[comp.sys.mac] Inside Macintosh: Will we ever see a revised, updated editi

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (03/18/90)

Ignore everything past IM-I.  This has two advantages.  1) you only
have one volume to read, and 2) you're program will run on my Plus,
which, for obscure reasons, I have to run System 3 on.

While part of this posting is meant as a joke, part of it is serious.
You can get quite far in an application with just IM-I.

						Tim Smith

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (03/18/90)

The stack on the CD-ROM is great, but it is real slow, even when I copy
it to my hard disk.

Also, Hypercard is real big.

What I would like to see someday is an electronic version of IM and the
tech notes that does NOT use Hypercard.  It would use a custom program
designed to be small and fast.

						Tim Smith

ps: yes, I know this is probably not possible for political/marketing
reasons, but I can dream, can't I?

bowman@reed.UUCP (Eric Bowman) (03/20/90)

In article <28002@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>While part of this posting is meant as a joke, part of it is serious.
>You can get quite far in an application with just IM-I.

Unless, of course, you plan to do any memory management, basic file i/o,
or printing... :-P

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (03/25/90)

>>While part of this posting is meant as a joke, part of it is serious.
>>You can get quite far in an application with just IM-I.
>
>Unless, of course, you plan to do any memory management, basic file i/o,
>or printing... :-P

Yes, you will need to glance at IM-II.  Actually, if you are writting
in C, you can use calloc and cfree from whatever standard libraries
your development system uses, and the stdio library for you file I/O.

This is not as bad as at sounds, since these are things that are hidden
from the user, so your application would look like a real Mac application.

But in general, you are right.  I was being a little too restrictive
in suggesting only IM-I.

My main point was that you do not have to read all five volumes of IM,
( or six if they release a volume for the new machines ) in order to
program the thing.

Sure, there are some things you miss if you don't read them all, but you
can learn these after you've got the basics down.  So what if your first
Mac program doesn't have heirarchical pop-up menus, and doesn't draw in
2^24 colors?

						Tim Smith

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (03/25/90)

$600 isn't a lot of money for what you get.  When you are a Partner, DTS
is willing to answer some pretty weird questions.  And you don't have to
be a Microsoft or a Claris to get answers.  Heck, I've asked them things
that were just idle curiosity ( i.e., I just wanted to know if something
would work because maybe, someday, I might need to know ), and DTS quite
often answers these ( actually, they answer most of the time, but saying
that would have messed up the justification of this message ).

Also, if you are a serious developer, you will need to test your program
on several different machines.  The developer discounts alone will cover
your $600/year.

						Tim Smith