[comp.sys.mac] Rust on Kensington Trackball rollers?

fri0@tank.uchicago.edu (Christian E. Fritze) (03/22/90)

The rollers on my Kensington ADB Turbo Mouse trackball are pitted and have what
looks to be RUST on them! Is this possible?  I've been careful to clean them
only with pure alcohol.  The grit (rust?) build-up is a real problem, as the
ball gets coated with bits of the stuff within 24 hrs of the latest cleaning.
Any suggestions?  How long was the warranty on this thing?

fri0@tank.uchicago.edu

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (03/24/90)

In article <8045@tank.uchicago.edu> fri0@tank.uchicago.edu (Christian
E. Fritze) writes:
 > The rollers on my Kensington ADB Turbo Mouse trackball are pitted
 > and have what looks to be RUST on them! Is this possible?
I'm not surprised.  We have 3 of these things and over the course of a
year I have grown to hate them.  They stick, the ball falls out, the
cursor jiggles on the screen by magic, etc...
Bottom line: P.U. Don't waste your money.
| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

mblakele@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tad Blakeley) (03/24/90)

In article <SAAF.90Mar23140238@joker.optics.rochester.edu> saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) writes:
>In article <8045@tank.uchicago.edu> fri0@tank.uchicago.edu (Christian
>E. Fritze) writes:
> > The rollers on my Kensington ADB Turbo Mouse trackball are pitted
> > and have what looks to be RUST on them! Is this possible?
>I'm not surprised.  We have 3 of these things and over the course of a
>year I have grown to hate them.  They stick, the ball falls out, the
>cursor jiggles on the screen by magic, etc...
>Bottom line: P.U. Don't waste your money.
>--
>| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
>| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

	I'm afraid I have to disagree.  The rollers do get gummed up, with
what I believe is more dirt than rust, especially as it's worse in hot
weather.  However, it only takes a screwdriver and some time to take the
thing apart and clean it.  I wouldn't part with my Kensington.
	Besides, between it and my Dvorak KCHR, almost no one wants to borrow
my mac :-)
					-- tad

.
.

--
~   ...[physicists] who aren't actually dead are in some way very ill.       S
W						-- D. Adams	    	     T

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (03/24/90)

From: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf)
 > and have what looks to be RUST on them! Is this possible?
>I'm not surprised.  We have 3 of these things and over the course of a
>year I have grown to hate them.  They stick, the ball falls out, the
>cursor jiggles on the screen by magic, etc...
>Bottom line: P.U. Don't waste your money.

I'm surprised. I've had 2 of the Kensington trackballs for 2 years
now, and they've worked great.
How in the world does the ball fall out of a trackball?
Just curious...
                                     --clark

Clark Anderson                  InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
CPU Engineering                 AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc             BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (03/25/90)

E. Fritze) writes:

> The rollers on my Kensington ADB Turbo Mouse trackball are pitted
> and have what looks to be RUST on them! Is this possible?

I don't think it's rust.  Mine has had what looks like it since new, and I
haven't had any problems.  I suspect it may in fact be a "traction" material.

The only problem my trackball has given me is occasional bounce in the click
switch.

 /'')  /'~  /   | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Wish I didn't know now
/''\  /,,  /,,  | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long |  what I didn't know
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com |  then. -- Bob Seger