[comp.sys.mac] Changing name of a Laserwriter NT

cantie@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Bruce Cantie) (03/26/90)

	I know that there is a way (so I have heard) to change the name of
a Laserwriter, but I do not know how.  If anyone knows of a util to do this,
please let me know.  I will post the solution when I get it to work if there
is intrest in it. (I love it when I get someones old equiptment for my
networks!)

Bruce Cantie              Internet:  cantie@cs.Buffalo.EDU
LAN Systems               uucp:      ..!{boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!cantie
301 Computing Center      BITNET:    cantie@sunybcs.BITNET
University Of Buffalo     BITNET:    LSBRUCE@UBVMS.BITNET

scott@unisoft.UUCP (Scott Gustafson) (03/27/90)

cantie@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Bruce Cantie) writes:

>	I know that there is a way (so I have heard) to change the name of
>a Laserwriter, but I do not know how.  If anyone knows of a util to do this,
>please let me know.  I will post the solution when I get it to work if there
>is intrest in it. (I love it when I get someones old equiptment for my
>networks!)

>Bruce Cantie              Internet:  cantie@cs.Buffalo.EDU
>LAN Systems               uucp:      ..!{boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!cantie
>301 Computing Center      BITNET:    cantie@sunybcs.BITNET
>University Of Buffalo     BITNET:    LSBRUCE@UBVMS.BITNET

Try the Namer Utility supplied with the LaserWriter IINT/NTX. The Namer
utility should be able to rename any LaserWriter model from Apple which is on
an Appletalk network.

scott

Scott Gustafson
UniSoft Corp., 10700 N. DeAnza Blvd., Cupertino, CA  95014 (408) 366-4901
{uunet,hoptoad,fai,bdt,sun,lll-lcc,mtxinu,basis,ucbvax,apple}!unisoft!scott

cantie@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Bruce Cantie) (03/27/90)

Thanks to all who sent me answers!!!

It seems that the person who had the printer last never bothered to give
me the disk that came with the printer.  This disk had a program called
'Namer' that took care of the problem!

Thanks to Sunil Bhatla for sending me the BinHexed file.

jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (03/28/90)

In article <19917@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cantie@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Bruce Cantie) writes:

>	I know that there is a way (so I have heard) to change the name of
>a Laserwriter, but I do not know how.

There's a program called Namer, supplied on the disk that comes with the
LaserWriter.  It does exactly what you want.

Jeremy Roussak