[comp.sys.mac] last back-up ???

steelem@boulder.Colorado.EDU (STEELE MARK ALLEN) (03/24/90)

I made a hard disk back up with Redux 1.61, then later using SUM I looked
at the disk information for same hard disk (internal apple 20meg) and the
field 'last back up date' was showing something bogus like 1/1/04 or some-
thing like that. Did I do something wrong, or is this field meaningless??

	-Mark Steele

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (03/29/90)

In article <18782@boulder.Colorado.EDU> steelem@boulder.Colorado.EDU (STEELE MARK ALLEN) writes:
>I made a hard disk back up with Redux 1.61, then later using SUM I looked
>at the disk information for same hard disk (internal apple 20meg) and the
>field 'last back up date' was showing something bogus like 1/1/04 or some-
>thing like that. Did I do something wrong, or is this field meaningless??

 You didn't do anything wrong. The last backup date is SUPPOSED to be
updated by your backup program. Unfortunately, most of them don't do it.
DiskFit is the only backup software I know of that DOES fill in the last
backup date correctly (I assume Retrospect probably does too, since it
was developed by the same company). This field isn't meaningless; it's just
not consistently supported. When your hard disk (any volume, actually) is
first initialized, the last backup date field contains a zero. Since
Macintosh time starts on January 1, 1904 (for some obscure reason), the
zero in this field translates to "the beginning of time": 1/1/04. Other
programs (MacEnvy, for example) will tell you that the volume was "Never
backed up" when they see that the backup field contains zero.

-ken
                                              "Don't have a cow, man."
                                                        -- Bart Simpson

--
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud