[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0 to WordPerfect for DOS???????

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/10/90)

Greetings,

  A fried of mine started writing his thesis on a Macintosh in Microsoft Word,
but he wants to finish it on his own machine (IBM-clone), now that it's
working again.  He's using WordPerfect (I don't know the version, but it's
apparently the newest one).  We tried saving the file using Word's Save As
Word/DOS option, transfering the file to the IBM with a binary transfer (since
the Word manual claims it's in the exact binary format for the IBM), and then
running WordPerfect's convert utility on it.  The problem is, that the convert
utility doesn't think it's a Word file.

  We don't have access to a Dayna 5-1/4" floppy drive, nor does his IBM have a
3-1/2" drive so that we could use my FDHD, so modem is the only way.

  Does anybody have any experiences doing this?  What works?

Thanks,
--Mike

JAH4@psuvm.psu.edu (03/12/90)

In article <1815@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J
Kobb) says:

>  A fried of mine started writing his thesis on a Macintosh in Microsoft Word,
>but he wants to finish it on his own machine (IBM-clone), now that it's
>working again.  He's using WordPerfect (I don't know the version, but it's
>apparently the newest one).  We tried saving the file using Word's Save As
>Word/DOS option, transfering the file to the IBM with a binary transfer (since
>the Word manual claims it's in the exact binary format for the IBM), and then
>running WordPerfect's convert utility on it.  The problem is, that the convert
>utility doesn't think it's a Word file.

  Try saving it as a Word 3.0 file using the SAVE AS command and use
the FILE FORMATS box (in Long Menus). You didn't say which version
of MS Word for the IBM you have, but I would suspect that 4.0 would
be your best bet if he is using WordPerfect 5.0.  MS Word 5.0 might
not be supported by WordPerfects Conversion routine.
  I have always used a FDHD Mac Drive to convert, so NO, I cannot
say for sure that it will work, but I do know that MS Word 4.0 has
had problems when I took it across the different platforms.  Perhaps
it is not supported yet.
  If all else fails, I should think that another SAVE AS to RTF format
with Word 4.0 for the Macintosh...take it across and then use WP's
Conversion routine DIRECTLY for the RTF file.  I can't see why this
wouldn't work, although I sometimes get problems with footnotes.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::                           ::        Jeffrey Hamman  JAH4@PSUVM  ::
::  "NO, not Penn..."        ::        Student Support Initiative  ::
::                           ::        Penn State University       ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

hlee@cs.umn.edu (Huan-Chih Lee) (03/14/90)

In article <1815@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>Greetings,
>
>  A fried of mine started writing his thesis on a Macintosh in Microsoft Word,
>but he wants to finish it on his own machine (IBM-clone), now that it's
>working again.  He's using WordPerfect (I don't know the version, but it's
>apparently the newest one).  We tried saving the file using Word's Save As
>Word/DOS option, transfering the file to the IBM with a binary transfer (since
>the Word manual claims it's in the exact binary format for the IBM), and then
>running WordPerfect's convert utility on it.  The problem is, that the convert
>utility doesn't think it's a Word file.
>
>  We don't have access to a Dayna 5-1/4" floppy drive, nor does his IBM have a
>3-1/2" drive so that we could use my FDHD, so modem is the only way.
>
>  Does anybody have any experiences doing this?  What works?
>
>Thanks,
>--Mike

One way you might try is that save as Rich Interchange Format on Mac.
Then transfer this ascii file onto IBM without any other conversion.

Once you done that, you can open the file in WordPerfect on IBM.

P.S. Remember to save as text file only if you would like to transfer it
     back to Mac.

Comment: I can not see any good when I do word processing on IBM.

Darda

user_442@dayton.saic.com (J.C. Kelly) (03/23/90)

In article <1815@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) writes:
> Greetings,
>
>   A fried of mine started writing his thesis on a Macintosh in Microsoft Word,
> but he wants to finish it on his own machine (IBM-clone), now that it's
> working again.  He's using WordPerfect (I don't know the version, but it's
> apparently the newest one).  We tried saving the file using Word's Save As
> Word/DOS option, transfering the file to the IBM with a binary transfer (since
> the Word manual claims it's in the exact binary format for the IBM), and then
> running WordPerfect's convert utility on it.  The problem is, that the convert
> utility doesn't think it's a Word file.
>
>   We don't have access to a Dayna 5-1/4" floppy drive, nor does his IBM have a
> 3-1/2" drive so that we could use my FDHD, so modem is the only way.
>
>   Does anybody have any experiences doing this?  What works?
>
> Thanks,
> --Mike
I've successfully transferred Word 4.0 files on a Mac SE to Wordperfect 5.0 on
an AT clone using the following procedure:
1. format a 3.5" floppy for 720K on the AT.
2. On the MAC, use the Apple File Transfer utility that comes on the MAC
utility disk. Select your Word 4.0 output file as the input to the utility.
3. Select translate, then put your AT-formatted 3.5" into the output MAC drive.
4. Move to the AT, fire up Wordperfect, load the translated file.
5. Enjoy

Note: This procedure does not preserve all Word 4.0 formatting commands, and
it insists on placing hard returns into the document. You'll have to use
"reveal codes" to find and delete the hard returns, but at least you get all
the text.

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/24/90)

In article <1027.2609ddc1@dayton.saic.com> user_442@dayton.saic.com (J.C. Kelly) writes:

>I've successfully transferred Word 4.0 files on a Mac SE to Wordperfect 5.0 on
>an AT clone using the following procedure:
>1. format a 3.5" floppy for 720K on the AT.
>2. On the MAC, use the Apple File Transfer utility that comes on the MAC
>utility disk. Select your Word 4.0 output file as the input to the utility.
>3. Select translate, then put your AT-formatted 3.5" into the output MAC drive.
>4. Move to the AT, fire up Wordperfect, load the translated file.
>5. Enjoy

Thanks very much for the suggestion, but note that in my original message I
said:

>>   We don't have access to a Dayna 5-1/4" floppy drive, nor does his IBM
have\
>> 3-1/2" drive so that we could use my FDHD, so modem is the only way.

Besides, what are people without FDHD's supposed to do?  There must be a way
to do this over modem!

Anyway, thanks very much for your suggestions.  It turns out that we can, if
we're really desperate, use a PS/2 in a lab on campus that has both 5-1/4 and
3-1/2 drives.  Or, we could wait until he gets his '386, which will probably
have the 3-1/2 format drives anyway...

--Mike