[comp.sys.mac] Inside Macintosh: Will we ever see a revised, updated edition?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (03/15/90)

Inside Mac is chock full of information -- a good deal of it outdated,
obscure, or just flat-out wrong.  It's nice that we have Tech Notes to
clear things up for us, but I don't like having to dig through the
indices for five volumes of IM as well as the TN index itself every
time I want to find out more about a Manager, or a technique, or so
forth.

Does Apple ever plan to rewrite Inside Macintosh?  It would be Real
Nice if the current set of five volumes were to be completely
revamped, removing all of the old information, adding compilations of
the new stuff from the Tech Notes, and expanding on all of that with
examples, examples, and even a few examples.  I'd be ecstatic if this
New, Improved Inside Macintosh were to be put into a HyperCard stack
-- better yet, a stack on a CD-ROM -- so that we could actually USE a
Mac to get at it.

I have a bad feeling that all they're going to do when System Seven
comes out is to add a Volume Six to what they've already got, and
throw a whole lotta new Tech Notes at us.  However, there's always the
chance that sanity will prevail, and they'll choose to update.

I can already hear the cries now: You *can't* rewrite IM!  All my
notes refer to page numbers [or section numbers, or nonesuch] in the
books!"  If you're silly enough to reference everything by page
number, then you should be programming in BASIC.

While I'm on the subject, has there ever been a list compiled of all
the known typos and misteaks in Inside Macintosh?  And if so, is that
list available on the net anywhere?

I think I'll go reread the description of the Sound Manager from my
copy of IM vol's I-III right now.  (And we wonder why people can't
seem to be upwardly compatible with new Macs!)

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
... s l o w l y,  s l o w l y,  w i t h  t h e  v e l o c i t y  o f  l o v e.

dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dan Schwarz) (03/15/90)

In article <14532@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

> I'd be ecstatic if this
>New, Improved Inside Macintosh were to be put into a HyperCard stack
>-- better yet, a stack on a CD-ROM -- so that we could actually USE a
>Mac to get at it.
>| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |

Not a bad idea; in fact, certified developers did receive a pre-release copy
of Inside Macintosh, done as a really big Hypercard Stack.  [At least, that's
what I'm told. I haven't seen this CD-ROM stack anywhere.]

There are a few problems with releasing IM as a stack : for one thing, you
need a Mac to get at the material.  Lots of times, you need to reference some
particular point of information, and your Mac is simply unavailable
(i.e. your system just crashed, or you're stepping through a program run, etc.)
Also, I simply like to read through a real BOOK when I'm learning information,
rather than reading info on the screen.

A new Inside Macintosh on CD-ROM would be an excellent counterpart to the book,
but it should not be in place of the book.  With the cost of CD-ROMs so cheap
now ($2 each after the $1000 setup charge) Apple could easily include a
CD-ROM with each IM book purchased.

--
| And the men who hold | Dan Schwarz, MB 2926 Brandeis U. | RECYCLE YOUR JUNK|
| high places/ Must be | I'NET dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  | SUPPORT EARTH DAY|

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (03/16/90)

(Brian Kendig) writes:
> ...It would be Real
> Nice if the current set of five volumes were to be completely
> revamped, removing all of the old information, adding compilations of
> the new stuff from the Tech Notes, and expanding on all of that with
> examples, examples, and even a few examples.  I'd be ecstatic if this
> New, Improved Inside Macintosh were to be put into a HyperCard stack
> -- better yet, a stack on a CD-ROM -- so that we could actually USE a
> Mac to get at it.

It's been done!  "Phil & Dave's Excellent CD," available to developers
(tell APDA you want it from them) contains "SpInside Mac" -- all of IM,
with the obsolete information removed, in a stack, plus the Tech Notes
stack, with buttons linking each part of IM to the relevant tech notes.
No expanded information or examples, though, because the goal was to get
it out quickly.

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (03/16/90)

ok, and now for those of us without CD-ROMs......

#========##========##========##========*========##========##========##========#
# MegaloErik: Loosing contact with VICE 10...  Welcome to Andrew!             #
# ARPA: es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu  Fido: 129/107  BBS: Mac @ Night  (412) 268-8974 #
#   GEnie: E.SELBERG   Delphi: LORDERIK   CIS: 71470,2127   MacList: 6009/1   #
#========##========##========##========*========##========##========##========#

...48 hours of continuous study have proven that Elvis is alive and teaching
math at CMU.

