[comp.sys.mac] A/UX V2.0 questions

deuchar@topo.UUCP (Gregg Deuchar) (03/20/90)

The A/UX V2.0 press release was quite interesting but a bit short on details.
I have a few questions:

1) Does the new A/UX run ALL Mac programs, or only '32-bit clean' programs?
   a) How about Mac Inits, Cdevs and Rdevs?
   b) How about MIDI programs, Games, SoftPC, ][ in a Mac?
   c) If programs of type (a) or (b) CAN be run, what is their performance like?

2) Is memory protection available for Mac programs, i.e. if the application in
the 'Mac window' crashes, does it dump the entire system or just that window?

3) Are the Mac windows accessing 'real' Finder & System files, or an emulator
hardcoded into A/UX? If not hardcoded, can the MAC OS be upgraded like a
normal system?

4) Will Virtual Memory be available for the Mac programs? How about
multitasking?

5) Can Mac or Unix files be placed on either file system (mixed), or must
each type reside only on it's own specific file system/partition?

6) What terminal emulations are available in the Unix window? In the X-window?

7) Will the Mac version of X-Windows be X11 R4? Will it support color?

Inquiring minds want to know.

[ Gregg Deuchar, LAVC System Manager    |   GenRad STP      (408) 432-1000    ]
[ All opinions expressed are MINE only! |   Path: {sun,aeras}!topo!deuchar    ]

dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) (03/21/90)

In article <22775@topo.UUCP> deuchar@topo.UUCP (Gregg Deuchar) writes:

>The A/UX V2.0 press release was quite interesting but a bit short on details.
>I have a few questions:
>
>1) Does the new A/UX run ALL Mac programs, or only '32-bit clean' programs?
	It runs >most< Mac programs.  There is a 24-bit compatibility
	option that allows programs that aren't 32-bit clean to run.
	Unfortunately there are still some programs that have problems
	even in 24-bit mode.

>   a) How about Mac Inits, Cdevs and Rdevs?
	INIT 31 does get run, meaning that INIT's, cdev's, and rdev's
	will be executed.  Many of them even work.  Unfortunately there
	are still things which can't be done, like direct access to the
	hardware, which will cause your system to crash if installed in
	the system folder.  These mac-style system crashes don't cause
	kernel panics or anything nasty like that, they just force the
	user to log in again.

>   b) How about MIDI programs, Games, SoftPC, ][ in a Mac?
	SoftPC 1.3 runs just fine.  I haven't tried the others.  MIDI
	programs have a chance of working but I wouldn't give them
	a real high liklihood since I assme they all go direct to the
	SCC rather than using the serial manager.

>   c) If programs of type (a) or (b) CAN be run, what is their performance like?
	Similar to that under the Mac OS.

>2) Is memory protection available for Mac programs, i.e. if the application in
>the 'Mac window' crashes, does it dump the entire system or just that window?
	You're running multifinder, with all applications (not A/UX programs
	like cat) sharing much of their address space.  Thus it is possible
	for some application to crash, taking the rest of the environment
	with it.  In the case, the user logs in again.

>3) Are the Mac windows accessing 'real' Finder & System files, or an emulator
>hardcoded into A/UX? If not hardcoded, can the MAC OS be upgraded like a
>normal system?
	We currently use a specially modified version of the Finder, System
	and other system files.  Some system files are used completely
	unmodified, the modifications are mostly the remove lingering
	32-bit problems.  The MacOS can be upgraded or run separate
	from the A/UX kernel.

>4) Will Virtual Memory be available for the Mac programs? How about
>multitasking?
	Yes, via the normal A/UX virtual memory scheme.  MultiTasking
	exists on two levels, scheduling between Mac programs is done
	by the existing MultiFinder scheme.  Scheduling between the
	collection of all mac apps and unix programs (ie., cat) is
	done using the existing A/UX kernel process scheme.  MultiFinder
	has modifications to take advantage of WaitNextEvent timeout
	values to sleep in the UNIX kernel instead of busywaiting.

