[comp.sys.mac] zmodem

dl@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (07/30/89)

another MFAQ.
What comm programs for the Mac ll offer zmodem.
I am try to get a friend's machine to talk to other machines,
and zmodem would be a big help.
PD/SW or $$$ are all worth consideration.
reply to me (wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu)
and or jrb@uxv.larc.nasa.gov

Flash! Murphy gets look and feel copyright on sendmail.cf
  {gatech!} wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (305) 255-RTFM

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (08/05/89)

What comm programs for the Mac ll offer zmodem.
I am try to get a friend's machine to talk to other machines,
and zmodem would be a big help.
PD/SW or $$$ are all worth consideration.
reply to me (wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu)
and or jrb@uxv.larc.nasa.gov
<<

Red Ryder 11.0 should be released in the near future.  It contains a very
nice Zmodem.

RR 11 will be a BIG hit!

Ray

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Ray Terry                            Hewlett Packard Company  /HPG200/02
GEnie : R.Terry                      MacNET: Ray
Packet: N6PHJ @ N6IIU                UUCP  : sun!hpda!hpcupt1!rterry
Domain: rterry%hpda@hplabs.hp.com    SysOp : MacScience BBS (408) 866-4933
IPaddr: 44.4.0.214 N6PHJ.norcal.ampr CIS   : 71150,735
                 Standard disclaimers, etc. apply...
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

svoboda@cup.portal.com (Edward J Svoboda) (08/05/89)

I use a shareware program called ZTERM v0.8 to do all my communications on my
Mac Plus with an Everex Evercom 24E 300/1200/2400 MNP modem.  It fully supports
XMODEM 128, XMODEM 1K, YMODEM and ZMODEM protocols.  I use it in the ZMODEM
mode most of the time and it works great.  The author asks $30 for it.  You can
find it on many Mac BBS's and I believe it is even in the USENET Macintosh
binaries section.

Ed Svoboda
svoboda@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!svoboda

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (08/07/89)

In article <-286499990@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) writes:

> What comm programs for the Mac ll offer zmodem.
> I am try to get a friend's machine to talk to other machines,
> and zmodem would be a big help.
> PD/SW or $$$ are all worth consideration.
> reply to me (wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu)
> and or jrb@uxv.larc.nasa.gov
> <<

	Version 3.0 of MicroPhone II, which will ship within the next 15-30
days also includes support for the ZMODEM protocol (lots of other stuff too).
If, however, $$ is an issue, I can recommend ZTerm a shareware ($30-40) program
by Dave Alverson.  Version .8 (latest version) is available in comp.mac.binaries
as well as SUMEX, and the standard services (CIS, GEnie, etc.).
	Hope that helps.

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures
MicroPhone II Development Team
(so it makes me somewhat biased :-)

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

think@ut-emx.UUCP (s j moon) (08/10/89)

I installed zmodem in unix system and downloaded a file using zmodem 0.8
to my Mac. Everything is o.k. except one. It transmits a file in 512 bytes,
 not 1024 bytes. I used     sz -k foo.hqx
 What is missing ?             thanks.   s j moon

kenk@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Ken Konecki) (08/10/89)

( I tried replying the the mail but El Kabong was waiting there for it)

In article <16853@ut-emx.UUCP> think@ut-emx.UUCP (s j moon) writes:

>I installed zmodem in unix system and downloaded a file using zmodem 0.8
>to my Mac. Everything is o.k. except one. It transmits a file in 512 bytes,
> not 1024 bytes. I used     sz -k foo.hqx
> What is missing ?             thanks.   s j moon

Don't know for sure what happened, but here's a few things that might
help. First the -k option is only applicable for the xmodem/ymodem
protocol transfers under sz. Second, I believe sz sets the packet
length based on the current baud rate. I think that the -L option
overrides this (anyone is welcome to correctly me if I'm mistaken).

For the most part, I only use sz without options to transfer text
files and sz -b to transfer MacBinary files.

Cheers,
    -Ken K
--
Ken Konecki
"Eat well, stay fit, and die anyway"

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/27/90)

Does anyone out there have a decent implementation of zmodem for the
Mac (IIcx)?  A plain vanilla desk accessory would be just fine.  If
there is a terminal program that supports it, and it is as good as or
better than Smartcom, then I'd like to hear about that too.  PD or
shareware is preferred, but I will buy a product if it fits the bill
nicely.  Please send replies to me and I'll summarize to the net.

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Air Warrior is king!
------------------------------+---------------------------

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/27/90)

OK, the overwhelming majority of the 30-40 (gosh!) posts I've received
recommended Zterm .85.  I'll give it a try.  A few recommended
WhiteNight and Microphone also.  Thank you so much for the information!
 Hehe, I can't believe I got so many responses in less than 12 hours.
This is great!

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------

ar4@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) (03/27/90)

(Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>OK, the overwhelming majority of the 30-40 (gosh!) posts I've received
>recommended Zterm .85.  I'll give it a try.  A few recommended
>WhiteNight and Microphone also.  Thank you so much for the information!
> Hehe, I can't believe I got so many responses in less than 12 hours.
>This is great!

 And sometime's scary!

-----
Piper Keairnes