[comp.sys.mac] Changes in Word 4.0a

dayglow@csli.Stanford.EDU (Eric T. Ly) (03/28/90)

There was recently some talk about Word 4.0a.  I'm just curious about
what changes they made to it besides better handling of Expressionist
and MacDraw.

Is it worth getting if I don't use either of these packages?  I use
Word quite a bit for formula typesetting.  Thanks.

					Eric Ly
					CSLI, Stanford University

dayglow@csli.Stanford.EDU (Eric T. Ly) writes:

>There was recently some talk about Word 4.0a.  I'm just curious about
>what changes they made to it besides better handling of Expressionist
>and MacDraw.

It also includes some fixes for compatibility problems with the IIci --
turns out they were doing some memory management no-nos with fake handles in
the menu code, and it broke when the IIci memory management hardware came out.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

He hasn't an enemy in the world, and none of his friends like him. -- Wilde

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (03/28/90)

Question:  Does anyone know if Word 4.0a supports fractional fonts,
&/or if the patch for Word 4.0 will still work?  Please advise...
Thanks!

--

	-=Alan=-
	aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (03/29/90)

> dayglow@csli.Stanford.EDU (Eric T. Ly) writes:

> There was recently some talk about Word 4.0a.  I'm just curious about
> what changes they made to it besides better handling of Expressionist
> and MacDraw.

Me too.  The BIG bug I want to see fixed is its inability to work in
integral multiples or sane decimal fractions of metric units.  I want
to set my margins to 1.0cm, not 0.937 or whatever it insists I meant.

Anyone at Microsoft care to comment?  Is the thing doomed to think in
gallons and furlongs forever?  WriteNow doesn't have this problem, and
that alone is enough to make me prefer it.

--
--  Jack Campin   Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland   041 339 8855 x6044 work  041 556 1878 home

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (03/30/90)

Speaking of Word, I have a couple of comments:

1) I need to be able to have styles that apply to any selected text
not just paragraphs.  This is an important generalization of the idea
of styles.

2) Make the renumber dialog remember the last settings i used on this
document, I hate having toselect "by example" every time.  In general
have all dialogs remember state.

3) allow the automatic regeneration of table of contents and
renumbering before a printout. (this could be an option).  Currently
to print I must renumber and then rebuild table of contents before
printing.

4) WHy does renumber  insist on counting the table of contents in the
numbering, (messing up the numbers)?  I have to go into outline mode
to prevent this from happening!

5) Word needs to allow dynamic numbering of diagrams.  In addition many
times I refer to "please note as in section 1.2.3.2"  Why cant the
section number here be a dynamic thing so that renumbering affects it?

These are just some requests from a *committed* Word user.

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good. It would be the end
 of everything we know."  Marvin Minsky