[comp.sys.mac] StuffIt

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (09/29/87)

The recent post I made of Stuffit is bad, sorry.  I'm working on a clean copy
to send.

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design
University of Utah

aronson@nlm-mcs.arpa (Jules P. Aronson) (12/02/87)

I recently copied version 1.2 of stuffit from SUMEX.  However the file is in
stuffit format (type SIT).  Since I do not have any version of stuffit I
cannot unpack that file.  Can someone tell me of an archive on the internet
(arpa, milnet, etc) which contains a version of stuffit in packit format or
unpacked format?.

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (12/11/87)

Sorry to clutter up the net, but our feed lost a character (evidently)
of the Stuffit 1.2 docs.  The line that got garbled (one character missing)
was:
I,3e8$hB8IAaLG6EfX! d!!!"J!!#3!!"!#3"30d[#!!&J`!)J#3!`i!N!-$G,3
Could some kind soul please send me the replacement line?
AdvTHANKSance!
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

bytebug@felix.UUCP (Roger L. Long) (12/15/87)

In article <3038@ihlpf.ATT.COM> straka@ihlpf.UUCP (55223-Straka,R.J.) writes:
>Sorry to clutter up the net, but our feed lost a character (evidently)
>of the Stuffit 1.2 docs.  The line that got garbled (one character missing)
>was:
>I,3e8$hB8IAaLG6EfX! d!!!"J!!#3!!"!#3"30d[#!!&J`!)J#3!`i!N!-$G,3
>Could some kind soul please send me the replacement line?
>AdvTHANKSance!

Well, line 202 seems to be the one that got garbled:

   201	!"J!!#3!!"!!jm*p2p6p8pjiI#BIfFf,h9"mbmlm*m*m*m[mU$cd2*dp-EhAbF2,
   202	I,3e8$hB8IAaLG6$bVbr`d!!!"J!!#3!!"!#3"30d[#!!&J`!)J#3!`i!N!-$G,3
   203	S!!%`!%T$!I$3!!B!!!N!!!3!2I#IG6KrCc'3!+8rCr#@626"2fFVmlm*m*m[mU#
--
	Roger L. Long
	FileNet Corp

pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) (04/21/88)

Speaking of StuffIt, the time seems right for a new version which includes
a public key encription scheme and a utility to generate keys.  I could then
generate a pair of keys, use StuffIt to compress, encript; then binhex it
and upload it, listing the decoding key in the message header.

With this method, anyone can decript what I upload, but no one can modify
my posting and upload it again. (because they can't reencript the message.)
This is what is sometimes known as a digital signature.  This would provide
some relief against nasty people who like to put viruses in uploaded
programs.  (Not perfect protection, but still pretty good, don't you think?)

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{ihnp4, cbatt}!codas!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK

PS while you're at it, how 'bout saving sudirectory info when I save a
   folder?

sarrel@lyre.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (04/21/88)

In article <989@usfvax2.EDU> pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu.UUCP (Wayne Pollock) writes:
>Speaking of StuffIt...
>
>PS while you're at it, how 'bout saving sudirectory info when I save a
>   folder?

Here Here!!

I love StuffIt.  It's a wonderful program.  However, I feel that its
inability to save subdirectory information is its greatest shortcoming
(least longcoming??).

Does the author (sorry, I forget his name) read this group??

-=-
Marc Sarrel			The Ohio State University
611 Harely Dr #1		Department of Computer and Information Science
Columbus, OH  43202-1835	sarrel@cis.ohio-state.edu
In San Francisco, you can bay at the moon or moon at the Bay, but it doesn't    make much difference which.                                                     Disclaimer:  Hey, what do I know?  I'm only a grad student.

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (04/22/88)

How can you forget the author's name?! It's plastered all over the program! :-)

Seriously, though, I'd like to second that vote for saving subdirectory
info. I realize that technically, it's complicated, but it is worth doing.

StuffIt is great. Besides, it's written in LightspeedC, so how bad can it be?!

