[comp.sys.mac] Videx FunPack

dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) (03/08/90)

For years - good grief - I've enjoyed playing Klondike, from the Videx
Funpack; originally bought for my 128k Mac, its little vagaries
are getting to me now I have a couple of hard disks and lots of inits.

Vagaries? The <expletive> program insists on a hard reset on quitting. It
works just fine under multifinder (no Apple menu, tho') and if I left
it alone all would be well; but...

Does anyone (a) remember this program and - holds breath.. (b) know of
any way I can defeat its desire to reboot every time I leave it? I do
have a kosher copy, for what that's worth; are Videx still around?

Finally, any suggestions on current release Klondike for the Mac? Are there
any card games around now?

Thanks in advance...!

- duncan

doner@henri.ucsb.edu (John Doner) (03/08/90)

In article <4086@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) writes:

>For years - good grief - I've enjoyed playing Klondike, from the Videx
>Vagaries? The <expletive> program insists on a hard reset on quitting. It
>Does anyone (a) remember this program and - holds breath.. (b) know of
>any way I can defeat its desire to reboot every time I leave it? I do
>have a kosher copy, for what that's worth; are Videx still around?

I remember fixing some of their programs to be better behaved, but it
was a while ago.  I disassembled it, located the place where it did
the hard reset (by branching to a suitable place in low memory), and
then I patched the program by replacing the branch by an ExittoShell.

Not very difficult if you know how to use MacNosy and FEdit, but
otherwise ...

John E. Doner	       | "The beginner...should not be discouraged if...he
Mathematics, UCSB      | finds that he does not have the prerequisites for
Santa Barbara, CA 93106| reading the prerequisites."
doner@henri.ucsb.edu   |      --Paul Halmos, Measure Theory

rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) (03/09/90)

In article <4086@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) writes:
>Finally, any suggestions on current release Klondike for the Mac? Are there
>any card games around now?

There is a very nice Klondike for the Mac that is shareware(?) and is
available via ftp from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  It works well on
all Mac's (that I know of) and even supports some color.

Ray Fischer
rcfische@polyslo.calpoly.edu

s320@cs.utexas.edu (Spring 90) (03/27/90)

In article <4086@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) writes:

>For years - good grief - I've enjoyed playing Klondike, from the Videx
>Funpack; originally bought for my 128k Mac, its little vagaries
>are getting to me now I have a couple of hard disks and lots of inits.
>
>Vagaries? The <expletive> program insists on a hard reset on quitting. It
>works just fine under multifinder (no Apple menu, tho') and if I left
>it alone all would be well; but...
>
>Does anyone (a) remember this program and - holds breath.. (b) know of
>any way I can defeat its desire to reboot every time I leave it? I do
>have a kosher copy, for what that's worth; are Videx still around?

I remember this puppy...in fact, I just played it last night on
my SE.  The only way I could figure out to kill the hard reset
(I only thought about it for a few seconds) is to hit the interrupt
switch and do an ExitToShell.  It's an es in MacsBug, which I use.

>Thanks in advance...!
>
>- duncan

you're welcome.

Ted