>5) Can Mac or Unix files be placed on either file system (mixed), or must
>each type reside only on it's own specific file system/partition?
	Mac files can be placed on any type of file system.  If placed
	on an A/UX (non mac) file system, they will be actually stored
	in AppleSingle or AppleDouble format.  Unix files can be freely
	copied to macintosh volumes and vice-versa.

>6) What terminal emulations are available in the Unix window? In the X-window?
	The CommandShell pretty much emulates a VT100 with extra
	commands.  I don't know about X-Windows, but it is X11R3,
	whatever that means :-)

>7) Will the Mac version of X-Windows be X11 R4? Will it support color?
	"MacX incorporates all the stuff to be compliant with X11R4,
	but the porting base was R3" -- Steve Peters, A/UX X11 Engineer
	Yes, it does support color.

>Inquiring minds want to know.
	Proud minds want to tell...

	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb@apple.com

dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) writes:

>>   b) How about MIDI programs, Games, SoftPC, ][ in a Mac?
>	SoftPC 1.3 runs just fine.  I haven't tried the others.  MIDI
>	programs have a chance of working but I wouldn't give them
>	a real high liklihood since I assme they all go direct to the
>	SCC rather than using the serial manager.

A test for this is the Mac Portable. If a MIDI program runs on the
Portable, there's a chance it'll run on A/UX 2.0. If not, no luck (right
now, I don't think any do. They all play with the hardware directly, which
is also why they don't work on the Portable's serial port circuitry).

>>5) Can Mac or Unix files be placed on either file system (mixed), or must
>>each type reside only on it's own specific file system/partition?
>	Mac files can be placed on any type of file system.

Which is kind of nice. I boot my 2.0 system, which mounts my main mac
partition. double-click on Word or A/UX, and they run. Copy files from A/UX
to the mac partition with the finder -- no more hfx (yay!). We've actually
cloned /usr into a separate partition by copying it across with the finder
and then setting up the mount point. I'm *almost* to the point where I could
simply run A/UX 2.0 full-time and not notice the difference (a few things
don't seem to work yet, like Aldus Freehand 2.0. Why? I dunno yet. I also
haven't tried MS-Mail 2.0, since I have had enough hassle with it under
MacOS). I've had good luck with Word, Excel and Hypercard, for instance.

>>Inquiring minds want to know.
>	Proud minds want to tell...

As someone who's going to have to *support* this thing when it's released,
Dave has something to be proud of. I liked A/UX 1.1. I'm impressed with A/UX
2.0. (and, yes, I work for the company. So what?)

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All spirits are enslaved which serve things evil -- Shelley

anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) (03/21/90)

Will it be possible to run MPW and SADE under A/UX?  (I suspect the
answer is Yes to the former, but I'm not sure about the later)

anders

stiv@stat5.rice.edu (david n stivers) (03/21/90)

In article <7305@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) writes:
>In article <22775@topo.UUCP> deuchar@topo.UUCP (Gregg Deuchar) writes:
>>
>>The A/UX V2.0 press release was quite interesting but a bit short on details.
>>I have a few questions:
>>7) Will the Mac version of X-Windows be X11 R4? Will it support color?
>	"MacX incorporates all the stuff to be compliant with X11R4,
>	but the porting base was R3" -- Steve Peters, A/UX X11 Engineer
>	Yes, it does support color.

Is MacX a standard MacOS program, or will it only run under A/UX?
Any ideas about cost?
If MaxC will run under regular MacOS, will it run on a +?
What are the net connections required?
Will it do useful things via an Appletalk net that is connected to
an ethernet net?

>	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
>	dwb@apple.com

david n stivers
stiv@rice.edu

In article <11315@zodiac.ADS.COM> anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) writes:
>Will it be possible to run MPW and SADE under A/UX?  (I suspect the
>answer is Yes to the former, but I'm not sure about the later)
	MPW 3.0 and MPW 3.1 both run under A/UX (I compile MultiFinder
	on them on A/UX) with one minor patch to MPW.  I haven't tried
	SADE, but I expect it should run.  (I haven't ever managed to
	make it work under the MacOS, but that's a long story... :-)

