[comp.sys.mac] Re^2: Inside Macintosh: Will we ever see a revised, updated edition?

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (03/28/90)

>You guys [at DTS] must have a good number of people who do nothing more than
>full time hand-holding for the programming wizards at Microsoft;
>imagine where we could be if DTS wasn't there to patiently explain why
>you shouldn't specifically check for the 68881, or for the presence of
>a LaserWriter before enabling font scaling.

Or jumping directly into the ROMs once they "know" what kind of computer
they're on.  Ask Dave Small about programming around MicroSofty code &
doing 7 impossible things in software to make Word work on an Atari
ST....

...On the other hand, if you can find one, the STacy makes a wonderful,
lighter, slimmer, more capable Mac Portable than the real 'un.  Heh.

	Alex

mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar28.094309.717@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:

>...On the other hand, if you can find one, the STacy makes a wonderful,
>lighter, slimmer, more capable Mac Portable than the real 'un.  H>

  Lighter?  Slimmer, more capable, and definitely cheaper, maybe, but
someone quoted 15 lbs in comp.sys.mac.hardware, whereas Apple's is a pound
lighter.
  Worth $4,000 to me. :-)

-- Mark Wilkins
   mwilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu