[comp.sys.mac] Apple warranty voided by do-it-yourself memory upgrade ?!

kk@mcnc.org (Krzysztof Kozminski) (03/28/90)

Apparently, Apple warranty is voided if a memory upgrade is not done by
Apple-authorised service joint.  I came upon this gem of extortion
yesterday in the manual for IIcx (actually, my wife did, I don't need
to read no stinkin' manuals ...)

Does anybody know if this clause still holds or was it scrapped
together with the 90-day warranty period?

Why would Apple want such a clause anyway? It is clearly not
enforceable - anybody who can plug in a couple of memory boards can
just as well take them out if some serious problem requires warranty
service ...

KK
--
Kris Kozminski   kk@mcnc.org
"The party was a masquerade; the guests were all wearing their faces."

grobbins@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Grobbins) (03/29/90)

In article <1859@speedy.mcnc.org> kk@mcnc.org.UUCP (Krzysztof Kozminski) writes:
>Apparently, Apple warranty is voided if a memory upgrade is not done by
>Apple-authorised service joint.  I came upon this gem of extortion
>yesterday in the manual for IIcx (actually, my wife did, I don't need
>to read no stinkin' manuals ...)

Here's one posting by an insider to the contrary:

   From: mike@Apple.COM (Michael Lee)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
   Subject: Re: Does adding 3rd party memory void mac warranty?
   Date: 11 Mar 90 03:20:00 GMT
   Installing 3rd party memory will not void the Apple warranty.  However, it is
   advised that you have an authorized Apple service center install the simms.
   It is real easy to snap the simm holders or accidentally zap the logic board
   by way of electrostatic discharge.  If the simm holders break, the warranty
   is automatically voided because of abuse, and the logic board wil have to be
   replaced at cost.
   Michael Lee
   Technical Customer Relations

Grobbins       grobbins@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

RBAUER@oregon.uoregon.edu (Robert Bauer) (03/29/90)

>>Apparently, Apple warranty is voided if a memory upgrade is not done by
>>Apple-authorised service joint.  I came upon this gem of extortion
>>yesterday in the manual for IIcx (actually, my wife did, I don't need
>>to read no stinkin' manuals ...)
>
> Here's one posting by an insider to the contrary:
>
>    From: mike@Apple.COM (Michael Lee)
>    Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
>    Subject: Re: Does adding 3rd party memory void mac warranty?
>    Date: 11 Mar 90 03:20:00 GMT
>    Installing 3rd party memory will not void the Apple warranty.  However, it is
>    advised that you have an authorized Apple service center install the simms.
>    It is real easy to snap the simm holders or accidentally zap the logic board
>    by way of electrostatic discharge.  If the simm holders break, the warranty
>    is automatically voided because of abuse, and the logic board wil have to be
>    replaced at cost.
>    Michael Lee
>    Technical Customer Relations
>  > Grobbins       grobbins@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Just a comment that I've seen motherboards repaired by Soft Solutions that
have had the SIMM sockets replaced that could not be identified as having
been worked on.  They've spent a lot of $ on desoldering/soldering
equipment and top-quality technicians to get to this point, and there are
several Apple dealers who send work to them "unofficially" in order to
maintain higher margins while still getting back a board that is acceptable
to their relatively picky standards.  They can be reached at 503 461 1136 if
you have any questions about this particular repair or other services and parts
they have.

DISCLAIMER:  I do some work for them from time to time but get paid the
same whether you buy anything from them or not...

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (03/29/90)

In article <18219@oregon.uoregon.edu> RBAUER@oregon.uoregon.edu (Robert Bauer) writes:

> [...] They've spent a lot of $ on desoldering/soldering
>equipment and top-quality technicians to get to this point [...]

Ouch!!!!!  I'm sure glad I don't work for this company!  This has got to be a
violation of some OSHA guideline or other!  :-)

    Robert