[comp.sys.mac] HD recommendations wanted

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (03/09/90)

In article <5758@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> desdemona!vita@steinmetz.UUCP (Mark F Vita) writes:
*In article <2836@mtuni.ATT.COM> psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) writes:
**... You'll lost the second drive.
*
* This is no longer true...The hard drive mounts right on top of the
* two floppies.  It's kind of a tight fit, but it does work.

We've seen a number of internal drives setups like this in our shop.
We see them when the hard drive bumps into the crt circuit board, and
snaps the neck of the crt off.  I'd be worried about going with this
setup unless

1.  the SE has the old horizontal crt circuit board (with the old fan)
2.  the drive going in is one of the new 1" high (low profile) ones
3.  the SE is going to stay put - it doesn't travel from home to
    office (or school, etc.)

--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

s320@cs.utexas.edu (Spring 90) (03/27/90)

In article <20198@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) writes:
>In article <5758@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> desdemona!vita@steinmetz.UUCP (Mark F Vita) writes:
>*In article <2836@mtuni.ATT.COM> psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) writes:
>**... You'll lost the second drive.
>*
>* This is no longer true...The hard drive mounts right on top of the
>* two floppies.  It's kind of a tight fit, but it does work.
>
>We've seen a number of internal drives setups like this in our shop.
>We see them when the hard drive bumps into the crt circuit board, and
>snaps the neck of the crt off.  I'd be worried about going with this
>setup unless
>
>1.  the SE has the old horizontal crt circuit board (with the old fan)
>2.  the drive going in is one of the new 1" high (low profile) ones
>3.  the SE is going to stay put - it doesn't travel from home to
>    office (or school, etc.)
>
>--
>steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

I work in the service department in our campus reseller, and
I've been the one who has installed hard drives into 2 floppy
SE's most of the time.  I've had to deal with both horizontal
and vertical brackets, and about 3 or 4 different types of drives.

The only problem we've found after installation is interference
when the drive is seeking, but only on some machines (not with
a specific drive, either.)

However, most of the suppliers ship the drives with brain dead
brackets, so our policy is to (usually) do only Rodimes, because
they come with a special bracket designed for this purpose.

I have no financial interest in Rodime, and am just speaking
from experience.  My opinions are my own. (Like the MicroCenter
knows I have an opinion...ha!)

Ted

s320@ar-rimal.cs.utexas.edu

Don't shoot the food...