[comp.sys.mac] APDA

barad@brand.UUCP (Herb Barad) (01/22/87)

Does anyone know if APDA is on the net?  Any net?

--

Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]

USENET:		...!sdcrdcf!usc-oberon!brand!barad			or
		...!mcvax!seismo!sdcsvax!sdcrdcf!usc-oberon!brand!barad

ARPANET:	barad@brand.usc.edu

USMail:		Univ. of Southern California
		Powell Hall 306, MC-0272
		Los Angeles, CA 90089-0272
		phone: (213) 743-0911

roman@sigma.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <834@brand.UUCP> barad@brand.UUCP (Herb Barad) writes:
>Does anyone know if APDA is on the net?  Any net?

Yes, I know.... what?  Oh, you want to know too :-)

In the January, 1987 APDAlog they claim to be reachable as follows:

Phone: (206) 251-6548
Write: 290 SW 43rd St., Renton, WA  98055
AppleLink: APDA, the "Third-Party Products" icon contains product information
           and an order form.
CompuServe: 73527,27; also see MAUG's "AppDev" and database files on DL7.
GEnie: APPLE.COOP
The Source: CL2542

They also "regret the inconvenience" of their poor response to orders,
pleading rapid growth.  They now have "more 800 lines, a new customer
service number... and procedures designed to speed the taking of phone
orders."

jnp@daimi.UUCP (02/06/87)

>Does anyone know if APDA is on the net?  Any net?

Is APDA anything but rumours???

Orders seem require > 2 month to be delivered !!

--
			Regards J|rgen N|rgaard
				e-mail: jnp@daimi.UUCP

remym@tekig5.UUCP (03/12/87)

While I haven't had much experience ordering from APDA, the experience I
had was pretty good (or excellent compared to APDA's past performance :-)

Last Tuesday I ordered Smalltalk by phone; I had it by Friday!

Just my 2 cents worth,
A. Remy Malan

sorensen@hstbme.mit.edu (Gregory Sorensen) (09/07/88)

	I'm thinking of becoming a "Certified Developer" for
the Mac.  With the promo literature from Apple came an application
for APDA.  Should I join?  I would in a flash except for some
negative comments on the net and stories like the one in MacWeek last
week saying Apple was having difficulties with APDA and was going
to stop using them, etc.  Is it worth the $20?  How is the service?

Thanks,

Greg Sorensen

ech@poseidon.UUCP (Edward C Horvath) (09/07/88)

From article <6970@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, by sorensen@hstbme.mit.edu (Gregory Sorensen):

! 	I'm thinking of becoming a "Certified Developer" for
! the Mac.  With the promo literature from Apple came an application
! for APDA.  Should I join?  I would in a flash except for some
! negative comments on the net and stories like the one in MacWeek last
! week saying Apple was having difficulties with APDA and was going
! to stop using them, etc.  Is it worth the $20?  How is the service?

You haven't a choice if you intend to be a serious developer: a lot of Apple's
technical literature and developer products are available exclusively from
APDA.  Send 'em the $20 and smile.

I'm one of those who has complained about APDA -- or more precisely, about
Apple's decision to give a small volunteer organization exclusive
responsibility to serve tens of thousands of developers.

But my experiences with APDA have improved markedly over the past year or
so.  The folks on the order line now seem to be up-to-date on what is and
is not in stock, and it no longer takes two weeks to receive an in-stock
item via FedEx second-day air (yes, I actually had that experience in the
summer of '87).  Most recently I received MacApp 2.0B5, which hadn't even
been turned over by Apple, in three different packages within less than
two weeks of my order: APDA chose to ship each part of the partial order
as it became available.  I consider that EXCELLENT service, and I hope
we can depend on it to continue.

So credit where credit is due: APDA are getting better.  But you still
haven't got a choice...

=Ned Horvath=

cmccabe@cdp.UUCP (09/09/88)

You are talking about two different things.  Becoming a certified
developer with Apple is a bit different than merely joining Apda.  Apda
currently is a channel by which you can obtain apple developer products

Becoming a certified developer, as you may know from the literature,
provides you with additional materials: such as conferences, help and
direction from product evangelism, etc.

Of course, I have been a member of Apda for over a year, and have found
their service to improve over time, given the incredible amount
of business they have,and the amount of products they have.  No matter
what happens, it is my personal opinion that developers and other
interested individuals will be able to obtain products in a better
and quicker fashion as time progresses....

Charles McCabe
Micro-Computing Support Group
Apple Computer
Cupertino, CA
AppleLink: MCCABE.C

"My opinions and yak, yak are my own and no others."

akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Cox) (01/21/89)

Can someone please send me the address and 800 number from APDA?  I've
misplaced it somewhere.

Thanks,

Bruce Cox         UUCP: akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu   BITNET: clone@purccvm.bitnet
Purdue University "Of All The Things I've Lost, It's My Mind I Miss The Most"

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (03/20/90)

I gave APDA a call today (to order some source code examples for the
CommToolbox).  Apparently their computer is down and won't be back up
until Wednesday.  They took my order by hand, and said that they will
send out what I need on Wednesday.  (I'm crossing my fingers.  It only
took them 3 tries to get the right membership number, and 2 to get the
credit card number right.  Come to think of it, I didn't check the item
number.  Uh, oh.)

You would think that an organization operated by a computer company would
have better computer systems.  (Are they made by IBM by chance?)