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (03/16/90)

>It's been done!  "Phil & Dave's Excellent CD," available to developers
>(tell APDA you want it from them) contains "SpInside Mac" -- all of IM,
>with the obsolete information removed, in a stack, plus the Tech Notes
>stack, with buttons linking each part of IM to the relevant tech notes.
>No expanded information or examples, though, because the goal was to get
>it out quickly.
>
>David Casseres
>     Exclaimer:  Hey!

Phil and Dave's Excellent CD is not, and will not be available through
APDA. This is due to the fact that the CD contains several unfinished
or untested items that are considered too preliminary for general
distribution through APDA.  The CD has only been made available to Apple
Partners who have access to Developer Technical Support.  Apple has made
a commitment to making the tools contained on Phil and Dave's Excellent
CD more generally available when they are in a more finished and tested
state.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail:  rickf@apple.com
AppleLink:  FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (03/16/90)

In article <7202@goofy.Apple.COM>, casseres@apple (David Casseres) writes:
>In article <14532@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
>(Brian Kendig) writes:
>> ...It would be Real
>> Nice if the current set of five volumes were to be completely
>> revamped, removing all of the old information,
>
>It's been done!  "Phil & Dave's Excellent CD," available to developers
>(tell APDA you want it from them) contains "SpInside Mac" -- all of
>IM,

And all for a mere order-of-magniture higher price for the CD_ROM
player, CD, developer subscription fee, ...

>David Casseres

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (03/18/90)

> Phil and Dave's Excellent CD is not, and will not be available through
> APDA. This is due to the fact that the CD contains several unfinished
> or untested items that are considered too preliminary for general
> distribution through APDA...
>
> Rick Fleischman

Yes, but APDA will ship preliminary documentation for other products without
hesitation.  Here's an example: Macintosh Communications Toolbox.  The first
beta documentation released was very hard to comprehend.  The sample code
was nearly useless.  The manual contradicted itself in several places.  But
it was still useful for the information it contained.

So put out Phil and Dave's CD anyway, label it beta, and we will be happy.
I realy don't think we will mind wading through the problems.  (Or how
about this:  Ship the current version for people who need something like
it, and provide an automatic upgrade to the final version when it is
released.)

-Michael

p.s.  Did anyone notice this sample function prototype at the beginning
      of the CommToolbox final draft document:

         PROCEDURE GetDown(andBoogie: ONEMORETIME);

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (03/18/90)

writes:
> >In article <14532@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
> >(Brian Kendig) writes:
> >> ...It would be Real
> >> Nice if the current set of five volumes were to be completely
> >> revamped, removing all of the old information,
> >
> >It's been done!  "Phil & Dave's Excellent CD," available to developers
> >(tell APDA you want it from them) contains "SpInside Mac" -- all of
> >IM,
>
> And all for a mere order-of-magniture higher price for the CD_ROM
> player, CD, developer subscription fee, ...

Huh?  Being an Apple Partner costs $600/year, and gets you really good
hardware discounts, access to MacDTS, access to events like the annual
Spring Developers' Conference, and developer mailings, which include
things like the CD.

The CD-ROM drive, last I looked, was less costly than, say, Toshiba's.

                                Paul Snively
                      Macintosh Developer Technical Support
                             Apple Computer, Inc.

1st Choice: Paul_Snively.DTS@qm.gateway.apple.com
2nd Choice: CHEWBACCA@applelink.apple.com
Last Choice: chewy@apple.com

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that I believe
what they believe, or vice-versa.
:
:Huh?  Being an Apple Partner costs $600/year, and gets you really good
:hardware discounts, access to MacDTS, access to events like the annual
:Spring Developers' Conference, and developer mailings, which include
:things like the CD.
:
:The CD-ROM drive, last I looked, was less costly than, say, Toshiba's.

Not true.  Apple CD-ROM drive retails for $1200, and its educational price is
$1000.  Toshiba's I've seen advertized for $700.

Even so $700 + $600 = $1300
$1300 + $??? for the CD-ROM > $1300

Meanwhile, Inside Mac:  5 @ $25 = $125.

