[comp.sys.mac] EndNote and Reference Update ?

ireland@ac.dal.ca (03/26/90)

Does anybody out there have experience getting Reference Update files into
EndNote?  I'm considering writing a little program to do this (probably in
HyperCard).  Will EndLink do the job?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Keith

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (03/27/90)

In article <1373@ac.dal.ca> ireland@ac.dal.ca writes:
> Does anybody out there have experience getting Reference Update files into
> EndNote?  I'm considering writing a little program to do this (probably in
> HyperCard).  Will EndLink do the job?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

	If Reference Update uses the "standard" Medline database format, I
might have something that can help you.  It's not exactly what you want, but
not too far off.

	I wrote a program in C to run under Unix (called brs2bib) which
takes typescripts of BRS sessions (which are in Medline format) and converts
them to bib format, which EndNote can then import.  It's pretty smart about
skipping stuff it doesn't understand and makes a reasonable guess as to
which of several common variations on the standard format it's looking at.
You can feed it a raw typescript and it will skip past the login/query stuff
at the top and just parse the search results output).

	Anyway, if you want it, you can ftp pub/misc/brs2bib.shar from
goober.phri.nyu.edu.  It's public domain, so have fun and do with it what
you will.  It's really sort of a hack that grew, so sometimes it does, well,
interesting things.  You would be crazy to use the output of brs2bib without
first looking at it to make sure it didn't do anything completely nutso.
Fortunately, it tends to not make small mistakes; either it works, or it's
obvious that something went wrong.  The most common screwup is to mistake an
author's first name spelled out for a bunch of initials, which it then
proceedes to separate with periods, i.e. "ROGER RABBIT" should be turned
into "%A R. Rabbit" but sometimes becomes "%A R. O. G. E. R. Rabbit".
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (03/28/90)

In article <1373@ac.dal.ca> ireland@ac.dal.ca writes:
>Does anybody out there have experience getting Reference Update files into
>EndNote?  I'm considering writing a little program to do this (probably in
>HyperCard).  Will EndLink do the job?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Keith

EndLink will do this fine, because Reference Update puts out standard Medline
tag records.  When I checked, it became clear that we used Ref. Update
output to write EndLink, so it's a little more compatible than NLM.  Only
problem is, I have no idea how to get Reference Update to export a file
with these records, as I don't have a copy.  Anyone who knows how, please
send me mail.

Thanks
	Avi

--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/28/90)

In an article of <25 Mar 90 21:28:56 GMT>, ireland@ac.dal.ca writes:

 iA>Does anybody out there have experience getting Reference Update files
 iA>into
 iA>EndNote?  I'm considering writing a little program to do this (probably
 iA>in
 iA>HyperCard).  Will EndLink do the job?  Any suggestions would be
 iA>appreciated.

The hinge here is the format of the references themselves. Currently EndNote
will only import BibIx/Refer and ProCite (or similar tab-delimited text files)
and is persnickety about the latter. I've not pirchased EndLink because I feel
that such a facility should have been included with EndNote. The manual
blithely describes using "cut and paste" to build up your reference library.
They say that doing this takes only 10 seconds "when you get the hang of it".
They say that's good considering how long it takes setting up a custom format
of your text file to get it to import automatically.

My answer is "balls"! The Refer/BibIx format is not all that different from
MedLars and/or Dialog. (For some reason they think that GratefulMed Mac is some
kind of file format, B-T-W). In other words - they could have built the
facility in. BookEnds has done just that. However, being in HyperCard, BookEnds
has some limitations, one being that it's slow and the other that it's harder
to get the citations into a paper without some extra steps. But it does cull
out duplicates - something that EndNote does not do and which I feel is a MAJOR
shortcoming. Very few of us are hand loading these things. I typically download
over a hundred references per session (in one case -  1500). Duplication is
inevitable especially when using different search strategies. EndNote's major
stength lies in its DA and ease of citation and its ability to format them
automatically within your paper.

My solution is that I load my raw refs into BookEnds, cull out the dupes and
flag the different types of refernces - i.e book, monograph, journal article,
etc. I then use the Format Manager to write out a Refer/BibIx text file flagged
for the various categories in EndNote and then import those files into EndNote.
I maintain both the EndNote and BookEnd files.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org