[comp.sys.mac] Little Big Drives

Paul Suhler (suhler@ibm.com) (03/24/90)

Seagate and Quantum are making 3-1/2" 200MB SCSI drives.  They list for
$1,007 and $870, respectively.  Maxtor's LXT-340 is 340MB.

Does anyone have any experience putting one of these in a Mac,
expecially a Mac Plus?  Cabling and drivers would be the problem,
assuming that the Mac can supply the power and handle the extra heat.

Paul Suhler
Hybrid Dataflow Systems

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (03/28/90)

Paul Suhler (suhler@ibm.com) writes:

>Seagate and Quantum are making 3-1/2" 200MB SCSI drives.  They list for
>$1,007 and $870, respectively.  Maxtor's LXT-340 is 340MB.

I believe you have confused street and list prices on those drives.

>Does anyone have any experience putting one of these in a Mac,
>expecially a Mac Plus?  Cabling and drivers would be the problem,
>assuming that the Mac can supply the power and handle the extra heat.

And Conner makes the very dynamite CP-3200, when you can find it.

I would recommend against installing ANY internal drive in a Mac Plus.
Why?  Well, General Computer had to change their name to GCC
Technologies over the system-death flap caused by the original, internal
HyperDrive.  The Plus just ain't designed for it, which cannot be said
of the SE or later.

The Plus's power supply is notorious in its instability (talk to
Pre-Owned Electronics about this--they sell an update kit), even among
Mac supplies [students of NetNews who don't regularly 'n' over my
postings {I think there are two of you--hi, Stephan 'n' Dave} will
remember that I don't particularly like ANY of the Mac power supplies
due to their poor construction].

In a word: Don't.

If you need a case, and cannot find one, E-Mail me and I'll give you a
pointer or two.

	Alex