[comp.sys.mac] Blinking Apple

billk@pnet01.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) (08/21/87)

I'm posting this for a friend:

Why does the "apple" blink?

A while ago, a friend noticed that the Apple Menu icon on my Macintosh 512k
enhanced was flashing?  Does anyone know anything about this?

Is something wrong with my Mac?

-------------------

Please mail replys to:
--
Bill Kelly,     {ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax}!crash!pnet01!billk
DevWare Inc.    (Don't use pnet01!billk; try crash!pnet01!billk -- Thanks!)

                "Where there's a will, there's a relative..."

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (08/21/87)

You might check Tech Note #85 "GetNextEvent; Blinking Apple Menu".
The GetNextEvent filter routine pointed to by memory location
$29A sets the blinking.

waldman@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (benjamin waldman) (08/21/87)

In article <1574@crash.CTS.COM> billk@pnet01.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) writes:
>A while ago, a friend noticed that the Apple Menu icon on my Macintosh 512k
>enhanced was flashing?  Does anyone know anything about this?
>
>Is something wrong with my Mac?

No, nothing is wrong with your Mac. After the alarm goes off in the Alarm
Clock DA, the apple menu will blink until you shut off the alarm.

					Ben Waldman
					waldman@husc4.harvard.edu
					...seismo!harvard!husc4!waldman

dowdy@apple.UUCP (Tom Dowdy) (08/22/87)

Regarding a question about the blinking Apple on someone's new Mac 512e:

In article <3701@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
> You might check Tech Note #85 "GetNextEvent; Blinking Apple Menu".
> The GetNextEvent filter routine pointed to by memory location
> $29A sets the blinking.

While this is usually a pretty technical forum, I think the original poster
may have been a bit surprised at the answer to his "simple" question.
I somehow expect that the original person was simply asking how THEIR Apple
menu started blinking.

The "blinking Apple" is used to indicate that your Alarm Clock has gone
off.  You can set the time of the Alarm with the Alarm Clock Desk Accessory.
You may also use this to turn off the Alarm Clock (and hence the blinking
Apple)

  Tom Dowdy                 CSNET:    dowdy@apple.CSNET
  Apple Computer MS:27Y     AppleLink:DOWDY1
  20525 Mariani Ave         UUCP:     {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
  Cupertino, CA 95014
  "Plus ca change, Plus c'est la meme chose."

howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) (08/23/87)

In article <1574@crash.CTS.COM> billk@pnet01.UUCP writes:

>Why does the "apple" blink?
>
>A while ago, a friend noticed that the Apple Menu icon on my Macintosh 512k
>enhanced was flashing?  Does anyone know anything about this?
>
>Is something wrong with my Mac?

When the apple blinks it's telling you that the alarm clock is set. To turn off the
blink go into the apple menu, select alarm clock, click on the the little flag in
the right top corner. Select the little alarm clock, click on the slide switch (on
the left). Close alarm clock. The blink is gone. So is the beep you hear when you
boot the machine (just before is gives you control of the mouse.
		Howard Moskovitz
	AT&T Bell Labs @ Liberty Corner, NJ
		ihnp4!io!howard

afoster@ogcvax.UUCP (Allan Foster) (08/23/87)

The normal reson for the blinking apple is that the alarm
clock has gone off!!!

You did know that the mac had an alarm clock, didn't you?
If you open the alarm clock da you can turn off the alarm
and the apple will stop blinking.

Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from MAGIC             Arthur C. Clarke.

 Allan Foster     afoster@ogcvax

fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) (08/24/87)

In article <1574@crash.CTS.COM> billk@pnet01.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) writes:
>Why does the "apple" blink?
>A while ago, a friend noticed that the Apple Menu icon on my Macintosh 512k
>enhanced was flashing?  Does anyone know anything about this?

My guess is that your alarm clock was set and you didn't bother to turn it
off.  I saw the same thing with my mac when that had happened.

Hope this helps
Dave Fritzinger allegra!phri!fritz

hallett@macbeth.steinmetz (Jeff R Hallett) (08/24/87)

In article <1574@crash.CTS.COM> billk@pnet01.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) writes:
>I'm posting this for a friend:
>
>Why does the "apple" blink?
>
>A while ago, a friend noticed that the Apple Menu icon on my Macintosh 512k
>enhanced was flashing?  Does anyone know anything about this?
>
>Is something wrong with my Mac?

After it  blinks 500 times,  it will denote  a thermonuclear explosion
that should destroy half   of the  civilized  world   or at least  all
unscrupulous Apple dealers.  With that in mind, why don't you leave it
on a couple of nights :^)?

By the way, I'm just  kidding.  Try turning   the Alarm Clock's  alarm
off.  It never shuts itself off.  When the alarm  goes off, if  the AC
is not the active accessory, it  just sets the  Apple Menu to blinking
instead of beeping.

