[comp.sys.mac] SolII Posting

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (03/28/90)

Hello again, people.  Solarian II version 1.02 is now correctly posted at
sumex-aim (correctly as in the correct version, not a screwed-up version).
It is in the pub directory, and will be removed by the moderators very
soon for that unpardonable offense, so if you want it you better ftp it
fast.  Please repost elsewhere, and please write and tell me where you've
posted it so I can refer people to somewhere they can get it.  Thanks.
-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)

P.S. What is the *correct* way to post to sumex-aim?  I get the impression
thay want me to mail to them, but what is the format they want, and what
is the address?  And why can't they just leave it in pub, instead of
religiously deleting it whenever they see it there?

werner@milano.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (03/29/90)

In <1990Mar28.082335.5673@agate.berkeley.edu> deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu () writes:

> Hello again, people.  Solarian II version 1.02 is now correctly posted at
> sumex-aim (correctly as in the correct version, not a screwed-up version).
> It is in the pub directory, and will be removed by the moderators very
> soon for that unpardonable offense, so if you want it you better ftp it
> fast.  Please repost elsewhere, and please write and tell me where you've
> posted it so I can refer people to somewhere they can get it.  Thanks.
> -Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)
>
> P.S. What is the *correct* way to post to sumex-aim?  I get the impression
> thay want me to mail to them, but what is the format they want, and what
> is the address?  And why can't they just leave it in pub, instead of
> religiously deleting it whenever they see it there?

	they didn't tell you?  you can't figure it out???

        where is your machine and disk space that is available for
        all the world to use?  You wrote to me complaining that
        on my machine (RASCAL) there was no writable directory,
        proving to me that you were looking around for a place to
        copy your files to without even bothering to ask first.
	apparently you did the same at SUMEX, and committed the "unpardonable
	offense" of "taking without asking" ....

        that is simply not the way things are done, and I can only
        but wonder what gives you the idea in the first place...
	(I don't recall how many years it has been since I encountered
	 the last such case - yes, there have been a few others ..)

        (and what I like even less in all of this, after I sent you
        email to explain to you that, normally, the proper procedure
        was to send me email addressed to macgifts@rascal.ics.utexas.edu,
        but that, unfortunately, at this time I have very limited disk-space
        and have no space available for games ... imagine my surprise when
        I receive 500k+ of your game as email - not sent by you but by
        someone else, but the coincidence is somewhat overwhelming.

        you asked me:

Hello, I'd like to post version 1.02 of Solarian to rascal.ics.utexas.edu,
but I can't figure out where to put it.  All the directories (including
mac/INQUEUE, the logical place) are read-only to me.  What gives?

        to which I reply:  "yes, what gives?  are you dense?  are you
        TRYING to understand?  Are you still with me?  Are you listening?
        Are you trying to piss off all the archive maintainers on the net?"

                                        ---Werner

--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    		werner@cs.utexas.edu

bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob Debula) (03/29/90)

In article <41877@milano.sw.mcc.com>, werner@milano.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig)
responds in a kindly & enlightened manner to Ben Haller's query:

> > P.S. What is the *correct* way to post to sumex-aim?  I get the impression
> > thay want me to mail to them, but what is the format they want, and what
> > is the address?  And why can't they just leave it in pub, instead of
> > religiously deleting it whenever they see it there?

With (no I didn't make this up, go back a few postings & read it
for yourself):

> 	they didn't tell you?  you can't figure it out???
>
>         where is your machine and disk space that is available for
>         all the world to use?  You wrote to me complaining that
>         on my machine (RASCAL) there was no writable directory,
>         proving to me that you were looking around for a place to
>         copy your files to without even bothering to ask first.
> 	apparently you did the same at SUMEX, and committed the "unpardonable
> 	offense" of "taking without asking" ....

Ben writes a query which doubtless can be attributed to the influence of
the net.daemons and all their evil ilk >:{

Werner writes additional encouragement & character building advice:

>         to which I reply:  "yes, what gives?  are you dense?  are you
>         TRYING to understand?  Are you still with me?  Are you listening?
>         Are you trying to piss off all the archive maintainers on the net?"

WHOAAAA there big guy!  Maybe not everyone out there is a net.guru (the
stuff that I've seen from Ben Haller indicates that he's new to
anonymous FTP).  Alright, maybe he didn't understand the rules, but
some sites (obviously ***NOT*** ***NOT*** ***NOT*** yours)
do allow deposits via anonymous FTP in directories such as "incoming" or
"contrib".  I for one think Solarian is an absolutely wonderful game,
and certainly don't want to see this guy discouraged from posting it on
the net just because he didn't get the "salad fork on the left" according
to "Dr. Network Manners Rules of Rigidly Observed Protocol (Beware
to all ye unbelievers)" in his first attempt to post an upgrade to a
fantastic game out where folks could conveniently obtain it.

If you've ever played this game, you'd realize that the guy is an
outstanding programmer.  This game is definitely commercial quality and
well worth the Shareware fee I intend to send him (right after my next
paycheck Ben, honest...).

Now he knows better (and knowing is half the battle...), but we as
netters don't have to be so rude to newcomers as a rule when they make
their first heinous "boo-boo".  They don't *really* deserve to get
toasted by the first network.god who had too much caffeine or didn't
get the last jelly donut.  Of course you have the right to refuse him,
but treating him like "new.user.rock.crawled.out.from" is hardly cricket.
Any flames back my way can be sent to /dev/null or any convenient
(supply your definition of a useless computer here).  I realize that
last bit requires audience participation and I'm going to be *TRULY*
sorry if it violates any "net.rigid.rules" as specified by the
"Marquis of Netsbury". Sorry about the extensive flamage content in
this posting, but you see I'm on my tenth cup of coffee & the ^&%^&$%
brain.dead.dog just worfed down the last of the blessed jelly donuts (may
the name of "Dunkin" be praised most high for ever & always, amen).

Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's
Davros sez:   When my Daleks compute they use X-TER-MI-NALS!