[comp.sys.mac] TIFF converter?

cro@cs.arizona.edu (Charles R. Oldham) (03/20/90)

Does anybody know the whereabouts of a program that will convert TIFF files to
other Mac graphics formats?  We are using an HP ScanJet Plus with some software
that saves the scanned images in TIFF format only, but none of our graphics
software will read TIFF.  We need to edit the images, but cannot.  It would
help if the software would keep as high a resolution as possible; some of our
images are very detailed and fine.

Please E-Mail me and I will summarize to the net.

Thanks in advance!

/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/*Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham                    | Bitnet: OLDHAM@ARIZRVAX     */
/*Department of Instructional Computing        | Internet:                   */
/*Ctr. for Computing Information and Technology| oldham@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu*/
/*University of Arizona                        | cro@caslon.cs.arizona.edu   */
/*Tucson, Arizona                              | "He's dead, Jim"--McCoy     */
/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
   "I do not speak for my employer.  I'm surprised it lets me speak at all."
/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

P. S.  Please use the "cro@caslon..." address.  I get my mail quicker that way.

Jerry.Bono@p23.f22.n282.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jerry Bono) (03/24/90)

In a message to All [21 Mar 90 06:51:00] Charles R. Oldham wrote:

 > Does anybody know the whereabouts of a program that will
 > convert TIFF files to other Mac graphics formats?  We are
 > using an HP ScanJet Plus with some software that saves the
 > scanned images in TIFF format only, but none of our graphics
 > software will read TIFF.  We need to edit the images, but
 > cannot.  It would help if the software would keep as high a
 > resolution as possible; some of our images are very detailed
 > and fine.

In two words: Adobe Photoshop.

--
Jerry Bono - via FidoNet node 1:282/33
UUCP: ...!uunet!imagery!22.23!Jerry.Bono

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (03/27/90)

>In a message to All [21 Mar 90 06:51:00] Charles R. Oldham wrote:

> > Does anybody know the whereabouts of a program that will
> > convert TIFF files to other Mac graphics formats?  We are

Studio/8 and Pixelpaint will read TIFF documents and will
output in PICT, MacPaint and StartupScreen, among others.
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) (03/27/90)

> Charles R. Oldham wrote:
>  > Does anybody know the whereabouts of a program that will
>  > convert TIFF files to other Mac graphics formats?

Jerry Bono replies:
> In two words: Adobe Photoshop.

A less expensive soultion would be 'Color Squeeze'  by Kodak.
The program reads TIFF, PICT, and a proprietary format that
supports visualy lossles compression up to 70:1.  The program
writes all of these formats too.  The only problem is that
while the program is anounced, it is not available outside
of beta test until the MacWorld Conference.

Pete Hoch