Jeffrey A. Hallett               (hallett@ge-crd.arpa   hallett@desdemona.uucp)
Software Technology Program
General Electric Corporate Research and Development

"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"

                                 -- Kirk  (STIII)
Disclaimer:  My opinions do not represent my employer's, but it is his fault
             for giving me this thing.

arnone@cooper.UUCP (Chris Arnone ) (08/26/87)

in article <1574@crash.CTS.COM>, billk@pnet01.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) says:

> I'm posting this for a friend:
>
> Why does the "apple" blink?

It blinks because your alarm clock has gone off.

photo@trwspf.TRW.COM (Brian Girvin) (07/29/88)

The other day as the image of the clock danced around on my Mac Plus,
I heard a beep.  Oh, I thought, I must have lost contact with a
MacServe Server.  But when I moved the mouse I did not see the standard
alert box associated with the temporary MacServe error.  What I did
see was really strange...I saw the apple in the menu bar blinking from
regular to inverse with a black box around it.  It blinks once a second.
What does this mean????  Is it from the System or is it from some software
program playing a joke on my Mac?  The Apple menu works find when you click
on it.  I am running Finder 6.0 and System 4.2.

By the way, someone else in our lab said that the apple in the menubar of
her Mac SE has always blinked from the first day she got it about 6 months
ago.  She thought it was suppose to.

I can't stand the stupid blinking.  How do I STOP it ???
--
-- Brian J. Girvin
   TRW, Bldg O2/1797, One Space Park, Redondo Beach, CA  90278

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (07/31/88)

In article <806@trwspf.TRW.COM> photo@trwspf.UUCP (Brian Girvin) writes:
>...I saw the apple in the menu bar blinking from
>regular to inverse with a black box around it.  It blinks once a second.
>What does this mean????  Is it from the System or is it from some software

In my experience, this is always caused by someone setting the ALARM CLOCK
Desk Accessory.  It seems that at any given moment about 50% of the Macs
in the labs here have blinking apples.  It can be confusing, since the system
floppy currently in use may not have the Alarm Clock DA on it, and therefore
can't turn the alarm off (the clock settings are held in the battery-backed
parameter RAM and stay in effect until changed).

Solution: get a disk with the Alarm Clock DA on it, and shut off the alarm!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::  Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director   :: System Operator, "The CallBoard"
:: Department of Theatre, SUNY Oswego  :: - Serving the performing arts -
:: Internet: ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU :: (315) 947-6414, 300/1200 baud, 8N1
::        Voice: (315) 341-2987        :: UUCP ...sunybcs!oswego!cboard!ostroff
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

dcc@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Daniel C. Carr) (07/31/88)

 daniel carr

In article <2040@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> dcc@ncsuvx.UUCP (Daniel C. Carr) writes:

> daniel carr

sorry about that last posting.  the first line got chopped.  i meant to say
that it was the alarm clock (Desk Accessory)

daniel carr

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (08/02/88)

photo@trwspf.UUCP (Brian Girvin) writes:
[re a blinking apple in the menu bar:]
>I can't stand the stupid blinking.  How do I STOP it? [with the Alarm Clock]

Now for a harder one. How do you stop the insertion-point cursor in a word
processor (I use WriteNow, but they all do it) from blinking? Ideally, how
do you stop it but leave yourself the option to reactivate it while the
program is running... or am I fantasizing?

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

photo@trwspf.TRW.COM (Brian Girvin) (08/02/88)

Sorry for such a stupid question...but thanks too all who responded.
I found a copy of the Alarm Clock DA, installed it and turned off the
Blinking Apple.

My next question will be more interesting...

--
-- Brian J. Girvin
   TRW, Bldg O2/1797, One Space Park, Redondo Beach, CA  90278
   USENET:  photo@trwspf.trw.com        Phone:  (213) 535-1709
            {sdcrdcf, scgvaxd, ucbvax}!trwrb!trwspf!photo

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (08/03/88)

I tried the Alarm Clock on a Mac Plus under 6.0:
I got an Apple alternating with a little clock
once the alarm went off.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
husc6!lloyd!kent

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (08/04/88)

In article <109@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
>I tried the Alarm Clock on a Mac Plus under 6.0:
>I got an Apple alternating with a little clock
>once the alarm went off.

Neat!  They are using the Notification Manager now for that!  Basically, the
notification manager, which is in sys 6, allows you to display an icon in
succession with the apple in the menu as well as put a diamond next to the
requesting-attention da or appl.

-Andy

Andy J. Williams '90   |Ack Systems: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu|   _   /|
Software Development   +--------------------------------------+   \`o_O' ACK!
Kiewit Computation Ctr |Hello. Set $NAME='Iinigo Montoya' You |     ( )  /
Dartmouth College      |kill -9 my process.  Prepare to vi.   |      U

bldflame@pnet06.cts.com (Stuart Burden) (08/05/88)

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:
>Now for a harder one. How do you stop the insertion-point cursor in a word
>processor (I use WriteNow, but they all do it) from blinking? Ideally, how
>do you stop it but leave yourself the option to reactivate it while the
>program is running... or am I fantasizing?

I don't know if you can stop the blinking in any of the commercial WP's (you'd
probably have to write your own code to do it), but you can slow down the
blink rate.  This is an adjustment in the control panel.

Stu.

                    ______________
       -  -- ---  /  __________   /     "Now we send forth Jen.
          - ---  /  / #    #  /  /       Watch over his dangerous quest"
     --- -- --  /  /    /    /  /
  - - --- ---  /  /   \__/  /  / _________________________________________
 -- -- --- -  /  /_________/  / ARPA: hodge!pnet06!bldflame@crash nosc.mil
   -- --- -- / #        ___  / UUCP: hodge.cts.com!pnet06!bldflame
 - --- - -  /---------------/ INET: bldflame@pnet06.cts.com
--  --- -  /_______________/ _____________________________________________
All of these opinions are mine and therefore a reflection of my own sanity
not necessarily that of anyone else on the face of this earth :-)

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (08/05/88)

Go into the DA called "Alarm Clock" and click on the circle in the right hand
corner, and the window will get bigger.  Then click on the icon of the alarm
clock in the lower right.  Then click on the button in the middle and on the
left.  This turns the alarm off.  The beep you heard was the alarm (the exact
time it went off) and the blinking Apple is to tell you that the alarm went
off even if the Mac was not on at the time.  Hope this helps.  Oh, you get out
of the alarm clock by simply clickin the close box.

Mark Cookson

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (08/05/88)

You don't stop the insertion point from blinking.  The most you can do is
slow it down.  But that also makes the time it is off longer.  I find that if
you put it on the fastest setting it ok to look at.

Forgive my spelling, it is late...

Mark Cookson

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (08/06/88)

Have you tried checking the ALARM CLOCK Desk Accessory?  Sounds like the
symptoms of someone setting your ALARM, and never turning it off...

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (08/11/88)

In article <9663@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>In article <109@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) writes:
>>I tried the Alarm Clock on a Mac Plus under 6.0:
>>I got an Apple alternating with a little clock
>>once the alarm went off.
>
>Neat!  They are using the Notification Manager now for that!  Basically, the
>notification manager, which is in sys 6, allows you to display an icon in
>succession with the apple in the menu as well as put a diamond next to the
>requesting-attention da or appl.

Good to see someone noticed!  BTW, PrintMonitor also uses the Notification
Manager.

						_emt

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (08/15/88)

If you want to make the cursor not blink, you can try this:

Hit the interrupt switch to get into the debugger. Set the longword at
location 2F4 to a very large number (say 0FFFFFFF). Exit the debugger.
Now enter your favorite word processor. The cursor should now not blink.

What you've actually done is set the caret blink time to be very long.
The cursor is still blinking, but in ultra slo-motion. Warning: the cursor
may disappear with this technique - when it is in the hidden part of the
blink cycle. Clicking somewhere should make it come back.

You can use the control panel to change this back.

Bob Hablutzel
BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (08/30/88)

In article <9750@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>Which leads me to a question:  Is there any hooks in the system that allows you
>to use a similar beast for non System 6.0 users?  I would like to be able to
>alert 5.0 (and below) users of new mail in this subtle way (Yes, I could use
>a Dialog box, which is what we do now, but it is really imposing to some people)
>Is there any way to use either the NM or something that acts similar to it on
>earlier systems?

'Fraid not.  The NM is entirely new for 6.0.  Unfortunately Apple has not
devised a way to change system software without shipping a new version.
Now that would be a trick.  If you plan to use the Notification Manager, you
will either have to insist upon 6.0 or later, or be prepared to deal with
its absense.

							_emt

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (08/31/88)

Why can't APPLE overwrite the apple menu with an alarm clock, instead
of just blinking the d*mn thing!?!?  This would give most users a
PRAYER of figuring out what is going on!

I can't believe Apple doesn't have a user-interface design group that
hasn't solved this confusion problem!  Or do the user-interface people
at Apple have no say any more??

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (09/01/88)

ummm....errr,, like, well, if you're running System version 6.0 or
later the Notification Manager does just that.  It make the menu title
alternate between the standard (or rainbow) apple and a teeensy weeensy version
of the alarm clock.

_DHMS
David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA      MCIMail: DSpector          New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"What computer puts out work like this?"  "Hire us and we'll tell you."
XYZZYGLORP

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (04/10/90)

In article <10748@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
>I guess this question has floated around in the past, but my friend back
>home has a Mac, and he is complaining that the Apple in the Apple menu is
>consistantly blinking, yet there is NO Alarm Clock DA installed.
>
>He's running a stock Mac Plus with no inits other than suitcase and pyro.
>Any ideas?

The Alarm Clock DA doesn't have to be installed for the little apple to flash.
The alarm on that particular Mac was set somehow and has only now decided to
go off.  Go find a copy of the Alarm Clock DA and turn it off.  It's annoying.

steve  :-)