$1300/$125 > 10, so it's an order of magnitude increase.  That's the point....

--Mike

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (03/19/90)

In article <10938@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael
Thomas Niehaus) writes:
> > Phil and Dave's Excellent CD is not, and will not be available through
> > APDA. This is due to the fact that the CD contains several unfinished
> > or untested items that are considered too preliminary for general
> > distribution through APDA...
> >
> > Rick Fleischman
>
> Yes, but APDA will ship preliminary documentation for other products without
> hesitation.  Here's an example: Macintosh Communications Toolbox.  The first
> beta documentation released was very hard to comprehend.  The sample code
> was nearly useless.  The manual contradicted itself in several places.  But
> it was still useful for the information it contained.
>
> So put out Phil and Dave's CD anyway, label it beta, and we will be happy.
If you want more examples of "unsupported" things which have been sold through
APDA: Smalltalk-80 and Macintalk. The former was a Good Idea because it was
only of appeal to sophisticated programmers and was anyway replaced by good
commercial products. The latter was NOT a Good Idea, because Apple didn't think
about replacing it with a workable alternative (well, if they did, they haven't
done anything about it yet).

So: be consistent, Apple. If something is not currently supportable, but is
going to be part of a "finished" product, why not sell it with large red
disclaimers? You've done it before. This is a hell of a lot better than
selling an "unfinished" hack like Macintalk, complete with disclaimers, and
ignoring the fact that there are a lot of people who actually use it and would
be really happy if a "supported" version appeared.

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (03/19/90)

In article <1911@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>In article <7248@goofy.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
>:The CD-ROM drive, last I looked, was less costly than, say, Toshiba's.
>
>Not true.  Apple CD-ROM drive retails for $1200, and its educational price is
>$1000.  Toshiba's I've seen advertized for $700.

We dropped the retail price on the AppleCD SC to $899 in the USA.  (I'm
sure the educational and other prices dropped as well, but I haven't
seen a press release about that.)  That probably means the "street"
price is comparable to Toshiba's.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinions, not Apple's"

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/19/90)

In article <39591@apple.Apple.COM> blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>In article <1911@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>>In article <7248@goofy.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
>>:The CD-ROM drive, last I looked, was less costly than, say, Toshiba's.
>>
>>Not true.  Apple CD-ROM drive retails for $1200, and its educational price is
>>$1000.  Toshiba's I've seen advertized for $700.
>
>We dropped the retail price on the AppleCD SC to $899 in the USA.  (I'm
>sure the educational and other prices dropped as well, but I haven't
>seen a press release about that.)  That probably means the "street"
>price is comparable to Toshiba's.

Thanks to the folks who have written to correct my price quote.  I was quoting
from MIT's computer store's price list, which is the March-April '90 list, so
apparently they haven't heard about the change just yet.  Would anybody who
has had experience with Apple's and Toshiba's drives like to comment?  I liked
the Toshiba I saw because it loaded with a drawer, not an awkward cartridge.
What I really want is a read/write/erase drive that does disks that can be
read by a normal CD-ROM drive (and yes, the hidden agenda: audio disk
players).  That will be a drive to have!

More in a bit...

--Mike

erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (03/19/90)

In article <7248@goofy.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
>Huh?  Being an Apple Partner costs $600/year, and gets you really good
>hardware discounts, access to MacDTS, access to events like the annual
>Spring Developers' Conference, and developer mailings, which include
>things like the CD.

	Unless of course you happen to be a UK Developer ($960 a year)
and then you get hardware at more than the US list price, access to
Apple UK DTS who know nothing about anything and a chance to be told
over the phone (if you can get through or get your calls returned) that
Phil and Dave CDs are not going to be made available to UK Developers
and no we aren't going to ship the 'Develop' CD series. :-(

>The CD-ROM drive, last I looked, was less costly than, say, Toshiba's.

	Not in this country even with the 'generous' developer discount
:-(
		Tony

--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk

	Yuppies think I'm a wino 'cos I seem to have no class,
	Girls think I'm perverted 'cos I watch them as they pass.

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (03/19/90)

In article <7248@goofy.Apple.COM>, chewy@apple (Paul Snively) writes:
>In article <2878@castle.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell)
>writes:
>> And all for a mere order-of-magniture higher price for the CD_ROM
>> player, CD, developer subscription fee, ...
>
>Huh?  Being an Apple Partner costs $600/year,

Well, that's N times the cost of the books already, and in my books
counts as a lot of money.

