[comp.sys.mac] trading a IIx for a IIfx

duc@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Duc Tran) (03/28/90)

The local Computer Age store in my area (Washington DC) offers
a deal for people to trading their Mac II for the new MacIIfx.
I inquired, and for my MacIIx w 4MB RAM, 80MB hd they allow the
trade for an additional $5,000. I would keep the same disk, color
monitor, adaptor, floppy drive. They just swap the main box.

From what I know the IIfx costs about $10K.
What do you think? I understand that at this moment Apple has not
announced an upgrade from IIx to IIfx yet. Should I wait for a
better deal from Apple?

Duc Tran
duc@dev.dtic.dla.mil

rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) (03/28/90)

In article <3623@dev.dtic.dla.mil> duc@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Duc Tran) writes:
>The local Computer Age store in my area (Washington DC) offers
>a deal for people to trading their Mac II for the new MacIIfx.
>I inquired, and for my MacIIx w 4MB RAM, 80MB hd they allow the
>trade for an additional $5,000. I would keep the same disk, color
>monitor, adaptor, floppy drive. They just swap the main box.

This doesn't sound like a particularily good deal.  I read somewhere
(maybe in MacWeek?) that to upgrade a Mac II/IIx to a IIfx would
cost $3000 plus another $1000 for 4Mb of memory.  Granted, you don't
get a new case and power supply, but even with Apple's somewhat high
prices, $1000 seems an awful lot to pay for them.		:-)

Ray Fischer
rcfische@polyslo.calpoly.edu

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (03/28/90)

Dear Duc -
  Apple has announced an upgrade for the Macintosh II (and IIx) to the
Macintosh IIfx.  It is priced at $2,900 and it involves purchasing a
logic board.  Since the Macintosh IIfx uses a different SIMM design for
RAM you will also need to purchase more memory (currently unavailable
from Apple, but I hear 3rd parties are working on it).  For a grand
total of around $4,000 you should be able to get a 4MB system up and
running (using Apple SRP).  Therefore, the ComputerLand deals sounds
like a bad deal to me.

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET

coolidge@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (03/28/90)

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) writes:
>Since the Macintosh IIfx uses a different SIMM design for
>RAM you will also need to purchase more memory (currently unavailable
                                                           ^^
>from Apple, but I hear 3rd parties are working on it).

I think this is a typo. Either that, or there's a serious problem
here! :-) The press releases I've read say that the new SIMMs are
_available_ only from Apple right now, but that third parties are
expected to be announcing them Real Soon Now.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

news@calgary.UUCP (Network News Manager) (03/28/90)

From: sharp@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp)

In article <3623@dev.dtic.dla.mil> duc@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Duc Tran) writes:
>The local Computer Age store in my area (Washington DC) offers
>a deal for people to trading their Mac II for the new MacIIfx.
>I inquired, and for my MacIIx w 4MB RAM, 80MB hd they allow the
>trade for an additional $5,000. I would keep the same disk, color
>monitor, adaptor, floppy drive. They just swap the main box.
>
>From what I know the IIfx costs about $10K.
>What do you think? I understand that at this moment Apple has not
>announced an upgrade from IIx to IIfx yet. Should I wait for a
>better deal from Apple?

According to my handy dandy University price list, the cost for a
MacIIfx logic board upgrade is ... CAD$2884 University price.  This
does not include RAM, but then what does.  Your only problem is if the
IIfx requires faster RAM.  I do not know the answer, but suspect that
is the case (probably 70 or 80ns RAM).

Either way, you are being jipped my son.  Order the logic board, and
if you need faster RAM, sell what you have and buy the new stuff.

	maurice

Maurice Sharp MSc. Student
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@ksi.cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      ...!alberta!calgary!sharp

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (03/29/90)

Dear John -
  You are right.  That is a typo, I meant to say "currently only available
from Apple..."