[comp.sys.mac] What's newest version of HierDA? Is it 0.9984?

sclindhu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Charles Lindhurst) (03/27/90)

The version of HierDA (a.k.a. DA menuz) in the info-mac archives is
0.9984, but the docs call it an "experimental" release and say that a
version 1.1 should have been released last July and not to use 0.9984
after July 31, 1989.  So was the newer version released?
If so, can someone who has it please send me a copy or post it
to the archives?

Scott Lindhurst
sclindhu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (03/28/90)

sclindhu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Charles Lindhurst) writes:

>The version of HierDA (a.k.a. DA menuz) in the info-mac archives is
>0.9984, but the docs call it an "experimental" release and say that a
>version 1.1 should have been released last July and not to use 0.9984
>after July 31, 1989.  So was the newer version released?

Especially since there have been rumors (are they more than that?) about
HierDA not always working quite right.  Personally, I use a pretty old
version with my 2.5Mbyte Plus and UnScrolly (YOW!  What a useful, small
tool!  Did you know it behaves correctly with SCSI Tool 2.0!?)
and an ever-growing list of other Inits.  Occasionally, the cdev I
asked for doesn't appear--get "General" instead.

Great tool, tho.  Especially nice for running straight into the menu
item you want in a big DA.

	Alex

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (03/29/90)

sclindhu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Charles Lindhurst) writes:

>The version of HierDA (a.k.a. DA menuz) in the info-mac archives is
>0.9984, but the docs call it an "experimental" release and say that a
>version 1.1 should have been released last July and not to use 0.9984
>after July 31, 1989.  So was the newer version released?

The new issue of MacWorld has a note about a package called Now
Utilities, being released by Now Software (formerly SmethersBarnes, of
ProtoTyper fame).  This package includes "some former shareware programs
packaged with some new hacks".

One of the items in the Now Utilities package is "NowMenus (known to
shareware users as HierDA or MenuDA) ... an INIT that creates a
hierarchical Apple menu and lets you access the menu bar anywhere on the
screen."  I assume they meant to say "DA menuz" rather than "Menu DA".

Now Utilities will list for $179 [wince!].  Now Software is in Portland,
Oregon and can be reached at +1 503 274 2800.
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

clay@claris.com (Clay A. Maeckel) (03/30/90)

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) writes:
>Now Utilities will list for $179 [wince!].  Now Software is in Portland,
>Oregon and can be reached at +1 503 274 2800.

A few more notes about Now Utilities. There is a intorductory price
through June 30, 1990 of $149 and you can place credit card orders toll-free
(most likely only from the U.S.) at 1-800-237-3611. This number goes directly
to their offices in Portland so you can most likely get other questions
answered too.

There is even a better price for current Prototyper users and registered
users of some of the utilities in the package. If you are currently using
DeskPICT 1.0 or 1.1 and are interested in a much improved version I would
be interested in hearing from you.

--
 Clay Maeckel         *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!clay
 (I know nothing!)    *   Internet:  clay@claris.com  *  GEnie: C.MAECKEL