>and gets you really good
>hardware discounts, access to MacDTS,

...even in Europe?

> access to events like the annual
>Spring Developers' Conference,

Unfortunately, the cost of a return flight to the US is probably as
much as the Apple Partner fee, and besides, the jet-lag...

>The CD-ROM drive, last I looked, was less costly than, say,
>Toshiba's.

I'd rather just have the books. (I have IM I and II, which is plenty
for my needs).

>                                Paul Snively

		Nick.
--

dwt@well.sf.ca.us (dwt) (03/20/90)

>> ok, and now for those of us without CD-ROMs......

My prediction is that that the CD-ROM Drive is the most popular
add-on purchase for a Serious Mac Developer in the next 12 months.

So get real and get a CD-ROM Drive, or your only playing at
this game!

--
David W. Taylor, Detail Software,75 Camino De Herrera, San Anselmo, CA 94960
                                           (415) 453-0712  dwt@well.sf.ca.us

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (03/21/90)

In article <16759@well.sf.ca.us>, dwt@well (dwt) writes:
>My prediction is that that the CD-ROM Drive is the most popular
>add-on purchase for a Serious Mac Developer in the next 12 months.
>
>So get real and get a CD-ROM Drive, or your only playing at
>this game!

But I WANT to just play at this game. I have a Mac at home, and I want
to write applications for it. I paid close on $2000 for a Mac+, HD,
THINK C and a couple of IM books. (and you don't want to know how much
hassle I had finding the IM books.)  Are you telling me I should pay
as much again just to find out how to program my own computer?

Huge developers' fees are fine for commercial developers living
in California with easy access to developer support and so on.
Do Apple want to completely cut out the guy in Europe who bought a Mac
for home use, and who wants to program it?

I guess so. So much for the open software design, the Machine
For The Rest Of Us, the Power To Be Our Best, and so on.

>David W. Taylor

		Nick.
--

tjc@pacvax.UUCP (Tom Colley) (03/22/90)

In article <7248@goofy.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
>Huh?  Being an Apple Partner costs $600/year, and gets you really good
>hardware discounts, access to MacDTS, access to events like the annual
>Spring Developers' Conference, and developer mailings, which include
>things like the CD.
>
>The CD-ROM drive, last I looked, was less costly than, say, Toshiba's.
>
>                                Paul Snively
>                      Macintosh Developer Technical Support
>                             Apple Computer, Inc.

Hello Apple?
I develop Mac software on my own time at home. I have already sunk quite
a bit of my own money into Apple (Mac II, color monitor, APDA, Inside Mac,
MPW, MPW C, MIDI Toolbox, etc.)  I am not a large corporation that can
afford to buy anything!  I just do not have the cash to buy a CD ROM
(around $700 - $1200), becoming an Apple Partner ($600/year), flying to
the 'annual Spring Developers' Conference', or (after becoming a
'partner') buying a CD that has the updated Inside Mac Manuals ($???).
I would appreciate being able to get the updated IM in some other
(slightly cheaper) form.  Thank you.

I have purchased MPW and MPW C through APDA (version 3.0) about five
months ago.  Version 3.1 is now available (I believe).  What is the
upgrade path (I'm sure I'll find out in the Feb-no-March (only ten days
left!) issue of APDAlog)?  Will I have to sink another $100 in?

Tom Colley          <pacvax!tjc@uunet.uu.net>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= How's this for a sig?=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My wife got her FOUR year old car fixed UNDER WARRANTY recently, and she
paid about the same for her car as the list price of a color Mac II
w/4MB and an 80meg disk.  (She still has another two years left on her
warranty).  How 'bout that ole 90 days?

