[comp.sys.mac] Why is Apple pushing CD-ROMs?

lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) (03/27/90)

In article <7409@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@sticks.apple.com (David Berry) writes:

>	I'd still suggest a CD-Rom player...
>	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
>	dwb@apple.com

This leads me to a question which has almost certainly been asked before:

Why is Apple pushing CD-Roms and not Erasable Optical drives?

If I were Apple, I'd be *embarrassed* trying to hawk this limited,
expensive, and dead technology when NeXT sells optical drives that
can do everything CD-Roms do and "a whole lot more."

Sure, after you've spent hundreds of dollars on a CD-Rom, you can have
access to SpInside Mac, AU/X, and maybe another CD with a dictionary and
thesaraus (both are nice).  But then what?  There is *no way* that I or
probably most other (non-developer) Mac users are going to spend the
$600 dollars or whatever it is just to do that.

On the other hand, I definitely *would* consider spending the $2000
that NeXT charges for an erasable optical drive.  Now *there* is
something useful.  Who couldn't use a 300 Meg removable drive?
With that, the availability of software on CDs from Apple and elsewhere
would just be the icing on the cake.

Surely Apple could either contract with Canon or some other optical
manufacturer to sell their own optical drives, or at least bless
an optical standard for the Mac and distribute their CDs on it.

What's the story?

- Trent Lange

*  College Basketball Fever:  Catch it!                              *
*  Yeah, I mixed my slogans.  So what are you going to do about it?  *

mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) (03/27/90)

In article <33521@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) writes:
> In article <7409@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@sticks.apple.com (David Berry) writes:
>
> Why is Apple pushing CD-Roms and not Erasable Optical drives?
>
> If I were Apple, I'd be *embarrassed* trying to hawk this limited,
> expensive, and dead technology when NeXT sells optical drives that
> can do everything CD-Roms do and "a whole lot more."

Erasable-optical disks cannot store 500+ MB per disk without someone
turning the disk over or buying an expensive Juke-box to do it for them.
Erasable-optical disks cannot (as far as I am aware) be pressed in high
volume at a cost of around $2 per disk, but must be individually
recorded ala Magtape and Floppy diskettes at a very high cost.  Why
distribute data which will, for the most part, remain stagnant
and Read-Only on an expensive erasable medium.  Particulary when most data
comes with quarterly or even monthly updates.

I will give you the "a whole lot more" statement. :-)

> Sure, after you've spent hundreds of dollars on a CD-Rom, you can have
> access to SpInside Mac, AU/X, and maybe another CD with a dictionary and
> thesaraus (both are nice).  But then what?  There is *no way* that I or
> probably most other (non-developer) Mac users are going to spend the
> $600 dollars or whatever it is just to do that.

Try looking in the latest Educorp catalog at the pages and pages of
clip-art, clip-sounds, databases, books (The Whole Earth Catalog, The
Guiness Disk of World Record), photography, Med-Line, etc., available
on CD-ROM.  Add to that the vast amount of data distributed by the Census
Bureau, Dept of Agriculture, and others on CD-ROM.  Most applications for
this data exist on MS-DOS compatible PC's, but with the coming of Statistical
Visualization software such as SAS Institutes' JMP, the market is opening
up to the Macintosh environment.

> On the other hand, I definitely *would* consider spending the $2000
> that NeXT charges for an erasable optical drive.  Now *there* is
> something useful.  Who couldn't use a 300 Meg removable drive?
> With that, the availability of software on CDs from Apple and elsewhere
> would just be the icing on the cake.

The current price from Pinnacle Micro for a single Optical Disk System
with controller for the Mac is around $5200 (government and university
price is around $4150.) @quantity 1.  Media is around $250 ($230) per disk.
Media was expected to drop to the $50 price that NeXT is/will asking, but
that has yet to come true.  I suspect that NeXT and/or Canon used the
drive and disk as a loss-leader for that big infusion of capital that gave
Canon sole Asian marketing rights. (This is purely a guess on my part!)
I was told during a Marketing show that Steve Jobs REALLY wanted the drive
for his machine and took a drive before any quasi-standard had emerged.
Hence the Canon drive may be on his machine, but it is not compatible with
the Sony drive/disk or the other major player whose name escapes me at this
time.

