[comp.sys.mac] Xerox vs Apple; Finder User Interface Ideas wanted

topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) (03/26/90)

>>My personal hopes, for rationality and progress, are for Xerox to lose
>>against Apple and Apple to lose against HP/Microsoft.  The graphical
>>user interface is an inspiring invention, but no one should own it, any
>>more than you can own the rights to automatic transmissions or the
>>metric system.
>
>	Apple has never claimed the GUI as its own; it has claimed the Mac
>interface as its own.  The two are not the same.

What is it that consitutes the Mac User Interface vs. say NeXT Step or
OSF/Motif?  Trash cans? Disk icons? Double clicking and Dragging?
All these exist in other User Interfaces in one form or another.  Maybe
it's the way you perform a particular action that Apple is claiming is the
Mac User Interface.  Exactly what is Apple claiming?

Thinking along....If you could create a new User Interface for Finder what
would you change or add?  What are the complaints about Finder's interface?
Ejecting disks by dragging disks into trash cans are not intutive(sp?)!

-Chandra Bajpai
 topgun@brandeis.cs.edu

gwangung@milton.acs.washington.edu (Roger Tang) (03/26/90)

In article <1990Mar26.142308.6947@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) writes:
>What is it that consitutes the Mac User Interface vs. say NeXT Step or
>OSF/Motif?  Trash cans? Disk icons? Double clicking and Dragging?

	I haven't the briefs at hand, but from memory, I seem to recall
things like menus at top, pull down menus, scroll bars, etc.  None of
those are strictly necessary in any GUI.  Neither are trash cans, of course,
although that tends to be trivial.

	There are other matters, such as how to manage files, where I can
see alternatives to the Mac interface.

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) (03/27/90)

Chandra Bajpai quotes someone:

> >	Apple has never claimed the GUI as its own; it has claimed the Mac
> >interface as its own.  The two are not the same.

Chandra Bajpai then asks:

> What is it that consitutes the Mac User Interface vs. say NeXT Step or
> OSF/Motif?  Trash cans? Disk icons? Double clicking and Dragging?
> All these exist in other User Interfaces in one form or another.  Maybe
> it's the way you perform a particular action that Apple is claiming is the
> Mac User Interface.  Exactly what is Apple claiming?

As I understand it Apple is claiming its unique representation of
the GUI.  For example the scroll bars are 16 pixels wide, they have
an arrow at each end and a thumb.  Sunwindows also have scroll bars but
they do not look like or act anything like Apples, thus Apple does
not care about Sunwindows.  Another example, you can only resize an
Apple window from the bottom right corner.  In Sunwondows you can
resize from any window.  Apple: only the front window is active. Sun:
any window regardles of overlap can be active.  Apple is not saying
that is owns puldown menus.  However it is laying claim to an interface
with only one menu bar at the top of the screen where the first three
menus are 'System access', FILE, and EDIT.  And in addition the menus
have a drop shadow on the bottom and right side, etc.  I guess in
general Apple is not claiming ownership of Menus, Windows, Icons, or
the mouse.  It is claiming ownership of its very specific implimentation
of those ideas.

Now some are probably saying, "But Microsoft Windows don't look like
Apple's interface'.  In general this is true, however HP's implimentation
of the GUI used Windows and looked exactly like a Macintosh.  This is
what started the whole thing rolling.

Pete Hoch