest has no sleeves.
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet                |

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (03/16/90)

In article <90073.222450CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu> cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Now for the obvious question:  who are the people whose pictures are encoded
>in the ROM (at least on an SE...)?
>
>For those of you who don't know about this, entering a particular command
>into the debugger (which I can't remember offhand) will put the machine
>into an infinite loop during which it cycles through three full-screen
>apparently digitized group photos.  Who are these people?
>
>-------
>Christopher Tate                   |
>cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu               |  You can lead a horse to water,
> ..!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105    |    but a vest has no sleeves.
>cxt105@psuvm.bitnet                |

"Those people" are the hardware and software development teams...
                                    --clark

Clark Anderson                  InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
CPU Engineering                 AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc             BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

minich@a.cs.okstate.edu (MINICH ROBERT JOHN) (03/17/90)

+   Now for the obvious question:  who are the people whose pictures are encoded
+ in the ROM (at least on an SE...)?
+   For those of you who don't know about this, entering a particular command
+ into the debugger (which I can't remember offhand) will put the machine
+ into an infinite loop during which it cycles through three full-screen
+ apparently digitized group photos.  Who are these people?

> "Those people" are the hardware and software development teams...
>                                     --clark

  Hey, that's great and neat and all, but would someone please POST the
instructions on how to get this thing going? I think there are a lot of other
people who would like to know, as well.

Robert Minich
Oklahoma State University
minich@a.cs.okstate.edu

nicholso@hpcuha.HP.COM (Ron Nicholson) (03/17/90)

stearns@Apple.COM (Bryan Stearns) writes:

>From article <519@ohs.UUCP>, by stay@ohs.UUCP (Steve Taylor):
>> Does anyone have a list of the names on the inside of the Mac Plus case?

>Steve Balog, Lynn Takahashi, Benjamin Pang, Debbie Coleman, Peggy
>Aleixo, Brian Howard, Gerald Manock, Daniel Kottke, Terry Oyama,
>Brian Robertson, Bill Fernandez, Donn Denman, Patti King, Steven
>Jobs, Patricia Sharp, Pamela Wyman, Berry Cash, Ivan Mach, Dave
>Roots, Ron Nicholson Jr, Larry Kenyou, Bill Atkinson, Bill Bull,
>Vicki Milledge, Bruce Horn, Rod Holt, George Crow, Andy Hertzfeld,
>Mary Ellen McCammon, Mike Boich, Mike Murray, Burrell Smith, Jef
>Raskin, Angeline Lo, Joanna Hoffman, Hap Horn, Linda Wilkin,
>Christopher Espinosa, Laszlo Zidek, Colette Askeland, Martin
>Haeberli, Matt Carter, Bob Belleville, Randy Wigginton, Woz, and
>me. Plus two that I can't read.

My guess is that the two names you couldn't decode are:
Guy L (Bud) Tribble III and Ed (EDRID) Riddle .

The interesting thing is that some of the names lasted into the first
years production of the SE.  I thought that Apple would redo the tooling
on the case more often.

---
Ronald H. Nicholson, Jr.		Hewlett Packard
uucp: nicholso@hpda.HP.COM 		Cupertino, CA
(408) 447-6603				#include <canonical disclaimer>

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (03/23/90)

In article <90073.222450CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu> cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Now for the obvious question:  who are the people whose pictures are encoded
>in the ROM (at least on an SE...)?
>
>For those of you who don't know about this, entering a particular command
>into the debugger (which I can't remember offhand) will put the machine
>into an infinite loop during which it cycles through three full-screen
>apparently digitized group photos.  Who are these people?

First screen:
	Cary Clark	Tom Jennings	Bill Bruffey	Steve Flowers
			Myself		Tony Leung
		Alan Oppenheimer	Frank Leahy	Margie Kaptanaglu

Second Screen:
	Jim Dumont	?	Michael Tchao	?	?	Jay Patel
			?		?		Charlie Oppenheimer

Third Screen:
	?	Charlie Eckhaus	   ?	?    ?	George Norman	Dave Fung
		Rich Castro		?	?

Fourth Screen:
	?	Brian McGhie		?	?	?
				?	?	?

Everyone identified was a member of the Macintosh SE and II software team
except for Michael Tchao and Charlie Oppenheimer, who were product managers,
and Jim Dumont who I think was doing hardware at the time.

						_emt