Any opinions are my own and do not reflect anything about anybody.

mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (03/22/90)

In article <174@pacvax.UUCP> tjc@pacvax.UUCP (Tom Colley) writes:
>In article <7248@goofy.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
>>Huh?  Being an Apple Partner costs $600/year, and gets you really good
>>hardware discounts, access to MacDTS, access to events like the annual
>>Spring Developers' Conference, and developer mailings, which include
>>things like the CD.
>>
>>The CD-ROM drive, last I looked, was less costly than, say, Toshiba's.
>
>Hello Apple?
>I develop Mac software on my own time at home. I have already sunk quite
>a bit of my own money into Apple (Mac II, color monitor, APDA, Inside Mac,
>MPW, MPW C, MIDI Toolbox, etc.)  I am not a large corporation that can
>afford to buy anything!  I just do not have the cash to buy a CD ROM
>(around $700 - $1200), becoming an Apple Partner ($600/year), flying to
>the 'annual Spring Developers' Conference', or (after becoming a
>'partner') buying a CD that has the updated Inside Mac Manuals ($???).
>I would appreciate being able to get the updated IM in some other
>(slightly cheaper) form.  Thank you.

  Oh, come off it, people!  I've been hacking away on my Mac for years
getting a program into shape, paying for everything out of my (small)
pocket.  Recently I found an investor.  One.  The grand total for a CD-ROM,
certification fee, and a flight to San Jose for a few days for the
conference was ~$1500.
  What's my point?  If you are serious about MAKING MONEY as a developer,
you ought to spend the money for this stuff.  The above is about 1/10 the
price of a nice, big, color ad in MacWorld.

  If you are doing it as a hobbyist, don't worry.  You can almost certainly
get what you need from Apple through APDA, no CD-ROM, no nothing.  If you
NEED pre-release System 7.0 software, if you NEED to buy one each of every
CPU Apple sells, if you NEED to get your product out to beta testers
yesterday, you WILL pay the money, and with a smile!  If not, don't.
Chances are you can do whatever you want with paperback IM, auto-order
technotes, and a little cleverness.

-- Mark Wilkins

bc@modernlvr.sgi.com (Bill Coderre) (03/23/90)

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
|It's been done!  "Phil & Dave's Excellent CD," available to developers
|(tell APDA you want it from them) contains "SpInside Mac" -- all of IM,
|with the obsolete information removed, in a stack, plus the Tech Notes
|stack, with buttons linking each part of IM to the relevant tech notes.
|No expanded information or examples, though, because the goal was to get
|it out quickly.

Before anyone gets too bent out of shape about not being able to get
vital programmers' info from Apple since APDA has decided the info
isn't "good" enough, let me point out just exactly what Mr Casseres
was saying. (I've only played with SpInside Mac for a few hours, so I
might not be fully correct. If so, I welcome your corrections.)

SpInside Mac is a stack which contains the text of IM I-V, *minus*
such obviously out-of-date sections as the MFS chapter of IM II. It
also contains pointers between IM and TechNotes and Developer Q&A
notes.

It is, therefore, virtually identical to the paper IM. It doesn't have
any revisions to speak of, since no text was really rewritten.

I'm glad Apple has undertaken the task of making an on-line reference.
It will obviously be of great value when they finish.

Can someone tell me what ELSE is on Phil & Dave's CD, especially what
is of interest to a meat'n'potatoes programmer?

bc
(whose only connection to SGI is that his girlfriend works there)

arvidson@euclid.MATH.ColoState.Edu (John Arvidson) (03/23/90)

Ever since I saw the following message in an info-mac digest I have been
patiently waiting for SpInside Macintosh to be posted to Apple.com.  Does
anyone know the current status of this situation??

John Arvidson
arvidson@euclid.math.colostate.edu

        Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 21:31:09 PST
        From: Mark B. Johnson <mjohnson@apple.com>
        Subject: Human Interface Notes

        The first six Human Interface Notes (updates to the book) are now
        available for FTP from Apple.com.  They are StuffIt format MacWrite
        files available in the ~ftp/pub/dts/human.interface directory and
        they are applicable to both Apple II and Macintosh developers.

        Apple II sites should expect the January release of Technical Notes
        within a few days, and Macintosh sites should expect the February
        release of Technical Notes within two weeks.

        We also recently got clearance to put some System Software and other
        development tools up for FTP, but we have to work out the logistics
        of doing it...but its just a matter of time now.  Same goes for
        SpInside Macintosh.  Should be able to put it up in a few weeks if
        the decision we are expecting is made.  Thanks for the patience.