In article <5923@brazos.Rice.edu> stiv@stat5.rice.edu (david n stivers) writes:
>Is MacX a standard MacOS program, or will it only run under A/UX?
>Any ideas about cost?
>If MaxC will run under regular MacOS, will it run on a +?
>What are the net connections required?
>Will it do useful things via an Appletalk net that is connected to
>an ethernet net?
	MacX is a regular MacOS program.  It uses the CommToolbox
	to establish connections and should work fine on anything
	supported by MacTCP.

dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) (03/22/90)

In article <7310@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) writes:
>In article <11315@zodiac.ADS.COM> anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) writes:
>>Will it be possible to run MPW and SADE under A/UX?  (I suspect the
>>answer is Yes to the former, but I'm not sure about the later)
>	MPW 3.0 and MPW 3.1 both run under A/UX (I compile MultiFinder
>	on them on A/UX) with one minor patch to MPW.  I haven't tried
>	SADE, but I expect it should run.  (I haven't ever managed to
>	make it work under the MacOS, but that's a long story... :-)
	OK.  I'm getting swamped with mail about "How do I patch MPW"
so I guess I'll post the answer.

	**** The following is neither supported or recommended by the
MPW group, the A/UX group, Apple Computer, myself or anybody else that
I know of, it just seems to work for me *****

	1.  While running A/UX, launch MPW
	2.  When it appears to be hung, break into the debugger.  If the
	pc is pointing at a "bra.s *" instruction your in luck, go to the
	next step.  If not, continue and break into the debugger again,
	repeat until you find the "bra.s *".
	3.  Examine the instructions around the bra.s instruction.  You
	are going to use resedit to change the bra.s, so remember them
	well.
	4.  Type "pc=pc+2" to skip over the bra.s instruction.
	5.  Use resedit to change the "bra.s *" instruction to a "nop".

>	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
>	dwb@apple.com

	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb@apple.com

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (03/22/90)

Dear David -
  Sorry to contradict you in public, but MPW 3.0 and 3.1 do not run under
A/UX without the special patches that you guys have made.  We are working
on making MPW and SADE work without a hitch under A/UX.  We expect to do
that in our next version

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (03/22/90)

Does anybody know.?.?.

If I want A/UX 2.0, but don't need another disk drive (already have 400 megs
worth) and don't have an Apple 40 meg tape drive (I have a Teac 60 meg),
can I get 2.0??

Thanks.

Ray
rterry%hpda@hplabs.hp.com

P.S.  I don't have a CD-Rom, either...

ech@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (ned.horvath) (03/22/90)

One more, possibly moronic question: among others, A/UX is to be available
on CD-ROM.  Is that CD-ROM going to include a bootable A/UX partition, i.e.
will it be possible to boot off a sash disk, then use the CD-ROM as root?

Yes, of course, I'll need things like eschatology and swap on a writable
drive.  And I suppose it will STILL have to be an Apple drive, or the disk
utilities won't be able to help.  But most of that hundred-thousand-blocks
of A/UX can stay right on the CD-ROM.

Near that alternative is to have a minimal writable root, with archival
stuff (/lib, /bin, much of /usr) on the CD-ROM.  Unless A/UX has grown
a WHOLE lot since 1.1.1, you might even do it both ways and still have
room on the CD-ROM to put back all the gnu source :-)

=Ned Horvath=

gentner@Apple.COM (Don Gentner) (03/24/90)

In article <-286499949@hpcupt1.HP.COM> rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) writes:
>Does anybody know.?.?.
>
>If I want A/UX 2.0, but don't need another disk drive (already have 400 megs
>worth) and don't have an Apple 40 meg tape drive (I have a Teac 60 meg),
>can I get 2.0??

In addition to coming on a hard disk, cartridge tape, and CD-ROM,
A/UX 2.0 will also be available on floppy disks.
                        Don
Don Gentner			email: gentner@apple.com
Apple Computer			telephone: 408 974-5198
10440 Bubb Rd, MS: 58A		fax: 408 974-0892
Cupertino, CA 95014		AppleLink: GENTNER

jimvons@ashtate (Jim von Schmacht) (03/24/90)

The press releases said that it is also available on 800k disks...thousands
of them probably.
Jim v.S.
--
Jim von Schmacht    Senior Member, Project Test Staff    Ashton Tate Corporation
Disclaimer: Standard Issue

jonb@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Jon Buller) (03/26/90)

In article <858@ashton.UUCP> jimvons@ashton.UUCP (Jim von Schmacht) writes:
>The press releases said that it is also available on 800k disks...thousands
>of them probably.

