[comp.sys.mac] AppleWorks => mac translator

lee@pogo.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee) (03/27/90)

Howdy,
     A friend of mine (who is not on the net) has recently bought a mac and
would like to transfer several files he has in AppleWorks format for his old
Apple II to the new machine.  The only product I know of that will do the
translation is ][ In A Mac -- does anyone know of any others?
     Thanks in advance!

--
|-                       Peter E. Lee, Staff Assistant                       -|
|   Software Development Lab at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst    |

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (03/28/90)

From article <LEE.90Mar26133731@pogo.cs.umass.edu>, by lee@pogo.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee):
> Howdy,
>      A friend of mine (who is not on the net) has recently bought a mac and
> would like to transfer several files he has in AppleWorks format for his old
> Apple II to the new machine.  The only product I know of that will do the
> translation is ][ In A Mac -- does anyone know of any others?
>      Thanks in advance!

You can use Apple File Exchange to get the file to a Mac disk, then
you can use MacWrite II to open the file.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (03/28/90)

In article <LEE.90Mar26133731@pogo.cs.umass.edu> lee@pogo.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee) writes:
>Howdy,
>     A friend of mine (who is not on the net) has recently bought a mac and
>would like to transfer several files he has in AppleWorks format for his old
>Apple II to the new machine.  The only product I know of that will do the
>translation is ][ In A Mac -- does anyone know of any others?
>     Thanks in advance!

I just ran into the same problem with a friend who just upgraded from
a IIGS to a Mac IICX.  The reason we couldn't just use this solution
was that he uses Appleworks GS (whatever version.)  If you were using
Appleworks (Through version 2.1 I am SURE because I've done it) there
is a file called WORKS to WORKS TRANSLATOR which works with Apple File
Exchange, and converts Appleworks files to MicroSoft Works files
(which can then be read by MS Word on the Mac)

The benefit of this is that nothing else needs to be bought (and the
Works to Works translator is free/shareware - I'm not sure which) and
the Apple File Exchange program comes with the mac.  You can even use
the Mac drive.

OOPS!  I forgot the most important thing...  You need to have a 3.5"
drive for the Apple II involved, unless you modem-transfer the files
to the Mac...  Well, good luck, and e-mail me if you want any specific
info or help...
--

	-=Alan=-
	aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu