[comp.sys.mac] Hebrew Word Processor

mha@memory.UUCP (Mark H. Anbinder) (12/19/89)

I am looking for a program that allows word processing in Hebrew, that
DOES NOT require the Hebrew System software and Script Manager.  In other
words, I need a right-to-left word processor... if necessary I can supply
a separate font.

Any suggestions?  Please respond via e-mail.

Mark H. Anbinder         "Apparently -- thinks I'm a nice accomodating guy.
1063 Warren Road # 6      Please explain to him that I am a son of a bitch."
Ithaca, NY 14850                               ... Robert A. Heinlein 1961

607-257-3480              ..!batcomputer!memory!mha            -  STARNET  -
                          mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu           MEMORY  ALPHA

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (12/22/89)

In article <206@memory.uucp> mha@memory.UUCP (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
>I am looking for a program that allows word processing in Hebrew, that
>DOES NOT require the Hebrew System software and Script Manager.  In other
>words, I need a right-to-left word processor... if necessary I can supply
>a separate font.

	There are only two options that I am aware of for doing Hebrew WP
without the use of the Hebrew System and Script Manager compatible software.
	The first (and cheapest) is to aquire a version of Mac-in-Hebrew which
was a DA written many moons ago which allowed for Right->Left text entry in
MacWrite and MSWord (the only two products back then...).  It was quite good
and many people used it for doing serious stuff.  It has not been updated since
the Script Manager/Hebrew OS and may not work with the latest machines and/or
system software.
	The other option is to call Davka Corporation and see if they will sell
you a copy of Achbar.  Achbar was their original Hebrew WP which did its own
Hebrew handling (no SM back then).  Like their current product line, the
software is ugly, buggy, copy protected (big time!) and overpriced - but that's
the business ;-)

Hope that helps...

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

moshe@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Moshe Yudkowsky) (04/09/90)

The question we've all seen before:  is there a hebrew word processor out
there?   I have the fonts, I just need the left to right processing.

If anyone out there is *using* a working something, please let me know.

Thank you.

--
        Moshe Yudkowsky   moshe@ihlpl.att.com  att!ihlpl!moshe
"Here's to our friends, the good guys.""And here's to our enemies,

yossie@marque.mu.edu (04/10/90)

RavKtav is the replacement for MouseWrite.  It uses the Script Manager and
works fine, at least with the SE/30.  I haven't tried it on a IIci yet.
RavDaf is a DesktopPublishing package that uses similar technology to RavKtav
which means it too is multi-lingual.  As for fonts, there are a few dozen
or so of laser-fonts in hebrew available.  I am not sure where you could get
this stuff in the US, I know in Israel you talk to Yeda computers.  I can
get you more information if you really need it.  Beware that RavKta costs
around $500 and the fonts are a few $100's as well.  - Yossie