        Mark

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/24/90)

In article <2967@castle.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>In article <16759@well.sf.ca.us>, dwt@well (dwt) writes:
>>My prediction is that that the CD-ROM Drive is the most popular
>>add-on purchase for a Serious Mac Developer in the next 12 months.
>>
>>So get real and get a CD-ROM Drive, or your only playing at
>>this game!
>
>But I WANT to just play at this game. I have a Mac at home, and I want
>to write applications for it. I paid close on $2000 for a Mac+, HD,
>THINK C and a couple of IM books. (and you don't want to know how much
>hassle I had finding the IM books.)  Are you telling me I should pay
>as much again just to find out how to program my own computer?

No, you don't have to do that. However, just like with a car, extras cost extra.
Air conditioning is *nice*, but you don't need it to drive your car. Something
like SpInside Mac is *nice*, but you don't need it to program your computer.
People have managed to scrape by without it for years now.

>Huge developers' fees are fine for commercial developers living
>in California with easy access to developer support and so on.
>Do Apple want to completely cut out the guy in Europe who bought a Mac
>for home use, and who wants to program it?

Anyone in America has the same sort of access to developer support that a
developer in California does. We take all of our questions electronically, so
it doesn't matter where you are. The exceptions to this are International
developers. We in Cupertino found ourselves being deluged by questions from all
over the world. We just couldn't handle them all without either sacrificing
quality or turn-around time. So the various International offices are taking
up the slack by creating their own DTS departments. There is a EURO.DTS that
is the bottleneck for all European questions. There are also offices in Japan
Australia, the UK, France, Austria, Germany, etc.

I hope that not too many people consider $600 "huge". Considering what $600
gets you, and considering that it doesn't even begin to pay for our costs in
giving that support, and considering that other companies charge up to $9000
for similar support, I don't think it's too out of line. Of course, it DOES
cut out some people. I remember being in college, where $5 was food for 2 days,
and where the loose change I had in pocket was all the money I had in the
world. But it's hard -- very hard -- to be everything for everybody. With
the situation right now, we can't support poor developers who can't afford
Apple Developer Support. On the other hand, if we opened up support to everyone,
the the big companies like Claris and MicroSoft feel slighted because we are
helping someone figure how to write an INIT that makes the the garbage can emit
funny noises when you empty it, rather than helping them on Excel 10.0 or
MacWrite III 5.2 v4. I don't think that we're kowtowing to big corporate
pressure, but we have to strive for some middle ground.

>I guess so. So much for the open software design, the Machine
>For The Rest Of Us, the Power To Be Our Best, and so on.

Depends on how you limit yourself in your own mind. Ray Lau wrote StuffIt
without any fancy aids. Look at where it got him now. The guy's...what...15?

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (03/24/90)

In article <39765@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
> Something
> like SpInside Mac is *nice*, but you don't need it to program your computer.
> People have managed to scrape by without it for years now.

Also, a lot of this stuff is definitely in the "it's a prototype but it
might be useful" category.  I've played with SpInside Mac, and frankly,
it's not all that useful in real life, although it makes a real nice CD-ROM
demo.  I'm back to using my 5 volumes of Inside Mac and 3 notebooks full
of Tech Notes, for the following reasons (among others):

 - Size

   Paper docs don't take up any disk space (I wouldn't advise trying to
   use SpInside Mac from the CD-ROM--it's too slow).  Of course, the stack
   doesn't take much shelf space, either :-).

 - Speed

   I can flip between pages much more quickly than I can flip around in
   SpInside Mac, especially if I use little scraps of paper (or pens,
   more often than not) to mark the sections I need at the moment.  Part
   of this is familiarity--after so many years of programming the Mac, I
   know IM pretty well, and usually know where to find what I need, and
   I'm not bad at remembering when there's a tech note about something.

 - Availability

   Unless you've got an extra Mac on your desk, it's awfully hard to look
   up stuff while you're sitting in TMON or MACSBUG...  SADE would
   alleviate ths problem if it were faster, and if buggy programs never
   scrogged MultiFinder...

 - Visual Appearance

   Having everything in Monaco 9 with separate buttons for any illustrations
   is not my idea of an effective style of presentation.

