[comp.sys.mac] Screen dump...

markf@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark Foster) (03/17/90)

I have the small task of writing a noddy user primer for the use of the Macs
that we have here at sussex, and I would like to include various illustrations
of screen shots.

Now, I know that command/shift/3 gives you a dump of the screen in MacPaint
format but how do I get a dump of the screen "With a menu dropped".  I can't
seem to get the result that I want.  The command key doesn't actually produce
anything until after I have released the mouse button.

Is there there a way oh wise ones.???

p.s. I am having trouble looking at the machine from a Total novice point of
view and would welcome a few suggestions as to some important but often unknown
items that should be included.

Thanx in advance.... please E-mail direct as I don't often have the time to
read this group properly.

--
---Don't take life so seriously.----------///---..You won't get out alive.---
Mark Foster, Computing Service  |  C=    ///   | markf @ syma.sussex.ac.uk

lefty@twg.com (David N. Schlesinger) (03/21/90)

In article <2367@syma.sussex.ac.uk> markf@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark Foster)
writes:
> Now, I know that command/shift/3 gives you a dump of the screen in
> MacPaint format but how do I get a dump of the screen "With a menu dropped".

Way back when, there was a DA called "Camera" which would do this.  It no
longer works under the current System.  The "solution" I'm using is to use
ResEdit with the ResMenu editor (which can be ftp'd from apple.com, I
believe) installed.  The editor shows the menu as it would appear "pulled
down".  I take the screen shot and edit out everything that isn't the
menu...

Not an ideal solution, but it works and the price is right...

Hope this helps...

Lefty

|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|
|           David N. Schlesinger   ||   "When I have nothing to say,       |
|           The Wollongong Group   ||    my lips are sealed;               |
| Internet: Lefty@twg.com          ||    say something once,               |
| POTS:     415/962-7219           ||    why say it again?" -- David Byrne |
|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (03/22/90)

And lefty@twg.com (David N. Schlesinger) replies:
>Way back when, there was a DA called "Camera" which would do this.  It no
>longer works under the current System.

But it can be patched to work under System 6.  Here are the details.
I've done it, and it works wonderfully.

----------

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 90 20:16:37 MST
From: Jonathan Pratt <pratt@boulder.colorado.edu>
Subject: Camera DA patch

I posted this Camera DA fix to comp.sys.mac quite a while ago and
the response was favorable so here is an encore.  Apparently Camera
fails in newer systems because it attempts to call SysBeep at interrupt
level.  The fix is to change these calls to NOPs as follows:

3f3c 0005 a9c8 --> 4e71 4e71 4e71

I believe there are three occurrences that must be changed.  Use Fedit
or ResEdit or whatever you have that allows file editing.

Jonathan

/* Jonathan Pratt          Internet: pratt@boulder.colorado.edu     *
 * Campus Box 525              uucp: ..!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!pratt *
 * University of Colorado                                           *
 * Boulder, CO 80309          Phone: (303) 492-4293                 */

--
Geoff Allen         \  Computers are useless.
uunet!pmafire!geoff  \  They can only give you answers.

escher@Apple.COM (Michael Crawford) (03/23/90)

In article <220@gollum.twg.com> lefty@twg.com (David N. Schlesinger) writes:
>In article <2367@syma.sussex.ac.uk> markf@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark Foster)
>writes:
>> Now, I know that command/shift/3 gives you a dump of the screen in
>> MacPaint format but how do I get a dump of the screen "With a menu dropped".
>
>Way back when, there was a DA called "Camera" which would do this.  It no
>longer works under the current System.  The "solution" I'm using is to use

You can get flash-it via anonymous ftp from sumex.stanford.edu, in the
file info-mac/cdev/flash-it.hqx, I believe.  Flash-it gives you an FKEY-like
command that will allow you to drag a rectangular box and copy it to the clip
board.  Other key sequences save the clipboard to a file (neat in any case!)
or to the printer.  It works with 8-bit color, and multiple monitors as
well, and with menus pulled down.

If you are not familiar with anonymous ftp, give the command, from a Unix
machine (or use hyperftp, or stanford MacIP's ftp client if you have a Mac
on the net!)

ftp sumex.stanford.edu
give the user name "anonymous"
give your actual login identity as a password.  This allows them to log
where their files are going.

give the commands:
cd info-mac
cd cdev
ls flash*
(this is to get the filename right.  Assume it is flash-it.hqx)
get flash-it.hqx

You will need to unbinhex, and unstuff the file; you can do both with stuffit,
which is also there -- but how to unstuff stuffit?  You should be able to find
it from a friend.

Kudos to Nobu Toge for writing such a fine utility!

--
Michael D. Crawford
Oddball Enterprises

Consulting for Apple Computer Inc.
escher@apple.com

The opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Philip.Craig@p27.f22.n282.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Philip Craig) (03/23/90)

In a message to All [22 Mar 90 06:27:00] David N. Schlesinger writes:

 >In article <2367@syma.sussex.ac.uk> markf@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark Foster)
 >writes:

 >> Now, I know that command/shift/3 gives you a dump of the screen in
 >> MacPaint format but how do I get a dump of the screen "With a menu dropped".

 >Way back when, there was a DA called "Camera" which would do this.  It no
 >longer works under the current System.  The "solution" I'm using is to use
 >ResEdit with the ResMenu editor (which can be ftp'd from apple.com, I
 >believe) installed.  The editor shows the menu as it would appear "pulled
 >down".  I take the screen shot and edit out everything that isn't the
 >menu...

Seems to me that I use Camera to do screen dumps with menus all the time.
I use System 6.0.4, etc on my SE/30.

--
Philip Craig - via FidoNet node 1:282/33
UUCP: ...!uunet!imagery!22.27!Philip.Craig

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (03/25/90)

There is a DA out there called menushot.  SEt up your screen, and hit the hot
key ... Voila, instant artistry with the menu showing, and the cursor in
position.  AND, if you include the caps key in the hot-key sequence, you get
the exact same shot LESS the cursor (or is it the other way around?).  Anyway,
check it out, it is widely available.  After all, we got it here in Vancouver,
BC, Canada.