Well, maybe not THOUSANDS... 8-)  I seem to remember hearing that the last
version was available on 55 disks once.  Anyone know just how many disks
2.0 will be on?  My guess is 75.  It might be better to spend a little extra
on a CD-ROM player and save the weeks of installation and disk swapping...
Jon Buller       jonb@vector.dallas.tx.us       ..!texbell!vector!jonb
FROM Fortune IMPORT Quote;             FROM Lawyers IMPORT Disclaimer;

dwb@sticks.apple.com (David Berry) (03/27/90)

In article <1134@vector.Dallas.TX.US> jonb@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Jon Buller) writes:
>In article <858@ashton.UUCP> jimvons@ashton.UUCP (Jim von Schmacht) writes:
>>The press releases said that it is also available on 800k disks...thousands
>>of them probably.
>
>Well, maybe not THOUSANDS... 8-)  I seem to remember hearing that the last
>version was available on 55 disks once.  Anyone know just how many disks
>2.0 will be on?  My guess is 75.  It might be better to spend a little extra
>on a CD-ROM player and save the weeks of installation and disk swapping...
	1.1 was on 26
	1.1.1 was on 27
	2.0 is on 39

	I'd still suggest a CD-Rom player...
	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb@apple.com

jonb@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Jon Buller) (03/29/90)

In article <7409@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@sticks.apple.com (David Berry) writes:

   [ comments on how big A/UX is (as applied to 800K floppies) deleted ]

>	1.1 was on 26
>	1.1.1 was on 27
>	2.0 is on 39
>
>	I'd still suggest a CD-Rom player...
>	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
>	dwb@apple.com

Well, I'm impressed.  That's about 30MB, I would have thought that getting all
of SYS V, those BSD extras, and all the other goodies that are rumored to be
in there, would have taken a LOT more space.  Maybe UNIX isn't such a resource
PIG after all... 8-)

Thanks for setting me straight.  I wonder where I heard the number 55...?
And has Apple set the price on all that yet?  Any idea when they will?

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (03/29/90)

jonb@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Jon Buller) writes:

>In article <7409@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@sticks.apple.com (David Berry) writes:

>Well, I'm impressed.  That's about 30MB, I would have thought that getting all
>of SYS V, those BSD extras, and all the other goodies that are rumored to be
>in there, would have taken a LOT more space.  Maybe UNIX isn't such a resource
>PIG after all... 8-)

>Thanks for setting me straight.  I wonder where I heard the number 55...?

	55 Mbytes is the partition size on disk to receive all of this
stuff along with some free space to work.

--
| Louis Demers              | DREV, Defence Research Establishment,Valcartier |
| louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca | POBox 8800, Courcelette,Quebec, CANADA, G0A 1R0 |

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (03/30/90)

I wrote

>jonb@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Jon Buller) writes:

>>In article <7409@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@sticks.apple.com (David Berry) writes:

>>Well, I'm impressed.  That's about 30MB, I would have thought that getting all
>>of SYS V, those BSD extras, and all the other goodies that are rumored to be
>>in there, would have taken a LOT more space.  Maybe UNIX isn't such a resource
>>PIG after all... 8-)

>>Thanks for setting me straight.  I wonder where I heard the number 55...?

>	55 Mbytes is the partition size on disk to receive all of this
>stuff along with some free space to work.

	I think this 55 Mb. partition leaves you with 10 Mb free.  You then
	need a swap space partition (+/- 20 Mb) and esch (3 Mb), and
	partition for users (if you don't want to put them in the
	root partition) (??? Mb).  For X11 installation, the doc
	says you need 12 Mb. free.

	Hope I didn't mislead anyboy with the "all this stuff".