[comp.sys.mac] No "FOR SALE" Postings Here

delaney@xn (John R. Delaney) (03/27/90)

Please do not post "For Sale" messages to this group (or
comp.sys.mac.hardware or comp.sys.mac.programmer). There are local and
national *.forsale groups expressly for that purpose.

At the very least, please try one of those groups first and post your "For
Sale" messages here only if you cannot get satisfaction there.

This was a public service announcement....

gbc@cahaba.med.unc.edu (Geoff Crooks) (03/27/90)

In article <1763@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> delaney@xn (John R. Delaney) writes:
>Please do not post "For Sale" messages to this group (or
>comp.sys.mac.hardware or comp.sys.mac.programmer). There are local and
>national *.forsale groups expressly for that purpose.

I for one *like* seeing Mac related items listed for sale here.  For one,
our system does not get any of the misc groups (where forsale/wanted are)
and I'm sure many other systems do not get these groups as well.  Second,
if you have looked at misc.forsale recently, to find the one or two mac
related items for sale there, you must wade through a bazillion IBM and
Car and Iguana and House for sale messages.  Lastly, if someone is selling
software/hardware at a real bargain basement price, many people who aren't
necessarily *looking* for said items may in fact decide they are
interested, and would not have seen the posting were it in misc.forsale or
elsewhere.  Personally, when I have an item I want to list for sale, I
list it locally first, then go national.  Although I have not listed an
item for sale in any of the mac groups, I would not hesitate to do so if
I had items for sale which I thought would be of interest to the mac
community... in fact, quite the converse, I've been scanning the mac
groups the past few weeks just *looking* for used internal HD's.  Since
there is talk of reorganizing comp.sys.mac, perhaps we might consider a
comp.sys.mac.forsale group.. this would make everybody happy, as this
would go to those systems which don't subscribe to the misc groups.  Just
a thought...
Geoff.

* Geoff Crooks                "She told me to make myself comfortable    *
* Dept of Psychology           so I pulled down my pants and sat in the  *
* Univ. of No. Carolina        pudding..."  Emo Phillips                 *
* gbc@med.unc.edu                                                        *

erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (03/27/90)

	Or if your are posting a 'For Sale' message at least use a
sensible distribution. I doubt if the offer of second hand software or
hardware from America is of much interest on this side of the Atlantic.
		Tony

--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk

	Yuppies think I'm a wino 'cos I seem to have no class,
	Girls think I'm perverted 'cos I watch them as they pass.

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (David C. Barnhart II) (03/28/90)

In article <7087@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> patten@uhccux.UUCP (Brian Patten) writes:
>In article <1763@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> delaney@xn (John R. Delaney) writes:
>>Please do not post "For Sale" messages to this group (or
>>comp.sys.mac.hardware or comp.sys.mac.programmer). There are local and
>>national *.forsale groups expressly for that purpose.
>>
>>At the very least, please try one of those groups first and post your "For
>>Sale" messages here only if you cannot get satisfaction there.
>>
>>This was a public service announcement....
>

>Who died and made you moderator?
>
> [stuff deleted here . . .]
>
>So, what is the net's opinion?  This guy says he was making a public
>service announcement, but does he in fact represent the public?  Or is
>he just playing net police?
>

>Brian M. Patten
>"My opinion is my own...really!"
>Institute for Astronomy
>University of Hawaii
>patten@hubble.ifa.hawaii.edu

I don't know if Mr. Delaney represents the majority, but he certainly does
not represent my point of view.  Certainly there are problems with the volume
of traffic in comp.sys.mac, but removing the "Mac stuff for sale" messages
will only reduce the traffic slightly, and it has the added problem of forcing
those of us who are looking for "Mac stuff" to read Yet-Another-Newsgroup,
largely full of uninteresting (and mostly non-Mac) for-sale/wanted messages.
It's hard enough keeping up with a group that mostly represents the same
interests I have, let alone one that caters to everyone in the computer market.
Those interested in buying Macs & peripherals would be better off looking in
a Mac group, and those who want to sell should sell to the right audience.
There are many people like me who do not have time to read 3000 different
newsgroups just to find various topics about Macs.

I do agree however, with the recent proposal to split the Mac hierarchy
further, keeping the groups more relevant and while not increasing (by much)
the amount of time necessary to keep up with the various Mac groups.  This
split involves making a Mac for-sale/wanted group as well, I believe.
This is certainly a much better solution than some self-appointed net god
telling everyone to look in misc.x (x being an instance of some arbitrarily
large number of groups) for something just because he thinks it is
inappropriate in the group he's reading.  If there is a PROPER group for
the posting then put it there, but misc.* is not always the proper place,
and, IMHO, misc.forsale is less appropriate than comp.sys.mac.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Office Information Systems
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (03/28/90)

In article <1763@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> delaney@xn (John R. Delaney) writes:
>Please do not post "For Sale" messages to this group (or
>comp.sys.mac.hardware or comp.sys.mac.programmer). There are local and
>national *.forsale groups expressly for that purpose.

Seems like this has been beaten to death here in the past.  Personally,
I have no objection to seeing mac forsale postings here.  If they are
cross-posted to misc.forsale, then it doesn't (shouldn't) waste much
bandwith since the files are linked rather than duplicated.  Anyway,
that's what the "n" key, "j" key and kill files are for :-)

Just a personal opinion...

hemstree@handel.cs.colostate.edu (charles he hemstreet) (03/29/90)

In article 32231 of comp.sys.mac John R. Delaney writes:
>Please do not post "For Sale" messages to this group (or
>comp.sys.mac.hardware or comp.sys.mac.programmer). There are local and
>national *.forsale groups expressly for that purpose.
>
>At the very least, please try one of those groups first and post your "For
>Sale" messages here only if you cannot get satisfaction there.
>
>This was a public service announcement....

I think a public service announcement should represent the public, and
I don't think this one does.  Here at Colorado State, we don't get the
*.forsale groups that Mr. Delaney suggests, at least I haven' seen
them yet.  I'd rather look for mac stuff in comp.sys.mac anyway.  At
least I know mac stuff is all I'll see.

Just wanted to give my two cents.

! Charles H. Hemstreet IV       !internet: hemstree@handel.cs.Colostate.Edu !
! Colorado State University     !                                           !