[comp.sys.mac] Where can I get System 6.0.5?

bradley@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Eugene Bradley) (03/23/90)

I saw a post some time ago on the fact that Apple has released 6.0.5 and you
can get it via FTP from apple.com.  Can someone tell me in *exactly* what
directory it's in, and under what .hqx file (s)?

Thanks.

| Eugene Bradley     | Internet: bradley@andromeda.rutgers.edu                |
| P. O. Box 774      |---------------------------------------------------------
| Orange, NJ  07051  | Steely Dan fans of the world, UNITE!!!!!!!             |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|          "Chain Lightning--It feels SOOOOO Good!!!!!"--Steely Dan           |

lander@bulean.enet.dec.com (Vadim Lander) (03/23/90)

In article <Mar.22.15.06.14.1990.26948@galaxy.rutgers.edu>, bradley@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Eugene Bradley) writes...
>I saw a post some time ago on the fact that Apple has released 6.0.5 and you
>can get it via FTP from apple.com.  Can someone tell me in *exactly* what
>directory it's in, and under what .hqx file (s)?

What is FTP and where is apple.com and how can one get there?

Thank you

escher@Apple.COM (Michael Crawford) (03/24/90)

In article <9511@shlump.nac.dec.com> lander@bulean.enet.dec.com (Vadim Lander) writes:

>>I saw a post some time ago on the fact that Apple has released 6.0.5 and you
>>can get it via FTP from apple.com.  Can someone tell me in *exactly* what
>
>What is FTP and where is apple.com and how can one get there?

Here is the header of a list, that you can obtain via anonymous ftp
from pilot.njin.net.  From a unix machine, give the command:

ftp pilot.njin.net

if you get some kind of "unknown host" error, give the ip address instead:

ftp 128.6.7.38

if you still get no reponse, give the command

/etc/ping 128.6.7.38 (/usr/etc/ping, on some systems).

If ping does not report packets being echoed, the link to the site is down.

The list:

This is my list of Internet sites accepting anonymous ftp:
                    user name: anonymous
                    password: <your mail address> (i.e. "odin@pilot.njin.net")

      If you are sending this on to someone or in any other way providing this
 for  someone  else,  please  leave  this header intact.  Otherwise I get many
 questions which this would have answered.  Thanks.

      This list is posted to comp.misc, and comp.sources.wanted, on Usenet and
 is  distributed via anonymous FTP from pilot.njin.net (128.6.7.38) as well as
 being available from several other FTP sites (see list).  I  don't  have  the
 time to read all these newsgroups so if there is anything you want me to see,
 please use email.  There is also a mailing list which was being used to  dis-
 tribute  the  list,  now I use it more for getting feedback on new ideas.  If
 you wish to be added to the mailing list mail me at pilot.

      Special thanks goes to Ed Vielmetti for all the work he does posting new
 archive information to comp.archives.

      If there are any corrections/updates/etc. to be made please mail  me  at
 odin@pilot.njin.net.   That  also  goes  for descriptions of the archives.  I
 don't have time to personally check each and every site so if you use a  site
 regularly  and can put together a better description, please tell me so I can
 update this list.  This is especially true for sites described  as  "unknown"
 or  with  vague descriptions.  Those sites are ones that I either didn't have
 enough time to sort through it or I couldn't tell what was available.

      Thanks,
         Jon Granrose
         March 13, 1990
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 REMINDER: Anonymous FTP is a privilege, not a right.  The site administrators
 for the sites listed below have made their systems available out of the good-
 ness  of  their hearts.  Please respect their wishes and restrict your FTPing
 to non-prime hours (1900 - 0600 hours local time  for  the  site).   This  is
 especially true for sites not in your country.  Please keep that in mind when
 you are FTPing.  None of us want to see sites start to close down  because  a
 few are being inconsiderate.

|Jon Granrose        |ARPA: odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU   jonathan@sco.com |  // Only |
|Cowell College, UCSC|odin@pilot.njin.net 74036.3241@compuserve.com|\X/ Amiga!|
|Santa Cruz, CA 95064|UUCP:..!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!odin Bitnet:odin@ucscb.bitnet|
|       Please send any Anonymous FTP information to odin@pilot.njin.net      |
Michael D. Crawford
Oddball Enterprises
606 Modesto Avenue	(Note address change; used to be 694 Nobel).
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
oddball!mike@ucscc.ucsc.edu

Consulting for Apple Computer Inc.
escher@apple.com

The opinions expressed here are solely my own.