Sticking with my paper IM,
--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

"Dans la vie y'a des hauts pis des bas,
des choses qui sont et d'autres qui ne sont pas."
	--Lucie Blue Tremblay

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (03/24/90)

In article <1990Mar23.191614.15947@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:

> - Speed
>
>   I can flip between pages much more quickly than I can flip around in
>   SpInside Mac, especially if I use little scraps of paper (or pens,
>   more often than not) to mark the sections I need at the moment.  Part
>   of this is familiarity--after so many years of programming the Mac, I
>   know IM pretty well, and usually know where to find what I need, and
>   I'm not bad at remembering when there's a tech note about something.

The best part about Programmers Online companion is that after the
routine name is the page number of inside Mac. So if you want to know
where in inside mac to look, just type the trap name and Bingo, an
instant page number.

I also use the Inside mac Da. But the book is so much faster to use.

Also have you ever tried to use a da from MacsBug? :-)

>--
>Amanda Walker
>InterCon Systems Corporation
>
>"Dans la vie y'a des hauts pis des bas,
>des choses qui sont et d'autres qui ne sont pas."
>	--Lucie Blue Tremblay

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       mxmora@unix.sri.com

hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (03/24/90)

Since SpInside Mac is causing such a furor because people can't get their
hands on it AND because the Tech Notes Stack and Q&A stack are available
apple.com, WHY NOT just amke it available for anonymous FTP from apple.com,
thereby allowing those who do not have access to a CD-ROM player a chance to
get their hands on it. If there is some balatantly obvious reason why this
is an incredibly stupid idea, I'm sure someone will come and cut me off at
the knees (strictly to ensure that no one is misinformed, mind you), but
until that happens, I think this would be a way to make at least a few of
the grumblers happy (like me :-)))).

David

stoms@castor.ncgia.ucsb.edu (David Stoms) (03/26/90)

In article <84442@tiger.oxy.edu> hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) writes:
>Since SpInside Mac is causing such a furor because people can't get their
>hands on it AND because the Tech Notes Stack and Q&A stack are available
>apple.com, WHY NOT just amke it available for anonymous FTP from apple.com,
>thereby allowing those who do not have access to a CD-ROM player a chance to
>get their hands on it. If there is some balatantly obvious reason why this
>is an incredibly stupid idea, I'm sure someone will come and cut me off at

I think your forgetting something! SpInside Mac is about 16-18 MEGS the
last time I checked! Now take a stuffit file that big and _binhex_ it,
jeez, your going to be downloading for a long, long, long time. I do
agree in principle but its so impractical. Maybe Apple could release
the monster through APDA and 800K disks for people without a CD drive
(like me).

In any case, SpInside Mac isn't the end-all solution to our docmentation
problems. Inside Mac needs to be completely written, condensed,
reorganized, and re-published on paper. A HC version would be nice too but
it can't replace paper because I like leaving my manuals open during
a crash without using more than one computer..

Josh.

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (03/27/90)

In article <39765@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple (Keith Rollin) writes:
>On the other hand, if we opened up support to everyone, the the big
>companies like Claris and MicroSoft feel slighted because we are
>helping someone figure how to write an INIT that makes the the
>garbage can emit funny noises when you empty it, rather than helping
>them on Excel 10.0 or MacWrite III 5.2 v4. I don't think that we're
>kowtowing to big corporate pressure, but we have to strive for some
>middle ground.

Perfectly understandable.  And anyway, those of us poor souls who own
Microsoft products would much rather you help them than the INIT
writers of the world, since they obviously need much more help than
they're currently getting.

You guys must have a good number of people who do nothing more than
full time hand-holding for the programming wizards at Microsoft;
imagine where we could be if DTS wasn't there to patiently explain why
you shouldn't specifically check for the 68881, or for the presence of
a LaserWriter before enabling font scaling.  Now if only you could get
them to listen to you...

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (03/28/90)

In article <1888@esquire.UUCP> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>You guys must have a good number of people who do nothing more than
>full time hand-holding for the programming wizards at Microsoft;
>imagine where we could be if DTS wasn't there to patiently explain why
>you shouldn't specifically check for the 68881, or for the presence of
>a LaserWriter before enabling font scaling.  Now if only you could get
>them to listen to you...

Really.  I find it hard to beleive that the 'wizards' at Microsoft can't
figure out how to conform to the programming guidlines and insist on codeing
like belligerent 3 year olds.

This is my opinion only (though I'm sure it's not only my opinion).
So flame me.
Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com