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

dlw@hpccc.HP.COM (David Williams) (03/21/90)

>mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>I gave APDA a call today (to order some source code examples for the
>CommToolbox).  Apparently their computer is down and won't be back up
>until Wednesday.  They took my order by hand, and said that they will

Gee, you'd think they'd be using 4D as a front end and could store it locally.

>send out what I need on Wednesday.  (I'm crossing my fingers.  It only
>took them 3 tries to get the right membership number, and 2 to get the
>credit card number right.  Come to think of it, I didn't check the item
>number.  Uh, oh.)

>You would think that an organization operated by a computer company would
>have better computer systems.  (Are they made by IBM by chance?)

Yup and DEC. Too bad Apple doesn't use reliable HP Minicomputers
instead of bogus ol Big Blue boxes and Vaxen. ;)

-David "Who me trying to start something?" Williams
"Bringing a TOTALLY unbiased view from...;)"
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
David L. Williams   | Hewlett Packard  MS:46G   | Distributed  |Information
dlw@hpda.HP.COM     | 19447 Pruneridge Ave      | Application  |Architecture
...!hplabs!hpda!dlw | Cupertino, Ca 95014       | Architecture |Group
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

tomj@oakhill.UUCP (Tom Johnson) (03/21/90)

In article <5360045@hpccc.HP.COM> dlw@hpccc.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>>mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>>I gave APDA a call today (to order some source code examples for the
>>CommToolbox).  Apparently their computer is down and won't be back up
>>until Wednesday.  They took my order by hand, and said that they will
>
>Gee, you'd think they'd be using 4D as a front end and could store it locally.
>
>>You would think that an organization operated by a computer company would
>>have better computer systems.  (Are they made by IBM by chance?)
>
>Yup and DEC. Too bad Apple doesn't use reliable HP Minicomputers
>instead of bogus ol Big Blue boxes and Vaxen. ;)

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far, away...) I worked for DEC in a sales/
field service office.  At the time, I believe DEC was the 2nd largest
computer company in the U.S....we filled in time cards (by hand) which
were then banded together with a rubber band and sent to a "clearing house"
in Illinois to be keypunched (showing my age, eh?), subsequently the tapes
were forwarded to Maynard, MA to be run on the payroll computer.  Pay checks
were then sent **back** to the clearing house where they were split into
offices (by hand), and sent to each office.  This is why there was about a
week and a half delay from the close of a pay period and the arrival of the
paycheck.  Ain't high tech neat?

Tom J.  (tomj@oakhill.UUCP)

(Standard disclaimers apply)  P.S. This has no bearing on DEC as a company,
and is only a review of its old accounting practices...probably no longer
true anyway.

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (03/22/90)

Dear David -
  Actually the system is down, because they are making the conversion to a
new system running on a ----- HP system!

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (03/22/90)

>Dear David -
>  Actually the system is down, because they are making the conversion to a
>new system running on a ----- HP system!

True....  But I think the problem is from the 3rd party order processing
software that APDA is using, not from the HP (Series 925) hardware.

Ray

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (03/24/90)

After posting my original message, I too received a reply from APDA explaining
the situation, checking on my order, and assuring me that actions are being
taken to improve.  I replied that although I was impressed with the amount of
attention being given to complaints, it is the actions that result from these
complaints that are more important.

Well, today I received my order.  It was shipped UPS blue (normally $8) at
the price of UPS ground ($3).  Now that's the kind of gesture that I like.
(And yes, it is obvious that there was no mistake.  The computer invoice
definitely states parcel post.  It was crossed off by a real person, and
UPS Blue was written in).  Thank you APDA.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Ball State University  AppleLink: ST0374 (from UUCP: st0374@applelink.apple.com)

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (03/24/90)

Dear Ray -
  Actually the conversion is going very well, but conversion, as I am sure you
well know, always creates problems!

--

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (03/27/90)

In article <10970@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, mithomas@bsu-cs (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>After posting my original message, I too received a reply from APDA explaining
>the situation, checking on my order, and assuring me that actions are being
>taken to improve.  I replied that although I was impressed with the amount of
>attention being given to complaints, it is the actions that result from these
>complaints that are more important.
>
>Well, today I received my order.  It was shipped UPS blue (normally $8) at
>the price of UPS ground ($3).  Now that's the kind of gesture that I like.
>(And yes, it is obvious that there was no mistake.  The computer invoice
>definitely states parcel post.  It was crossed off by a real person, and
>UPS Blue was written in).  Thank you APDA.

My experience was similar.  I got the tech notes that were backordered
a few days later.  And on top of that, I got another email message
from Phil Ostrom (the APDA operations manager) who explained that he
didn't bother sending the catalog since the new one will be out
shortly.  He also said that he was interested in hearing comments --
good and bad -- about APDA's service.

So I'm glad to see that APDA is changing for the better.  It looks
like they're really trying to help people solve outstanding problems,
and I, too, want to thank them for their efforts.

All of a sudden APDA is turning into Land's End.  Just think, soon
they'll let you return Tech Notes because they shrunk too much in the
wash...  :-)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (03/27/90)

In article <1886@esquire.UUCP> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>In article <10970@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, mithomas@bsu-cs (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
> [Talk about finally getting a response from APDA deleted]

Well I'm glad their doing something for somebody.  I, however, have
gotten their usual shaft (i.e. "The check (TNs, catalog, etc.) is in
the mail").

--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)