> Surely Apple could either contract with Canon or some other optical
> manufacturer to sell their own optical drives, or at least bless
> an optical standard for the Mac and distribute their CDs on it.

They have blessed an optical standard and do distribute their CD's on it.

Theirs.

> - Trent Lange

-- michael

PS: Although it may not sound like it, I really do like the erasible optical
    concept, especially when one drive (such as Pinnacle's) can float from
    Mac to PC to VAX to Sun with only the purchase of an additional controller
    card.  But I believe things have their place, and the Erasable-optical is
    just not suited to the distribution of large amounts of data.

Michael McGuffey, Senior Software Applications Analyst
Phone:    304/696-3212			University Computer Center
FAX:      304/696-3601			Marshall University
BITNET:   mcguffey@muvms3		Huntington, WV 25755-5320
Internet: mcguffey%muvms3@wvnvms.wvnet.edu

mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) (03/28/90)

In article <33521@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> lange@lanai.UUCP (Trent Lange) writes:
| This leads me to a question which has almost certainly been asked before:
|
| Why is Apple pushing CD-Roms and not Erasable Optical drives?
|
| If I were Apple, I'd be *embarrassed* trying to hawk this limited,
| expensive, and dead technology when NeXT sells optical drives that
| can do everything CD-Roms do and "a whole lot more."

The reason is that CD-ROM is a cheap, efficient way to send large amounts of
extremely non-volatile data to just about anybody.  You can buy all the Adobe
fonts on a CD-ROM and then pay to have the ones you need unlocked.  Companies
like Microsoft can package large quantities of software (ie. Microsoft Office)
into a nice little bundle with lots of room for bells and whistles that just
wouldn't get added in a floppy distribution.

Now, I'm sure you're sitting there saying, "Why can't they do that with an
erasable optical disk?"  The key words are found in the second line of the
above paragraph: non-volatile.  Even though the word 'optical' appears in
the name 'erasable optical drive', it's still a magnetic disk.  The 'optical'
part comes in because the drive uses a laser to heat the disk surface, making
it easier to change the data on the disk very accurately, and hence giving
the incredible amounts of information on the disks.  However, it's still
magnetic storage, and thus is subject to random change.

CD-ROM, on the other hand, stores its data via tiny 'pits' burned into the
surface of the disk.  This is extremely non-volatile, and is very similar
to the way WORM drives work.  The big difference is that once a CD-ROM master
is made, it is extremely easy to press out as many copies of it as are needed.
With erasable optical technology, the disks would still have to be copied the
old fashioned way.

| On the other hand, I definitely *would* consider spending the $2000
| that NeXT charges for an erasable optical drive.  Now *there* is
| something useful.  Who couldn't use a 300 Meg removable drive?
| With that, the availability of software on CDs from Apple and elsewhere
| would just be the icing on the cake.

Feel free to buy one.  There are several on the market now, with an average
storage of 650Mb of data per disk.  The problem is, there are also several
formats floating around.  CD-ROM is standardized, making it nicer for mass
distribution.

| Surely Apple could either contract with Canon or some other optical
| manufacturer to sell their own optical drives, or at least bless
| an optical standard for the Mac and distribute their CDs on it.

They already do bless an optical standard: CD-ROM.  And while they could
come out with their own erasable optical drive, I don't think they will.
See each of the three optical storage media has a best use: CD-ROM for mass
distribution, erasable optical drives for daily or weekly data backups, and
WORM drives for long-term archiving of data.  None are anywhere close to the
speed of today's hard drives (which can be purchased in sizes comparable to
those of the optical technologies), so hard drives will remain the standard
for regular use in most computers.

| - Trent Lange
|
| **********************************************************************
| *  College Basketball Fever:  Catch it!                              *
| *  Yeah, I mixed my slogans.  So what are you going to do about it?  *
| **********************************************************************