;-)

Rich

jhc@ist.CO.UK (News reading a/c for jhc) (05/18/88)

Could anybody enlighten me on what "StuffIt" does?

Further more, how can I get a copy of it?

) (05/23/88)

Not too long ago, someone posted asking about Stuffit:  what it was, and
where to get it.

Well, Stuffit is a *very* nice file compression/archiving utility.  It is
virtually the standard for both bulletin board files and files sent over
the USENET.  It is a shareware utility, but is free for
dearchiving/decompressing only.  The author is Ray Lau.

You should be able to get it from almost any mac bbs.  The current version,
I believe, is 1.40A.

If all else fails, I could send you a BINHEX'ed copy.  You do have BINHEX?

Rich

jmv@sppy00.UUCP (Jim Vickroy) (04/11/89)

Is the latest version of StuffIt available over UseNet? If Mr. Lau is out
there, what is the latest version and would you be willing to distribute
it over the net?

Thanks in advance.....

jim
:::: ::: ::  ::   :    :   Jim Vickroy
:::: ::: ::  ::   :    :   Dublin, Ohio
UUCP:    {att|pyramid|killer}!osu-cis!sppy00!jmv
domain:	 jmv@sppy00.uucp
USSNAIL: 6565 Frantz Rd., Dublin, Ohio 43017-0702
"Hey, wow man ... pooby shooby"                                            -cm

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (04/12/89)

In article <274@sppy00.UUCP> jmv@sppy00.UUCP (Jim Vickroy) writes:
>Is the latest version of StuffIt available over UseNet? If Mr. Lau is out
>there, what is the latest version and would you be willing to distribute
>it over the net?

This has been mentioned before, but it's important that everyone see
it.  A version of StuffIt marked 2.0 has been uploaded to some BBSs and
public on-line services.  This is NOT a valid copy of StuffIt.  It may
be a trojan horse or other form of nasty.  The latest version of StuffIt,
which is available by ftp from nearly everywhere, and can be found on most
any BBS, is StuffIt 1.5.1.  DO NOT DISTRIBUTE any other version at this
time.  Ray Lau will release his new version directly when it is ready.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

jtd@wdl1.UUCP (Jeffrey T DeMello) (04/12/89)

I second the motion...please post StuffIt onto (into?) the ".bin" area!

-jeff-

jagdeep@hpindda.HP.COM (Jagdeep Singh) (08/25/89)

Can anybody tell me how to use the program StuffIt.  I want to convert some
public domain software from ASCII files into Mac files.  I got the files into
".sit" type files but cannot figure out how to convert those files into usable
mac applications.  Any instructions and hints would be most welcomed.
Thanks!

hoffman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (08/28/89)

Let's see, it's been a while but I think you do something like this:

	1) Select the downloaded .sit file from some open option from the FILE
		menu.
	2) You can then select the button off the bottom of the window that
		un-stuffs.
It's pretty straight forward, but I might be using a more recient
version (1.5.1)

Steve
	|    Steve M. Hoffman    |    email: hoffman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu     |
	| University of Illinois | internet: hoffman%ux1@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu |
	|    Champaign/Urbana    |     uucp: uunet!uiucuxc!ux1!hoffman    |
	|________________________|   usmail: 515 Bach Ct. #24             |
	| I haven't a clue what  |           Champaign, IL 61820          |
	|     I'm doing here     |           (217)/359-7448               |
        |________________________|________________________________________|

hallett@shoreland.uucp (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) (08/28/89)

In article <40260016@hpindda.HP.COM> jagdeep@hpindda.HP.COM (Jagdeep Singh) writes:
>Can anybody tell me how to use the program StuffIt.  I want to convert some
>public domain software from ASCII files into Mac files.  I got the files into
>".sit" type files but cannot figure out how to convert those files into usable
>mac applications.  Any instructions and hints would be most welcomed.
>Thanks!

Oh, my goodness.  Well, I'll post this under the good faith that
Jagdeep read the Stuffit manual that accompanies the program (or
perhaps didn't get one if he got it from a friend) and messed around
with the program and just couldn't figure out what a button labelled
"Extract" would do.

Well, you double-click on the .sit file to open Stuffit with that file
open.  When you are presented with the list of Mac files in the
Stuffit archive (Stuffit is an archive program), you select the files
you want by clicking on them (you can extend your selections using the
standard Macintosh selection techniques or choose "Select All" from
the Edit menu) and then pushing the "Extract" button at the bottom of
the screen.  This will give you a dialog box asking you where to put
the extracted files.  If you want all the files put in the same place,
you select the place and click "Save All" button.  Otherwise, you can
click "Save" for each file individually, changing the destination for
each one.

--
                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (08/28/89)

In article <18000009@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> hoffman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

#>Let's see, it's been a while but I think you do something like this:
#>
#>	1) Select the downloaded .sit file from some open option from the FILE
#>		menu.
#>	2) You can then select the button off the bottom of the window that
#>		un-stuffs.
#>It's pretty straight forward, but I might be using a more recient
#>version (1.5.1)
#>
#>Steve

#>	|    Steve M. Hoffman    |    email: hoffman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu     |

Actually, you can double click on a StuffIt archive to open it
and StuffIt. But what you didn't mention is that the button
on the bottom of the window which creates an unstuffed file
is called "Extract."

Steve Goldfield

sellers@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Todd Sellers) (08/29/89)

In article <931@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@shoreland.UUCP (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) writes:
>In article <40260016@hpindda.HP.COM> jagdeep@hpindda.HP.COM (Jagdeep Singh) writes:

[Stuff about using StuffIt deleted]

If you hold down the shift key while double clicking on the archive that you
want to unstuff, StuffIt will automatically extract and save the files.  It is
really that easy.

DTS

jeremyr@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (10/02/89)

Does anyone know how to go about registering a copy of StuffIt
1.5.1?  I'd heard that Ray Lau had sold the program: does one
still register it with him?

Thanks

Jeremy Roussak

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/06/89)

In article <1245@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> jeremyr@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) writes:

>Does anyone know how to go about registering a copy of StuffIt
>1.5.1?  I'd heard that Ray Lau had sold the program: does one
>still register it with him?

	You may continue to register Stuffit with Ray directly, or you may
also send the $$ to his publisher, Aladdin Software at the address below.
Either way you should end up getting added to the registered users list.

Aladdin Systems, Inc.
306 E. 91st St.
Suite 4C
New York, NY  10128
212-410-9847

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

c9a-ai@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU (Class Account) (03/22/90)

Okay, so I finally got StuffIt..  Now the only problem is trying
to figure out how to use it since it doesn't come with any doc.
I've downloaded some .sit files from a local BBS. The file
appears on the desktop as a plain old document.  I tried to
decode it by selecting the decode BinHex (or something like that)
from the "Other" menu... it seems to work at the beginning but
it always stops with an error saying that an unexpected EOF
appeared.  It happened to all the files I've downloaded.  What's
wrong?  Am I using the wrong command?  I tried the other commands
but they don't recognize any of the files.  BTW, I'm using
StuffIt 1.5.1.  Or do I need BinHex?  All the files have .sit as
their suffix.

Yan Or
c9a-ai@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU
c60b-dr@buddy.Berkeley.EDU

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (03/23/90)

c9a-ai@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU (Class Account) writes:

>Okay, so I finally got StuffIt..  Now the only problem is trying
>to figure out how to use it since it doesn't come with any doc.

the files that end with .sit need to be un stuffed with "open
archive" in the file menu.  Files that are binhex end with
a .hqx.

duqu@tank.uchicago.edu (walter bismarck duque de estrada) (03/29/90)

	Open the .hqx file with your favorite word processor.  Notice if at the beginning there is some legible text; eliminate anything that is legible (look   at the end of the file too) Save the file back as text only.  Then tr using decode binhex on it.  If the file is sit you should be opening the Stuffit file from the file menu. If it is a .pit file then use the Unpack file option.  Hopefully this is helpful.