[comp.sys.mac] Recommendations/Comments Wante

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (03/17/90)

In a message of 03/12/90, FROM: Jeffrey Chen wrote -

> Could I ask everyone for their reccomendations on the following?
>
> A Hard Disk Backup Utility- I must be able to specify exactly which
> files get backed up. I've seen Redux on a friend's computer but I'm
> annoyed that it incrementally backs up all the System files. Is there
> a backup program available in which you can specify the frequency with
> which a set of files gets backed up? (i.e. Back up the System Folder
> only one a month, backup documents every time the program is run,
> backup applications)

Redux is the best general purpose backup utility around.  It's up to
version 1.62.  It annoys me also that it backs up some System files
incrementally every time, but there's a reason for this, and it's not
Redux's fault.  The System file will almost _always_ be backed up
every time because every time you open the control panel and then
close it, the System file re-stores the cp window's screen position
info.  In essence, then, the System file is being modified every
time you use the control panel.  And, of course, Redux doesn't make
value judgments in situations like that--it leaves that up to you.
There are a few ways around this situation in Redux, the easiest for
your purposes being to write scripts for your various backup needs.
That's right, Redux has its own scripting language.  For more
information, including any info on money-back guarantees, call
Microseeds Publishing at 813/882-8635 (or, of course, check the
MacConnection ads to see if _they_ offer any MBG on Redux.)

You might also want to take a look at Retrospect, from Dantz
Development. It's perhaps a little more heavy-duty than you're looking
for, but maybe it's got exactly the feature(s) you want.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

edwin_l_king@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (03/28/90)

In article <45648.2602A186@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
>In a message of 03/12/90, FROM: Jeffrey Chen wrote -
>
>> A Hard Disk Backup Utility- ...
>> ... I've seen Redux on a friend's computer but I'm annoyed that it
>> incrementally backs up all the System files.
>
>Redux is the best general purpose backup utility around.  It's up to
>version 1.62.  It annoys me also that it backs up some System files
>incrementally every time ...

  If you are just doing floppy backups, you might want to check out a
shareware program called Rapid-Up. It is fast, floppy-only and
includes options for excluding system files, the system folder,
applications files and invisible files (and any combination of the
above) from its backup sets.
  $29 shareware fee. Available on CompuServe, and probably GEnie,
though I'm not sure where else.
  Uses an interesting sharware incentive -- the backup program is free
and fuly documented. You want the restore program? Pay the shareware
fee.