- Mike
--
|XXX| __/\__ |XXX|--------------------------+-----------------********=========
|XXX| \    / |XXX|  Michael D. Ketchen      |   This space    ********=========
|XXX| /____\ |XXX|  mketch@pawl.rpi.edu     |   for rent...   =================
|XXX|   ][   |XXX|  mketch@rpitsmts.bitnet  +-----------------=================

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (03/28/90)

Dear Trent -
  Perhaps because media for eraseable optical drives in quanity is around
$50.00 a unit, whereas you can press CD-ROMs in quanity for around
$2.50 a unit.
  Do people just have tape decks at home?  Or do they have CD players and
tape decks?  Each unit has its place, and if you want a cheap way to get
a lot of megabytes of information out, then CD-ROM is the way to go.

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (03/28/90)

>In article <33521@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> lange@lanai.UUCP (Trent Lange) writes:
[...]
>| Surely Apple could either contract with Canon or some other optical
>| manufacturer to sell their own optical drives, or at least bless
>| an optical standard for the Mac and distribute their CDs on it.
>
>They already do bless an optical standard: CD-ROM.  And while they could
>come out with their own erasable optical drive, I don't think they will.

I agree with most of what you said Mike, but have to disagree here.  It's quite
probable that Apple will come out with an optical disk (or some other large
capacity read/write medium).  The new Canon OD drives under development are
rumored to be 20 ms access time.  That sounds improbable, but in all likelihood
they'll be quite fast.  One of the reasons that Next can offer the OD
technology so cheaply is that some of the controlling hardware is built in to
the Next.  I'd look for Apple to do something similar with OD or some other
technology in the next coupla years.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (03/28/90)

I think that Apple is pushing CD-ROM as a distribution technology.  The cost
of production is under $2/CD (including materials) for CD-ROM vs a wholesale
cost in excess of $50/disk for EO, before duplication.  Since Apple, like
most American companies, lists everything for about 5x cost since that means
that things like MPW and A/UX only include a $10 cost component for that
piece rather than $250.  This seems to be borne out in the latest APDALog,
where the MPW C + Object Pascal Update Bundle is $50 on CD and $100 on floppies.
This would imply a cost of about $225 on EO.

I agree with the assessment that EO is a better storage technology
than CD; however, I think that CD is a better (read, more affordable)
distribution technology.  Now, what I would really like is to get an EO drive
that could READ CD-ROMs (treating them like locked volumes).  That would be
the best of both worlds.

--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (03/29/90)

In article <0LF#BW_@rpi.edu> mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) writes:
>In article <33521@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> lange@lanai.UUCP (Trent Lange) writes:
>| Why is Apple pushing CD-Roms and not Erasable Optical drives?
>|
>| If I were Apple, I'd be *embarrassed* trying to hawk this limited,
>| expensive, and dead technology when NeXT sells optical drives that
>| can do everything CD-Roms do and "a whole lot more."
>
>The reason is that CD-ROM is a cheap, efficient way to send large amounts of
>extremely non-volatile data to just about anybody.  You can buy all the Adobe
>fonts on a CD-ROM and then pay to have the ones you need unlocked.  Companies
>like Microsoft can package large quantities of software (ie. Microsoft Office)
>into a nice little bundle with lots of room for bells and whistles that just
>wouldn't get added in a floppy distribution.

There is another important issue here - manufacturing capacity. There is a
whole other industry out there building CDs - this drives the media cost
through the floor. There are big factories set up to take a digital tape
or disk and press them out by the thousands. And it's cheap - did you know
that they already make CDs for less than vinal - the record companies are
making a mint since they can get away with charging you more (think about
it - they have a legal monopoly - no one else can come out and release
a competing copy of the Stones at a lower price - I think Nader could win
lots of friends with a price fixing suit here :-).

You can spin CDs for under $2.50 each (plus mastering costs - in the $1000
range) for quantities around 100 units - the only catch is that not every
machine has a CD drive in it - so you can't depend on it. Think about all
the really LARGE applications that are not practical with 50 floppies
you can just bet that 1 of them is a dud ....

	Paul
--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
"The current plan is to replace the flag with one with alternating vertical