[comp.sys.mac] Mac IIci SIMM Configuration

chma@iceman.jcu.oz (Michael Antolovich) (03/06/90)

We just got our sticky little fingers on a IIci (5Meg/105Meg).  Actually
we used Apples 1Meg and added 4 Meg (3rd party, but installed by Apple).
The Mac died after 30 min.  After 2 days at the dealer, the mother board
was changed and the Mac came back.  This time Bank B had the 1 Meg and
Bank A had our 4Meg.  Now I'm sure that I heard that for better memory
efficency, 1 Meg in Bank A with 4Meg in B is the best configuration.
	When I asked about this at the dealer, their tech. bascially said
he never heard of this and since it isn't in his notes, we'll be charged
for swapping over the SIMMS (we can do it, but they threaten warrenty death
etc.).  Is this a know fact from Apple and if so, where is it documented
(so I can rub it in the face of the little arse hole :-).
	By the way, (now I'm only talking about the few that I have dealt
with in an academic experience, in Australia and the US), why are Apple
Dealers such slimy little bastards ?  The answer has something to do with
the fact that (for academics at least) they are the only source of Mac
products available and so don't need to be 'buyer friendly'.
	This little fiasco has been going on for a couple of weeks and I
think I'm a little miffed so excuse my out-burst.
					Michael

abdenour@mist.cs.orst.edu (Abdennour A. MOUSSAOUI) (03/07/90)

In article <543@iceman.jcu.oz> chma@iceman.jcu.oz (Michael Antolovich) writes:

>We just got our sticky little fingers on a IIci (5Meg/105Meg).  Actually
>we used Apples 1Meg and added 4 Meg (3rd party, but installed by Apple).
>The Mac died after 30 min.  After 2 days at the dealer, the mother board
>was changed and the Mac came back.  This time Bank B had the 1 Meg and
>Bank A had our 4Meg.  Now I'm sure that I heard that for better memory
>efficency, 1 Meg in Bank A with 4Meg in B is the best configuration.
>	When I asked about this at the dealer, their tech. bascially said
>he never heard of this and since it isn't in his notes, we'll be charged
>for swapping over the SIMMS (we can do it, but they threaten warrenty death
>etc.).  Is this a know fact from Apple and if so, where is it documented
>(so I can rub it in the face of the little arse hole :-).
>	By the way, (now I'm only talking about the few that I have dealt
>with in an academic experience, in Australia and the US), why are Apple
>Dealers such slimy little bastards ?  The answer has something to do with
>the fact that (for academics at least) they are the only source of Mac
>products available and so don't need to be 'buyer friendly'.
>	This little fiasco has been going on for a couple of weeks and I
>think I'm a little miffed so excuse my out-burst.
>					Michael

Your lucky day! I use a mac IIci that had 1 meg originally then I added
to it 4 megs using 70ns fast page-memory chips. 1 meg in bank A and
4 megs in bank B. I did it myself and didn't have a single problem.
I voided the warranty but who cares for three months they are gone.
Reference to use with your dealer is in:
Macintosh IIci Owner's Guide: pages 116,117 which came with the computer.
in page 116 there is a diagram that shows different configs. one of then
is 1meg in A and 4 megs in B no mention of vice versa.
In page 117 it say: "Bank A and B are interchangeable, but for best performance
with video, the amount of RAM in bank B should be GREATER or equal to the amount
of RAM in bank A."

So go to the dealer and have them do it and don't pay them a penny !!!

there might be a problem with the memory that you bought it should be
at least 80ns and also fast-page mode ships(just the vendor what type
they are, there is no way to tell what type they are by just looking at them).
Or there is a problem with the motherboard?

good luck!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ /\   !    ~~~~Hayaa Ala-falaah
Abdennour Moussaoui              || _~_~_      Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar

s320@cs.utexas.edu (Spring 90) (03/27/90)

In article <543@iceman.jcu.oz> chma@iceman.jcu.oz (Michael Antolovich) writes:

>We just got our sticky little fingers on a IIci (5Meg/105Meg).  Actually
>we used Apples 1Meg and added 4 Meg (3rd party, but installed by Apple).
>The Mac died after 30 min.  After 2 days at the dealer, the mother board
>was changed and the Mac came back.  This time Bank B had the 1 Meg and
>Bank A had our 4Meg.  Now I'm sure that I heard that for better memory
>efficency, 1 Meg in Bank A with 4Meg in B is the best configuration.
>	When I asked about this at the dealer, their tech. bascially said
>he never heard of this and since it isn't in his notes, we'll be charged
>for swapping over the SIMMS (we can do it, but they threaten warrenty death
>etc.).  Is this a know fact from Apple and if so, where is it documented
>(so I can rub it in the face of the little arse hole :-).

ARGH!  I work in service at our campus reseller, and, yes,
you do want to put the 256k SIMMS in bank A.
I don't remember exactly where I saw this, but I think
it was in the Applelink release notes on the ci.

The reason you want to do this is to minimize cycle stealing when using the
on board video, which uses bank A.  If you aren't using the on board video,
don't worry about it, but it's still a good idea in case you ever do use it.

I'd try looking in the memory configuration section of the ci manual.

Good luck.  Stick it to this bozo.

Ted

s320@ar-rimal.cs.utexas.edu

Don't shoot the food...