[comp.sys.mac] looking for a Tektronix 4014 terminal emulator for IIcx

marek@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Marek Lugowski) (03/25/90)

Could someone point me to a Mac Tektronix 4014 emulator that would let me:

1.  carry on as I do now: Courier HST to Courier HST on a remote 8800/Ultrix
	via regular phoneline and ZTerm/RasterOps 264/6.0.4 IIcx.

2.  receive and display 128x128 color pixel dumps as quickly and often as it
	can stand it from a remote (ping: 128/500/1200 ms) Connection Machine.

The CM's unix front end writes down some sparse sample of the computed
output (the information is computed 100 times a second) as ppm files
or Xwindow commands.  However, we think that the 4014 protocol might
be the most portable, lean and convenient way to do it, allowing the
code to run without modification on so diverse controlling platforms as
Amiga, Mac, actual 4014 terminals, other 4014-capable terminals...
What do you think?

Thank you.
			-- Marek Lugowski
			   marek@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

			   Artificial Life Research Group
			   Computer Science Department
			   Indiana University
			   Lindley Hall 101
			   Bloomington, Indiana 47405

P.s.  I'll summarize and post any individual pointers not made in confidence.
      (smile)

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (03/25/90)

In article <39590@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, marek@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Marek
Lugowski) writes:
> Could someone point me to a Mac Tektronix 4014 emulator that would let me:
> 1.  carry on as I do now: Courier HST to Courier HST on a remote 8800/Ultrix
> 	via regular phoneline and ZTerm/RasterOps 264/6.0.4 IIcx.
> 2.  receive and display 128x128 color pixel dumps as quickly and often as it
> 	can stand it from a remote (ping: 128/500/1200 ms) Connection Machine.

The 4014's color capabilities are, well... minimal.  As I remember, a real
live Tek 4014 is a monochrome terminal.  Also, the 4014 is a *vector*
display, not a raster dislay.  What I would suggest is to look for a good
DEC VT241 emulator that supports "sixel" graphics, which lets you display
color bitmaps.

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
--

rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (03/26/90)

#  (looking for tek 4014 emulator that can display color bytmaps over
# an ethernet)
As for TCP/IP connections, NCSA Telnet 2.3 does 4014 emulation and also
will display pixel images transmitted via NCSA's public domain protocol
Get it from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  Without fancy-dancing, it won't work
over a modem though.  Use Versaterm or Versaterm Pro for modem-based
Tek work, though it won't display your pixel maps for you.