[comp.sys.mac] memory upgrade

i91@nikhefh.UUCP (Fons Rademakers) (01/06/88)

Could somebody tell me where best to order a 2Meg SIMM memory
upgrade (i.e. from SE with 1Meg to 2.5Meg), and for what price ?
At Programs Plus they mentioned a waiting time of about 2 months
due to memory chip shortage. Is this true?

Thanks in advance,
     -- Fons Rademakers
--
Org:    NIKHEF-H, National Institute for Nuclear and High-Energy Physics.
Mail:   Kruislaan 409, P.O. Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, the Netherlands

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (01/08/88)

in article <413@nikhefh.UUCP>, i91@nikhefh.UUCP (Fons Rademakers) says:

> Could somebody tell me where best to order a 2Meg SIMM memory
> upgrade (i.e. from SE with 1Meg to 2.5Meg), and for what price ?
> At Programs Plus they mentioned a waiting time of about 2 months
> due to memory chip shortage. Is this true?

I bought mine from MacProducts in Austin Texas. Cost $229 per SIMM
and I got them promptly. They seemed nice too.

--
Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter BITNET:Peter@Acadia

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (01/08/88)

in article <698@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) says:

> I bought mine from MacProducts in Austin Texas. Cost $229 per SIMM
> and I got them promptly. They seemed nice too.

I forgot their to include their phone number: 1-800-Mac-Disk

--

kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Ken Wallich) (01/19/88)

>I bought mine from MacProducts in Austin Texas. Cost $229 per SIMM
>and I got them promptly. They seemed nice too.
----------
I just called them today (1/18/88) and they now cost $289 a piece.
Geesh, 1mb simms look like a better investment than apple stock!

--------------------
Ken Wallich			*My views are mine, and mine alone*
Consultant			"Slimey? Mud Hole? my HOME this is!"
DCI 				kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM
@Hewlett Packard		...hplabs!hpsmtc1!kwallich

"Why am I soft in the middle, when the rest of my life is so hard? - P.Simon"

moitoso%dacia@Sun.COM (Bob Moitoso) (07/18/89)

here is a dumb question.  If I buy the chips for a memory
upgrade are there instructions included? Can a software
computer install the chips and upgrade his MAC SE?  I am
tron between having someone do it and doing it myself.
Any comments?
Thanks
Bob

whalen@stromboli.usc.edu (Tim Whalen) (07/18/89)

In article <116038@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> moitoso@sun.UUCP () writes:
>here is a dumb question.  If I buy the chips for a memory
>upgrade are there instructions included? Can a software
>computer install the chips and upgrade his MAC SE?  I am
>tron ....

Wow, and I thought it was just a movie!

>Any comments?
>Thanks
>Bob

Tim Whalen

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (04/07/90)

Yeah but that wait only happens when I boot.  I really don't have to wait long
during the rest of the day with those 4 megs ready to do my bidding.  If you
schedule right, and start your machine before you get out your projects, you
won't even notice that delay while those lovely 4 megs do their warm-up!

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (04/09/90)

In article <1434@mindlink.UUCP> a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) writes:
>Yeah but that wait only happens when I boot.  I really don't have to wait long
>during the rest of the day with those 4 megs ready to do my bidding.  If you
>schedule right, and start your machine before you get out your projects, you
>won't even notice that delay while those lovely 4 megs do their warm-up!

I believe that this thread was started by an SE (?) owner who added memory
to his system, and afterwards experienced longer cold startup times.

I have encountered the same wait that he expressed, but only when I upgraded
from 1M to 2.5M.  When I subsequently upgraded to 4M, I no longer experienced
this wait.  I would like to note, however, that the memory test seemed to run
just long enough for the SCSI bus to timeout.  I am using an internal 45M
Seagate 157N.  While the system was doing the memory test, the drive would
become ready.  For some reason, the SCSI bus check would have to try a second
time to find the drive.  I never, however, experienced a situation where this
would make my system un-bootable.

My guess is that whichever SCSI drive you are using is ready some given time
_before_ the memory test is done.  This, in turn, causes a time lapse between
the completion of the memory test and the recognition of your drive.

BTW, does anyone believe this could be a problem with the driver itself?  I have
also changed drivers since my upgrade to 4M... possibly this could have had
something to do with this.

Bill Taroli
WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *