[comp.sys.mac] Torx tool

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff White) (03/22/90)

In article <9469@shlump.nac.dec.com> mason@habs11.enet.dec.com (Gary Mason) writes:
>>The Chip Merchant	800/426-6375		+++
>>
>>+++ The Chip Merchant said that they had no SIMMs in stock, the last
>>quoted price was $66/SIMM, but they probably wouldn't have any in
>>stock until Wednesday or Thursday.
>
>I pointed a friend at CM last week - he got them at $66 in two days.
>
>I paniced when I saw them at CM for $69 in MacWeek Monday.  I ordered them at
>$66 yesterday, and expect them tomorrow.

   I mailed off my order on Monday for 2 Megs at the $66 price.  I hold I'll
get them by Friday.
  In relation to them, does anyone know a good place to get a Torx tool needed
to open up the Mac?  A regular Torx screwdriver is too short, and a Torx
socket that Sears sells is too fat to fit in the handle.

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

jhlieske@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jay Henry Lieske) (03/29/90)

In article <22016@netnews.upenn.edu> jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
>                       does anyone know a good place to get a Torx tool needed
>to open up the Mac?  A regular Torx screwdriver is too short, and a Torx
>socket that Sears sells is too fat to fit in the handle.

I found the right one at Kmart, a set of 3--the needed T-15, and useless
T-10 and T-20--for $6.

--
Jay Lieske			|	Dept. of Geology, Princeton Univ.
jhlieske@phoenix.princeton.edu	|	Princeton, NJ 08544

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (03/29/90)

>In article <22016@netnews.upenn.edu> jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
>>                       does anyone know a good place to get a Torx tool needed
>>to open up the Mac?  A regular Torx screwdriver is too short, and a Torx
>>socket that Sears sells is too fat to fit in the handle.

An Allen wrench of the correct size and length will also work.  They seem to
be more readily available than Torxes.

Works for me, anyway...

 /'')  /'~  /   | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Wish I didn't know now
/''\  /,,  /,,  | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long |  what I didn't know
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com |  then. -- Bob Seger

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (03/30/90)

jhlieske@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jay Henry Lieske) writes:

>In article <22016@netnews.upenn.edu> jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
>>                       does anyone know a good place to get a Torx tool needed
>I found the right one at Kmart, a set of 3--the needed T-15, and useless

Is the Kmart one long enough for the screws in the handle area?  It needs
to be about 6 inches long.  What department, auto or tools?