[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0 and fonts

kearns@read.columbia.edu (Steve Kearns) (03/24/90)

When I move a word file from one machine to another, it forgets some
of its fonts (specifically times).

I think one machine has the standard fonts and the other has the
laser screen fonts.

Any workarounds or other hints?
-steve

Michael.Burton@p3.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Burton) (03/27/90)

   Steve Kearns writes:
> When I move a word file from one machine to another, it forgets some
> of its fonts (specifically times).

   Word keeps track of fonts by number.  Unfortunately, when the Mac
was introduced, the font numbering system wasn't very thoroughly
thought out.  Therefore, it's possible for font number x to be Times
on one system, and Cairo on another.
   Since the Adobe LaserWriter fonts are widely used, and are
presently vital to high-quality Mac printing, I think they should be
given precedence in font numbering.  The only way I know to accomplish
this is to use Font/DA Mover to remove all the removeable fonts from
your System.  Then, using the screen fonts file that came with the
LaserWriter (or any other Adobe screen fonts files you wish to use),
install your Adobe fonts.
   Next, use a utility like Steve Brecher's Font Harmony (part of the
Suitcase II package) to locate and fix conflicts between the fonts
in your System and your non-Adobe fonts.  Then you can install those
fonts.
   Even with this procedure, you may find that the fonts in your Word
documents are not correctly recognized when you move to another Mac,
but this should help to minimize the problem.

--
Michael Burton via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.3!Michael.Burton

uvfowl@uncecs.edu (Vicki J. Fowler) (03/28/90)

In article <6764@columbia.edu>, kearns@read.columbia.edu (Steve Kearns) writes:
> When I move a word file from one machine to another, it forgets some
> of its fonts (specifically times).
>
> I think one machine has the standard fonts and the other has the
> laser screen fonts.
>
> Any workarounds or other hints?
> -steve

The easiest solution is to install all the fonts that
are on each machine onto the other one (so that both machines
have the same fonts). If you use one font and put it into
another machine which does not have that font in its system,
it will usually change it to a default font. Also, unless you
are using a postscript Laser, make sure all the sizes on both
machines are identical. Good luck!
Vicki Fowler