[comp.sys.mac] Unix-appletalk bridge program is available

korfhage@polyof.poly.edu (A1 willard korfhage (cs) ) (03/16/90)

Uab is a program that acts like a bridge (e.g. Fastpath or Gatorbox). Any
mac that can put Ethertalk on an ethernet can talk to Columbia's CAP
package without needing a Fastpath or
Gatorbox on the network to handle protocol encapsulation. If your macs are
on Localtalk, and you have a mac connected to both the ethernet and the
localtalk network, then it appears that a software bridge like Liason can
be used to get to CAP, rather than having to spend a couple thousand
dollars for a dedicated bridge (see note later in message regarding this
setup).

My mac is on the school ethernet, and I use uab and CAP to use our suns as
file servers and to print to a QMS printer attached to a sun.

My mac is also connected to a localtalk network, and I recently tried to
install Liason to bridge the two networks, and it seemed to do so, except
that Liason always hung my machine after a couple minutes. Does anyone
else out there have Liason 2.05 running on a IIci? Even with a clean
system, no inits except Liason, and my mac disconnected from the networks,
Liason still hung my machine. The folks at Infoshpere were baffled, and
are sending me version 2.06, so until I get that I can't completely say
how well uab and liason will get along.

uab and cap are available for anonymous ftp from puscs.poly.edu
(128.238.5.8), in pub/Mac/Uab and pub/Mac/Cap. I don't know if CAP had to
be modified to work with uab or not. I'm just a user, and it is our
systems people who got uab debugged. (Translation: don't ask me any
tecnical questions about uab)

   Willard Korfhage
   korfhage@pucatt.poly.edu

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar15.183901.4236@polyof.poly.edu> korfhage@polyof.poly.edu (A1 willard korfhage (cs) ) writes:
> uab and cap are available for anonymous ftp from puscs.poly.edu
> (128.238.5.8), in pub/Mac/Uab and pub/Mac/Cap. I don't know if CAP had to
> be modified to work with uab or not.

Not really.  To use CAP in a uab-based system, you must rebuild the CAP
library, replacing one KIP-specific link-level source file with the
uab-specific equivalent which is provided in the uab distribution.
Then, relink the CAP applications, start up uab, and away you go!

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

bdest@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Benoit Desjardins) (03/28/90)

does anybody know if there is a PD software that enables us to read
Amiga floppies with the FDHD drive (or something like an Apple File
Exchange config file for Amigas)?  Is it a possible task, or is there
some hardware limitation that makes it impossible?

Please reply directly to benoit@speedy.cs.pitt.edu

					Benoit Desjardins