[comp.sys.mac] Xerox suit against Apple update

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (03/24/90)

Well, as i'm sure some of you may have heard, a judge threw out all but
one charge against Apple Computer brought on by Xerox. And even if Xerox
wins the remaining charge, it will not result in any Apple financial loss.
This is being called a victory for Apple.

Although on the other hand, this weakens their case against Microsoft and
whoever else they are suing, so all is good... Apple shouldn't win those
cases anyway.

Here's to the death of "look and feal!" :-)

- Chris

== Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719 ========= BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A. =====
== USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu ============ 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725 ========
== BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet ============= Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS ==
== GEnie:  C.Silverberg ================== America Online: Silverberg ========

topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) (03/25/90)

In article <10149@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
>Well, as i'm sure some of you may have heard, a judge threw out all but
>one charge against Apple Computer brought on by Xerox. And even if Xerox
>wins the remaining charge, it will not result in any Apple financial loss.
>This is being called a victory for Apple.
>
>Although on the other hand, this weakens their case against Microsoft and
>whoever else they are suing, so all is good... Apple shouldn't win those
>cases anyway.

What charges did the judge throw out? and how does this last charge affect
Apple?  I personally think Apple is guilty from stealing Xerox's technology.
I also think Apple is wrong suing HP/Microsoft for something they don't own.

Other opinions?

-Chandra Bajpai
 topgun@brandeis.cs.edu

topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) writes:

>What charges did the judge throw out? and how does this last charge affect
>Apple?

The only charge left is one wehre Xerox wanted an affirmation that it had a
copyright on the Star interface. It's a charge Apple didn't challenge
because it didn't apply to anything as far as Apple was concerned.

Anything that had anything to do with apple was thrown out of the suit.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

He hasn't an enemy in the world, and none of his friends like him. -- Wilde

cak3g@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Colin Klipsch) (03/26/90)

In article <1990Mar24.192730.20445@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) writes:
>In article <10149@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
>>Well, as i'm sure some of you may have heard, a judge threw out all but
>>one charge against Apple Computer brought on by Xerox. And even if Xerox
>>wins the remaining charge, it will not result in any Apple financial loss.
>>This is being called a victory for Apple.
>>

>What charges did the judge throw out? and how does this last charge affect
>Apple?  I personally think Apple is guilty from stealing Xerox's technology.
>I also think Apple is wrong suing HP/Microsoft for something they don't own.

I'm not sure I see how these two views can be consistent.  Back in the
early 80's, Jobs et. al. see the Xerox workstations and conclude that
a graphical user interface would make a great computer.  They borrow
some ideas from Xerox, add some of their own, and out comes the Macintosh.
You are calling this plagiarism -- it seems to me -- and I think there
are some good arguments for this.  Nevertheless. . .

You then turn around and say that when HP and Microsoft do the same
thing, they should be able to get away with it.  This seems highly
illogical to me.  If the first case is plagiarism, then so is the second.
It also becomes a plagiarism of a plagiarism, and so I suppose we
should hope for Xerox to sue Microsoft.  Maybe we can bring technological
innovation to a complete standstill until the 21st century, by imprisoning
everyone in the courtroom.

My personal hopes, for rationality and progress, are for Xerox to lose
against Apple and Apple to lose against HP/Microsoft.  The graphical
user interface is an inspiring invention, but no one should own it, any
more than you can own the rights to automatic transmissions or the
metric system.  A good example of how idea-ownership is abused is
Polaroid fast-developing film, which no one else is allowed to sell
or improve, except of course the one corporation which happened
to think of it first.  As far as I know, Polaroid will continue to
enjoy this special status for as long as it lives.

People should not buy a Macintosh because it's the only personal
computer allowed to have that graphical user interface, but because
it's the best personal computer yet invented.  (Not flawless, mind you,
but the best nevertheless :)  For Apple to maintain its leadership,
it should be forced to compete in the world of ideas, as should everyone
else.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
                                                      -- George Carlin
                            \ /
Bemusedly,                   | DISCLAIMER:
  Colin Klipsch              |   This text is actually a horrendously
  UVA Astronomy Department   |   garbled excerpt from _Mating_Rituals_
  Charlottesville, Virginia  |   of_West_African_Ostriches_, Vol IV,
  cak3g@virginia.edu         |   by Davis & Griffin, 1913, pp. 134-135
____________________________/ \_______________________________________

gwangung@milton.acs.washington.edu (Roger Tang) (03/26/90)

In article <2746@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> cak3g@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Colin Klipsch) writes:
>In article <1990Mar24.192730.20445@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) writes:
>>In article <10149@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
>My personal hopes, for rationality and progress, are for Xerox to lose
>against Apple and Apple to lose against HP/Microsoft.  The graphical
>user interface is an inspiring invention, but no one should own it, any
>more than you can own the rights to automatic transmissions or the
>metric system.

	This is true if and only if the Macintosh graphical interface was
the only way to implement a graphics interface, or if it was the best way by
a very large margin.  I don't think that's the case and that's how Apple
is arguing it.

	Apple has never claimed the GUI as its own; it has claimed the Mac
interface as its own.  The two are not the same.

	Whether or not Apple is justified for pursuing a look and feel case
against Mickeysoft and HP is another question.....

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (03/27/90)

In article <2746@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> cak3g@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Colin Klipsch) writes:
>People should not buy a Macintosh because it's the only personal
>computer allowed to have that graphical user interface, but because
>it's the best personal computer yet invented.  (Not flawless, mind you,
>but the best nevertheless :)  For Apple to maintain its leadership,
>it should be forced to compete in the world of ideas, as should everyone
>else.

This, and the rest of the thread is something I wish Apple's upper mgt.
would read and appreciate. The sooner Apple lays off some lawyers and
hires some customer service and technical people (BTW, the EXACT OPPOSITE
of what they have been doing the last few years), the better for all
us users - both Mac and non-Mac.

And given that a good lawyer costs about four times as much as a good
technical person, the better for Apple's bottom line!
How I long for the days when Apple was a company I could respect.

rich

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
Univ of Colorado/CIRES/NOAA	R/E/FS  325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)497-6011 or 444-3168

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) writes:

>The sooner Apple lays off some lawyers and
>hires some customer service and technical people (BTW, the EXACT OPPOSITE
>of what they have been doing the last few years

>And given that a good lawyer costs about four times as much as a good
>technical person, the better for Apple's bottom line!

Just to keep the facts straight, I might point out that neither of these
statements are true: I happen to *be* one of the technical support people
Apple's hired in the last 18 months. Customer Service has been adding new
services and hiring people for a couple of years. And good technical support
folks are *not* even remotely cheap to hire.