[comp.sys.mac] Thank you, Apple!

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (03/25/90)

Thank you, Apple for letting us ftp your latest System
Software. IBM and Microsoft: how about do the same thing
with your OSs???? I like to see OS/2 for free!! Not to
pay for it a small fortune.

DiskCopy is great. And I like Oscar, too.
Keep up the good work with apple.apple.com ftp site.

I've been happy to notice your support for Apple
users in late months. Thanks.

--
	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)----------------
University of Vaasa, Finland ftp site (128.214.12.3) PC & Mac directories

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar25.125336.8932@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
>Thank you, Apple for letting us ftp your latest System
>Software. IBM and Microsoft: how about do the same thing
>with your OSs???? I like to see OS/2 for free!! Not to
>pay for it a small fortune.

I can't see Microsoft giving away OS/2.  I wouldn't ASK them to.  They have
put a LOT of work into that package, and deserve to be paid for it.  Now,
upgrades, on the other hand...

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
DISCLAIMER:  Me?  Work for Microsoft?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

kklw@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Kevin K L WONG) (03/28/90)

In article <5519@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) writes:
>In article <1990Mar25.125336.8932@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
>>Thank you, Apple for letting us ftp your latest System
>>Software. IBM and Microsoft: how about do the same thing
>>with your OSs???? I like to see OS/2 for free!! Not to
>>pay for it a small fortune.
>
>I can't see Microsoft giving away OS/2.  I wouldn't ASK them to.  They have
>put a LOT of work into that package, and deserve to be paid for it.  Now,
>upgrades, on the other hand...

Well, I think if one day Apple will away A/UX for free, that it's the time
to ask Microsoft the OS/2 for free!! I would like a lot of things for free
(eg Macintosh or PC), but things are just not working in this way :-(

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|  Kevin WONG                       |  ACSnet   : kklw@mullian.ee.mu.OZ       |
|  Department of Elec Engineering   |  internet : kklw@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU    |
|  University of Melbourne          |  uunet    : uunet!munnari!mullian!kklw  |

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (03/29/90)

In article <5519@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) writes:
>In article <1990Mar25.125336.8932@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
>>Thank you, Apple for letting us ftp your latest System
>>Software. IBM and Microsoft: how about do the same thing
>>with your OSs???? I like to see OS/2 for free!! Not to
>>pay for it a small fortune.
>
>I can't see Microsoft giving away OS/2.  I wouldn't ASK them to.  They have
>put a LOT of work into that package, and deserve to be paid for it.  Now,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>upgrades, on the other hand...

Oh really, and do you think that Apple hasn't put a lot of work into their OS.

The major difference is that Apple really does sell you the OS, it's included
in the price of the hardware that you buy.  Upgrades are free.  If M'soft had
a proprietary hardware suite, then they could hide the cost of the OS in the
hardware price.  I understand that legitimate owners of OS/2 can upgrade for
a nominal fee.  I don't think that Apple's OS would be *free* if there were
9 billion Taiwan clones out there that could run it!

Just my $0.02 worth

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

spelling and grammar flames > /dev/null

jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (03/29/90)

Apple is in a better position to give away their OS than IBM
or Microsoft. If you are using the Mac OS, you own a MAC, thus Apple
has made some money from you. You are a customer and it is reasonable
for them to give you the latest release.

If you want a copy of MS-DOS, however, you may never have purchased
anything from Microsoft. You may have just picked up a PC Clone
(without DOS) and want to pick up the latest DOS as a freebie. Why
should Microsoft give it away.  (On the other hand, I wish they would
make it easier/cheaper for current registered owners to pick up
new releases.)

Jim

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (03/29/90)

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) writes:

>In article <1990Mar25.125336.8932@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
>>Thank you, Apple for letting us ftp your latest System
>>Software. IBM and Microsoft: how about do the same thing
>>with your OSs???? I like to see OS/2 for free!! Not to
>>pay for it a small fortune.

>I can't see Microsoft giving away OS/2.  I wouldn't ASK them to.  They have
>put a LOT of work into that package, and deserve to be paid for it.  Now,
>upgrades, on the other hand...

Your logic implies, though I'm sure you didn't intend it to, that
Apple has NOT put a lot of work into their package.

Reality is that if Macintosh clones begin selling, Apple will also
have to pull their system software from general free access, and
charge enough money to cover development costs, since they can no
longer depend on the equivelent revenue from their hardware.

