[comp.sys.mac] Do I Want system 6.0.5?

yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) (04/08/90)

In article <1906@esquire.UUCP> yost@esquire.UUCP (I, David A. Yost) writes:
>I personally saw Wings 1.1 and 1.1c crash 6.0.5 upon quitting and trying to
>launch it again under Multifinder.  Wingz tech support only discovered this
>on March 22 or so, and they say it is a problem that Apple will have to fix.
>Anyone know anything more on this?
>
>I reluctantly backed off to 6.0.4.

Keith Esau at Informix just posted this on Applelink:

    Well, the egg is on my face.

    A couple of days ago I claimed to have found a bug in the Memory
    Manager of System 6.0.5.  I WAS WRONG.  After careful examination of
    the problem, the problem ends up being in my code because of an
    oversight in an obscure area of my code.

    Fortunately for me, the fix in my code is easy.  Unfortunately, the
    things I said in my other note have propagated far beyond where I
    intended.  I hope that this message will make up for.

    As for other developers out there, please don't take anything at face
    value;  CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF!  This includes both new Systems and
    alleged bugs found.  And if you do find bugs in System software,
    contact Mac DTS and let them help you verify it (which I did, but
    unfortunately I also left a note on a bulletin board).

    I hope this clears the air.

    Keith Esau, Informix Software

 --dave yost
   yost@dpw.com or uunet!esquire!yost
   Please ignore the From or Reply-To fields above, if different.

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (04/08/90)

/* Written  8:34 am  Apr  6, 1990 by rob@uokmax.uucp */
 > This is the same as the "International Letter of Assurance" in the APDALog.
 > It's preceded there by an explanation that the US Government requires this
 > for any non-US resident. Since ftp access isn't restricted to machines in
 > the US, they were probably forced to do it the way they did.

The question still remains . . . Does this apply to US Citizens?  Does it
apply (as one person already asked) to places like LLL (which I assume he
meant to be Lawrence Livermore Labs)?

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \

rob@uokmax.uucp (Bolo) (04/10/90)

In article <20200113@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>/* Written  8:34 am  Apr  6, 1990 by rob@uokmax.uucp */
> > This is the same as the "International Letter of Assurance" in the APDALog.
> > It's preceded there by an explanation that the US Government requires this
> > for any non-US resident. Since ftp access isn't restricted to machines in
> > the US, they were probably forced to do it the way they did.
>
>The question still remains . . . Does this apply to US Citizens?  Does it
>apply (as one person already asked) to places like LLL (which I assume he
>meant to be Lawrence Livermore Labs)?

If this is the "International Letter of Assurance", and the wording appears
to be identical, then it's not required for US residents. If a citizen were
have stuff shipped to an address outside the US, it looks like it would be
required. I guess this means it's OK to use your Mac for building A-bombs
in the basement.

>Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

	Robert
--