[comp.sys.mac] MacPlus SIMM upgarde => crashe

Michael.Burton@p3.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Burton) (03/25/90)

   G.H.H. Smith writes:
> I have upgraded my Mac Plus to 2.5 meg, by adding 2 1 meg 100ns
> SIMMS.
> I am running sys 6.01 with a 45 mg Rodime drive.
> The computer starts OK from a cold start but often crashes with
> system error 02 or just hangs.
> Is this a hardware or software (system) problem??

   Error 02 is a software error.  Although bad memory could cause
programs to crash with this error, it's more likely that bad RAM
would cause a variety of other problems.
   My suspect is your system software.  Early versions of System 6
were riddled with bugs.  System 6.02 seems to be the earliest
stable version of System 6.  The most current version is 6.05,
which was released with the new Mac IIfx.
   Other possible suspects include INITs--some aren't very well
written, and may be making invalid assumptions about the amount of
memory in your machine.
   Good luck.

--
Michael Burton via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.3!Michael.Burton