Their current license policy says it cannot be run on non-Apple
hardware, but that is unenforceable if they lose the attempt to
prevent such hardware from existing.

jim

--
Jim Budler	jim@eda.com    ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
Digital Equipment Corporation, EDA Systems Group

coolidge@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (03/30/90)

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) writes:
>Reality is that if Macintosh clones begin selling, Apple will also
>have to pull their system software from general free access, and
>charge enough money to cover development costs, since they can no
>longer depend on the equivelent revenue from their hardware.

>Their current license policy says it cannot be run on non-Apple
>hardware, but that is unenforceable if they lose the attempt to
>prevent such hardware from existing.

Not necessarily so. The current license is exactly as enforcable as
the laws against illegal copying --- in both cases, if you can catch
someone using the software illegally, you're free to sue them for
violation. The big difference isn't enforceablity --- if Apple was
to change for the OS, many people would just give bought copies to
their friends instead of free copies (because, after all, the tradition
holds that the OS, at least on the Mac, can be copied to others, and I
doubt that tradition will be quick or easy to change). The big difference
is that Apple would make _some_ money off sales, instead of no money.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (04/07/90)

In <1990Apr05.141253.14391@pmafire.UUCP> geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen):
>>>How tough would it be to put a listserver on apple.com, anyway?
>>>UUCP'ingly yours,
>>>Geoff Allen
>>	Its probably not as easy as you think. As far as I can tell
>>	FTP access will only work thru internet access, if you don't
>>	have it, your SOL. Instead of complaining on the net, why don't
>>	you get your company or Administrator to get your system on
>>	the Internet...complain at the source.
>
>That's exactly the point.  I'm not talking about FTP.  I'm talking about
>a listserver.  Something like the one at rice which echos the sumex
>archive.  You send it mail with lines that are commands.  For example,
>if I want that latest version of Disinfectant, I'd send a message
>saying:

Actually bitnet users can use ftp services. You need to use a bitftp-server,
but I've heard that it works fine. BITFTP AT PUCC is one such server.

-----------------
> HELP
        BITFTP -- Princeton BITNET FTP Server

BITFTP provides an (RFC822) mail interface to the FTP
portion of the IBM TCP/IP product ("FAL") running on the
Princeton VM system, to allow BITNET/NetNorth/EARN users to
ftp files from sites on the Internet.

To use BITFTP, send mail containing your ftp commands to
"BITFTP@PUCC".  The first command to BITFTP must be "FTP"
or "HELP".

The recommended syntax for ftp requests is:

FTP hostname
USER username password
<other ftp subcommands>

BITFTP implements a subset of the ftp subcommands provided
in the IBM TCP/IP and uses the same syntax.  Therefore, you
may find it useful to obtain the "IBM TCP/IP for VM Command
Reference Manual", IBM order number GC09-1204.

The files you request will be sent to you in NETDATA format.
You will also receive a mail file containing a log of your
ftp session.  In that mail file, entries prefixed by ">" are
your original commands; those prefixed by ">>" are your
commands as interpreted by BITFTP and passed to FTPSERVE;
those prefixed by ">>>" are messages from FTPSERVE; and
those prefixed by ">>>>" are completion messages from BITFTP.

If BITFTP is unable to connect to the host you specify,
it will send you mail after the first attempt, but will keep
trying at intervals over three days.  The only additional mail
files you will receive will be when the connection is made
successfully or when BITFTP gives up after three days.

This service is currently under development and is far from
complete.  Current plans for improvements include:

1.  Acknowledgments via MSG when mail is received and when
    processing has been completed.

2.  A much more complete HELP facility.

3.  Ability to accept requests in IBM NOTE and PROFS
    formats.

4.  Support for several more of the FTP subcommands, such
    as MGET.

Questions about BITFTP and suggestions for improvements
should be directed to Melinda Varian, MAINT@PUCC on BITNET.

The author gratefully acknowledges the use of the FTP
SUBCOM interface written by David Nessl (DAVID@NERVM) and
of the RFC822 parsing routine written by Eric Thomas
(ERIC@LEPICS).
-----------------

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  /   HP S /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /   48 X /

rob@uokmax.uucp (Bolo) (04/08/90)

In article <2364@tellab5.tellabs.com> kenk@tellab5.UUCP (Ken Konecki) writes:
>In article <1465@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>Money doesn't grow on tress and Internet hook ups are very expensive.
>With respect to complaining at the source, the source is Apple. News

"Money doesn't grow on trees" is probably the reason. I know that if I were
a downstream site from Apple, and people starting mailing files through in
3 meg chunks (across MY long distance lines), I'd get more than a little
steamed.
Now, a dial in line for anonymous uucp would put the cost back on the people
who want the files, where it belongs.

>Ken Konecki

	Robert Shull

--