[comp.sys.mac] MS-Word 4.0

jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart) (03/22/90)

I have a very specific question about a very particular part of MS-Word.
I would like, if this is even possible, to instead of get a new document
when I run MS-Word, to instead have the program prompt me with the
OPEN dialogue box. That way insted of closing and opening, I can open
a document without searching through folders to find it.

	Any help would be sincerely appreciated...Ace

PS- Thanx in advance....

--
| Ace Stewart (Jonathan III)                             |A       /\       |
| Affiliation: Eastman Kodak Company. Rochester New York |      _/  \_     |

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/23/90)

In an article of <21 Mar 90 20:46:50 GMT>, jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace
Stewart) writes:

 AS>I have a very specific question about a very particular part of
 AS>MS-Word.
 AS>I would like, if this is even possible, to instead of get a new
 AS>document
 AS>when I run MS-Word, to instead have the program prompt me with the
 AS>OPEN dialogue box. That way insted of closing and opening, I can open
 AS>a document without searching through folders to find it.
 AS>
 AS>        Any help would be sincerely appreciated...Ace

Try OnCue. It gives you the ability to either open a document with a specified
file or OTHER. Use of other MIGHT cause you to have to dig through folders.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org

jayvana@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay van Achterberg) (03/24/90)

In article <2534@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart) writes:
>I would like, if this is even possible, to instead of get a new document
>when I run MS-Word, to instead have the program prompt me with the
>OPEN dialogue box. That way insted of closing and opening, I can open
>a document without searching through folders to find it.

As far as I know, there's no way to have Word prompt you with the open dialog
automatically on startup. Microsoft did build several nice features into
Word that make opening a file as opposed to writing a new file a little less
painful:

1.	If you choose the "Open..." command and open a file without making
	changes to the 	"Untitled 1" window that you get on startup, the
	"Untitled 1" window will automatically close. Therefore you don't have
	to close the existing window if all you want to do is open a new
	document.

	Expanding further, if you assign a convenient keystroke to the
	"Open..." command, all you have to do is launch Word, hit your
	convenient keystroke (I like command-tab) and there's the open
	dialog, which will act exactly like an open dialog that comes up in
	place of a new window.

2.	If you open specific documents all the time, you can add them to
	your "Work" menu, so they're only a menu selection away. Again, I
	think the "Untitled 1" window will go away if you select one of these
	documents without modifying the "Untitled 1" document.

3.	You can also make Word open a specific document when you make a
	certain keystroke. In the "Commands" window, choose "Open File Name:",
	select a document to open, and assign a keystroke to it. To remove
	that file from the keystroke later (this one took me a while to
	figure out), go to the "Open File Name:" command and select the same
	file using the "Open File..." button (you'll have to work your way
	through file hiearchy again). The file will be listed, and you can
	remove any assigned keystrokes from it.

	Opening a specific file with a keystroke is also nice for opening
	files at startup without messing around with the mouse.

				-Jay (jayvana@wpi.wpi.edu, jayvana@wpi.bitnet)

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (03/27/90)

In article <15174.260A2F9B@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) writes:
>In an article of <21 Mar 90 20:46:50 GMT>, jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace
>Stewart) writes:
>
> AS>I would like, if this is even possible, to instead of get a new
> AS>document
> AS>when I run MS-Word, to instead have the program prompt me with the
> AS>OPEN dialogue box.
>
>Try OnCue. It gives you the ability to either open a document with a specified
>file or OTHER. Use of other MIGHT cause you to have to dig through folders.
>
>Leo Bores, M.D.

AND, if you download DFaultD (version 2.0) you can specify the
'standard' folder for MS Word to use, and then you wouldn't have to
dig through the folders...  It seems like the combination should do
what you want.
--

	-=Alan=-
	aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu