[comp.sys.mac] Is there an editor which ends lines with linefeeds?

korfhage@polyof.poly.edu (A1 willard korfhage (cs) ) (03/25/90)

A carriage return is the standard line terminator on a mac, but in unix land
the natives want linefeeds to terminate lines. I would like to use a mac
editor to work with files on our sun (via CAP), but I don't want to have to
fuss with constantly running the files through my mac2unix converter program.
Is there an editor that can put linefeeds, and not carriage returns, at the end
of text files?

Thanks

	Willard Korfhage

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar24.173707.24959@polyof.poly.edu>, korfhage@polyof (A1 willard korfhage (cs) ) writes:
>A carriage return is the standard line terminator on a mac, but in
>unix land the natives want linefeeds to terminate lines. I would like
>to use a mac editor to work with files on our sun (via CAP), but I
>don't want to have to fuss with constantly running the files through
>my mac2unix converter program.  Is there an editor that can put
>linefeeds, and not carriage returns, at the end of text files?

Try the shareware DA "McSink", or its commercial big brother
"Vantage".  Both are excellent for composing text that must be
transferred to systems that require wrapping at a particular column.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (03/28/90)

If you want linefeeds after each line, do 'Save As...' in MS Word (any
version over 3.0) and choose 'Text with Line Feeds'...

--

	-=Alan=-
	aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu

edwin_l_king@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (03/29/90)

>A carriage return is the standard line terminator on a mac, but in unix land
>the natives want linefeeds to terminate lines. I would like to use a mac
>editor to work with files on our sun (via CAP), but I don't want to have to
>fuss with constantly running the files through my mac2unix converter program.
>Is there an editor that can put linefeeds, and not carriage returns, at the end
>of text files?
>	Willard Korfhage

  The shareware DA McSink (avalable commerically as Vantage) does
this. I never could figure out what McSink was for until I started to
have to communicate regularly with Unix machines. It wraps paragraphs
in much the same way the emacs does. In fact it does not do the
sandard screenwrapping that most mac editors/wp's do. Stuff I create
or edit in McSink needs no changes to go to a unix machine. It
includes the ability to do conversions mac2unix and unix2mac by adding
  This recommendation with the additional info that the terminal
program I use is ZTerm (excellent shareware product, I recommend it)
and I use sz/rz (zmodem) protocal for up/downloads to sun workstations
(I have found some protocols that DO change the line-endings -- when I
used to use the old version of xmodem on the Sun I had to convert
<cr>s to <lf>s, but when I used Kermit I did not. With the combination
of McSink and zmodem, no changes are necessary.

elk